Hissing Sound

dfusconi

TDI
jetta
i AM EXPEIRENCING A HISSING NOISE AFTER APPLIYING FULLTHROTTLE AFTER 3 SECONDS ESPECIALY UP HILLS UNDER LOAD. SOUNDS LIKE AIR BEING LET OUT OF A TIRE.
2003 JETTA TDI 1.9 TURBO.

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat sedan, 1997, maroon, 129k mi.
I guess that the turbochargers can be heard, but I've never heard mine. Start by inspecting your air path from the turbocharger to the intake manifold for splits. A leaky place would probably be oily too.

Last edited:

Nico3d3

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2001
i AM EXPEIRENCING A HISSING NOISE AFTER APPLIYING FULLTHROTTLE AFTER 3 SECONDS ESPECIALY UP HILLS UNDER LOAD. SOUNDS LIKE AIR BEING LET OUT OF A TIRE.
Are you a new owner of a TDI? Cause, as Wook660 said what you described seem to be the normal noise of the turbo. When you give load to the engine, the turbo adjust itself to give more boost pressure and that's why you hear the hissing noise of air being compressed and blowned into the intake.

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
dfusconi said:
Check carefully for any place air can leak out 'downstream' of the turbo compressor. If band clamps were ever not properly installed, air can leak there or through any cracks in the plastic "plumbing". The fact that your car continues to run with power (it does, doesn't it?) and not go into 'limp home' mode indicates a leak and not a popped off hose.:)

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
Normally I cannot hear the turbo whine until my window is open and I'm passing an object that will reflect the sound into the car... but I always smile when I hear it.

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Normally I cannot hear the turbo whine until my window is open and I'm passing an object that will reflect the sound into the car... but I always smile when I hear it.
Yeah! :) I haven't had the satisfaction of that, but maybe I haven't had the right conditions with the window down. I can hear my Dodge's (Cummins) easily, but the TDI is pretty quiet.

Back to the topic at hand. What is the history of this car? Is this noise something new?

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
:p Well, we're having a conversation here, but not with the owner of the patient! Maybe he'll check in soon.

dfusconi

TDI
jetta
This is the fifth year owning my 2003 TDI. After having my timing belt replaced....I have noticed the HISSING sound:confused:

Wook660

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Red Jetta GL TDI 5 speed
Ahh, the plot thickens. So the belt was just replaced, some of the plumbing has been removed and reinstalled. As stated in the above replies, check the entire air flow for loose ends.

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think that a properly done timing belt job could explain the noise, but maybe something wasn't put back correctly or was damaged in the process and now you have a leak.

Last edited: