Exaust

Mscarchuk

TDI
Golf
Hello i am lookin into doing a "custom" exhaust on my 2013 golf tdi. I dont want to remove the dpf or cat too much bs work. But is there a place that makes resonator deletes or how much work is it to make your own. I want to make the car a little louder and roll some coal hopefully. Exhaust work is the last step before i have everything planned out. Thanks alot.
Ps sorry about my lingo used to the diesel truck scene more

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
If you're not removing anything else then you won't be successful in changing the exhaust tone or "rolling coal." If you're just looking for aesthetics then you can do a muffler delete and weld some nice tips on but it won't do anything for noise.

Mscarchuk

TDI
Golf
Well i am also planning on a plug and play chip and a cai. But i wanted to do the resonater because a cat bak for me has too much turbo for me. And i cant find an aftermarket exhaust for this car with a muffler.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Well i am also planning on a plug and play chip and a cai. But i wanted to do the resonater because a cat bak for me has too much turbo for me. And i cant find an aftermarket exhaust for this car with a muffler.

Learn (read) first and spend money second - you will end up much happier in the long run.

1) You will not "roll coal" in a clean diesel unless you do several illegal modifications. Discussing this is against forum rules. If you bought a diesel so you could roll coal:
a) You bought the wrong car.
b) You might want to grow up a bit. There is no need to give diesel cars a bad reputation.

2) Add-on tuning boxes (plug-n-play chip) are lame compared to a real ECU tune. They can't do as much good and they might do more harm. Stick with a well known tuner.
3) Aftermarket CAIs are mostly useless (except to create a little more noise). Your car left the factory with an excellent Cold Air Intake. Aftermarket CAIs are designed to move money from your wallet to someone else's wallet. Read this thread for more info: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290373
4) Cat back (legal) exhaust modifications (or even a straight pipe) will do nothing for power and only slightly increase noise. Most of the "muffling" in our cars occurs in the emissions control system, and modifying that is highly illegal.

Welcome to the TDIClub - the best place on the internet for TDI help.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
If you're not removing anything else then you won't be successful in changing the exhaust tone or "rolling coal." If you're just looking for aesthetics then you can do a muffler delete and weld some nice tips on but it won't do anything for noise.
I still can't roll coal :(

Alas it's probably better this way. :rolleyes:

Without removing everything else a muffler will just make your car sound more like a vacuum cleaner.

You could contact these guys: http://www.saber-edv.co.uk/

Maybe they could modify their box to just be an exhaust clip that varies on throttle :D

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
A late 80s/early 90s 12valve Cummins is more what your looking for. Hope you enjoy the new TDI!

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
No, there isn't much noise in the first place....even running a straight pipe out of the turbo won't make much more noise - the turbo alone tames the bark considerably.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Learn (read) first and spend money second - you will end up much happier in the long run.

1) You will not "roll coal" in a clean diesel unless you do several illegal modifications. Discussing this is against forum rules. If you bought a diesel so you could roll coal:
a) You bought the wrong car.
b) You might want to grow up a bit. There is no need to give diesel cars a bad reputation.

Definitely a massive +1 on point b! Mine smokes a tiny bit when it is cold, and cold out, but not once it warms up, regardless of how hard I work the loud pedal. It is far quieter than a stock thunder bunny. there is a reason diesels have a negative image in this country, people think they are loud, smelly and dirty. A little good will might have better options on the road than the crop of over hyped hybrids and under thought dismal ranged electrics the govt is currently subsidizing.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
the only thing you can do and not to void warranty on the dpf is to get the AWE Tuning stainless catback, or just the GTI muffler with the rear diffuser, for looks

N41EF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf, 2009 ML 320, 2006 NB, 2001 NB
I have an aFe stainless cat back. Dropped prob 20 pounds from the rear of the car. Does have a nice dual polished stainless tips. Maybe a little more tone, not much. I got mine at a reasonable price through eBay.

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
Zipping around today, I thought the car was a bit loud when I stepped on it. Maybe it's just me... although it seemed to be more engine noise than exhaust? I don't have any desire to make it louder.

As for cars with aftermarket exhausts, most of these don't sound good on the outside or inside. Even some that sound nice and loud on the outside are punishing to the driver; I'd never stand to drive in a car that droned while going down the highway. I had a cat-back with a resonator installed on one car -- now that sounded great. Deeper tone when you got on it without droning. But I spent a lot of time researching my options.

For the Golf, I got these nice shiny tips. :)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you delete the cat do you need a tune?
If you are talking about a 2009+ TDI, the simple answer is yes. There are actually 3 catalytic converters with different purposes. There is also a DPF. Each of these has a regeneration cycle that is done at least occasionally. Removing any of these devices will require a custom tune to eliminate the regeneration cycles or you will have to live with a CEL. That said, if you bought a "clean diesel", why not keep it that way.

Have Fun!

Don

Mscarchuk

TDI
Golf
Thought there were only 2 and a resonator. But i am talking about the cat farthest back. But regardless of the emissions all diesel is cleaner than and gas car. GO GREEN BLOW BLACK

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thought there were only 2 and a resonator.

There is the DOC (Diesel Oxidation Catalyst) which comes before the DPF. Then there is the NOx Storage Catalyst (after the DPF), then the Exhaust valve, and then the H2S Catalytic converter. After this there are one or two mufflers (or resonators). It's a very complicated exhaust system and the removal of anything except the mufflers is highly illegal and will require a custom tune. Also removing the mufflers and installing just a straight pipe has very little effect on the noise the car makes. Almost all of teh "muffling" occurs in the emissions control system.

If you want to learn more, do a search for the 2.0L common rail self study guide.

But i am talking about the cat farthest back. But regardless of the emissions all diesel is cleaner than and gas car. GO GREEN BLOW BLACK
Diesel emissions are different from a gasser, but not necessarily cleaner. Blowing black is not clean, and it gives diesel engines a bad name. It is not cool, it only shows that you are wasting fuel.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited: