How to get 200 WHP

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
ah.. I tought the vnt20 on this board always was a gt2052v from audi v6..

at least all the pics I've seen called vnt20 looked like the audi cartidge..

VwPodRacer

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD150, 98 Jetta TDI
Rub87 said:
ah.. I tought the vnt20 on this board always was a gt2052v from audi v6..

at least all the pics I've seen called vnt20 looked like the audi cartidge..
all nicks turbo's are custom.. so who knows what stuff he puts on them and were he gets them from.. only he knows:D but all i know is the turbo for the 150 that i got is SWEET:eek:

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
Ill be over 300 by next year. oh and to who asked i got 39 MPG on this last tank. Its the same tank i used to dyno and give test rides

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
Rub87 said:
Yes, you will definatly, with the long runner manifolds etc, lol
:confused: what you think you cant get 300 out of a 1.9? There is a very long list of things to get dun to get there.

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
im sure 300 can be achieved from any 1.9L. how long it will last is the hard part. i think anyone can throw on 36psi or more of boost with a vnt25 or larger and dyno it to hit those numbers 1 time...but we all look for reliability.

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
yep thats why ill be getting new rods and pistons and lowering the compression plus pd150 head bolts just to name a few .

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
bencarr23 said:
Why ?? I dont get it . Is my manifold funny? please do explain
No, it's not funny, Rub87's comment was funny. Your manifold is fine.
Is it better than stock, I would assume yes.
Is it better than PD150, I would assume yes.
Do I think it's the best design available, yes.
Do I think it looks good, yes.
Do I think Nick did a good job, building a nice looking, simple, easy to make, able to fit in available space, presumably better than any normal factory TDI manifold, YES.

I got a chuckle from his comment, nothing more.

You purchased it, i'm sure your happy with it, that's all that really matters at the end of the day.
Not what anyone else says.

Last edited:

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
For 300 You do need to do something for the bottom end and definantly alot for airflow. Head and a cam is a must.

And for turbos forget about any passenger vehicle VNT. Too small and not able to produce preasureratios mutch above 3. That and the fact that the damn shaft is so thin it wouldnt last for long even with a better compressor wheel was used. If using VNT turbo you will need something in the balpark of GT32V to get there. And that thing is huge :D

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Hmm what do you suggest we wager on ;)And about the turbo or the airflow mods?

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
hatemi said:
For 300 You do need to do something for the bottom end and definantly alot for airflow. Head and a cam is a must.

And for turbos forget about any passenger vehicle VNT. Too small and not able to produce preasureratios mutch above 3. That and the fact that the damn shaft is so thin it wouldnt last for long even with a better compressor wheel was used. If using VNT turbo you will need something in the balpark of GT32V to get there. And that thing is huge :D

Port and polish + larger valves. I already haev a spare Cam.

Street Toys

Veteran Member
TDI
sold
Yes, the bottom end must be fortified. Yes you do need the airflow.

I can and will produce 300 HP with a passenger grade VNT frame!;)

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Yes you can because you have the tools and the know how to machine the parts. But the fact remains that the lack of suitable compressor wheel is still there. At least from a small frame VNT that is :D With effort anything can be made fit :D

A GT3063V would be my guess of a turbo that can actually get 300 crank on a 1.9TDI ;)

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
hatemi said:
A GT3063V would be my guess of a turbo that can actually get 300 crank on a 1.9TDI ;)
And a turbo that big would need... what do you think, 3800 rpms to spool up? I'd prefer power from 2200 up to 4700 and beyond that ben's car likely generates now.

Personally, I think bencarr needs to take a deep breath and be comfortable with the absolutely bad ass TDI that he's got at the moment. It's okay that you still get dusted by Mustangs with blowers, dude! Don't let it hurt your pride, your car kicks ass, and everyone on the forum wants what you've already got, at the moment.

Brian.Burress

Veteran Member
Copperas Cove, TX most of the Time, Lebanon, IN us
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, TipTronic GONE...
johnnloki said:
Personally, I think bencarr needs to take a deep breath and be comfortable with the absolutely bad ass TDI that he's got at the moment. It's okay that you still get dusted by Mustangs with blowers, dude! Don't let it hurt your pride, your car kicks ass, and everyone on the forum wants what you've already got, at the moment.
I second that everyone wants what you already have, but on second thought, I believe that it's somewhere in all of us that once we do one mod, you want to see how much more you can get. I know I'm guilty on that one and all I have is a tune.:)

There's definitely something to say about any one of the people's cars on this forum that are pushing the "limits" so to say. They have done what some of the rest of us on this forum could only dream of, but if someone wants something bad enough, they will go for it.

Maybe Ben doesn't like getting dusted by Mustangs with blowers. Plus, it would be kind of cool to see a TDI dust (or soot:)) a Mustang with a blower. Definitely unexpected. I'm sure it's completely possible with a deep enough wallet though.:)

I for one will still be behind Ben cheering him on with his future upgrades. Mabe I will get lucky and I can buy the parts off him that he takes off and replaces with better ones.:cool:

I'll stop ranting now...

-Brian

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
bencarr23 said:
OK 19500 out the door for my car lets round to 7000 for mods thats 26500 and i have 200+ whp in a tdi so i know what it cost.

Where on EARTH can you get a 4 door BMW for 26500 Much less there 335d a base 335I is 32000 and that is not what you will pay at the dealer.thats a diff. of atleast 5500 and thats being nice more like 10000 more. dont get me wrong it looks like a nice car but to say you can get a BMW for the price of my car and mods would be Dead wrong.
I have no doubt your car is awesome and costs far less than said BMW. However, last I checked there were zero new TDIs to be had. When they do become available I think they will cost a bit more than you paid. Also, the BMW has significantly more than 200 HP. Hence my point. My original statement was that the world is changing and very soon there will be options. It was not meant to cast dispersions on you nor anyone else who drives a TDI. Obviously I love mine and would be quite happy with yours.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
hatemi said:
Yes you can because you have the tools and the know how to machine the parts. But the fact remains that the lack of suitable compressor wheel is still there. At least from a small frame VNT that is :D With effort anything can be made fit :D

Why such big hotside? bigger turbine, less shaft rpm, and for PR's or 3.5 you'll need plenty of tip speed, so maybe when you use a little smaller turbine with good exducer and a 60 pr 63mm comp wheel you can achieve acceptable effeciency at a little over 25lbs/min and PR of 3+

apomiett

Veteran Member
TDI
A2 mTDI
Actually the turbine of the GT3063v isn`t that big. If i recall it right it has something like 48mm turbine exducer. It has douple axis vnt mechanism and even Garrett says it can take +3.5 bar EMPs easily. The compressor has ~48 trim so tip speed shouldn`t be a problem.

Hatemis previouse turbo had 45.x mm turbine and it made 200+ hp between 3000-5300 rpm so i dont think spooling is that big of a problem. And if someone thinks he can get 300hp and spool at 2200 rpm with diesel only should wake up.

Street Toys

Veteran Member
TDI
sold
apomiett said:
Actually the turbine of the GT3063v isn`t that big. If i recall it right it has something like 48mm turbine exducer. It has douple axis vnt mechanism and even Garrett says it can take +3.5 bar EMPs easily. The compressor has ~48 trim so tip speed shouldn`t be a problem.

Hatemis previouse turbo had 45.x mm turbine and it made 200+ hp between 3000-5300 rpm so i dont think spooling is that big of a problem. And if someone thinks he can get 300hp and spool at 2200 rpm with diesel only should wake up.
I'm drinking my coffee as we speak!:D

TDIfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
Multivan AHY, Golf CFFB DSG, A6Q 4F 2.7 TDI CANC, 7 meter boat with ALH.
Well I'm sipping some tea while measuring the wheels of the very GT3063V we speak of. :p
Turbine is 53 mm at largest diameter and 47.4 mm at exducer. It has 10 blades while the small frame vnts have 9 blades.
Compressor is 43.7/63 mm. Exducer might be a bit too high for small engine but it can be reduced.

Who wants to test the hp-capability? ;)

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Post some pics, as I'm making new manifold soon I can maybe make it more GT30v friendly:D

Street Toys

Veteran Member
TDI
sold
hatemi said:

Thats why I make my own custom compressor wheels!:D

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
I would have been very intrested in testing it myself, but the Holset we traded it for should be a better turbo for our 1.6td project. One of the best things about that VNT is the possibility to modify the compressor housing to have the "surge preventing"groove machined. I'm sure the curent owner will have a blast with that turbo. As I see it its the best candidate for ~300hp TDI. Even gt32v should be ok but all I have found are so damn large!

Heres a few pictures of the GT3063v.

And the rest of the pictures I took can be found here: http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k37/hatemi/gt3063klv/

fishmando

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd
loudspl said:
....bringing this thread back hoping to find out more about the GT3063V

anyone have any luck with this on 1.9 TDI?
I think I read that hatemi was running a gt3067 on his... could be wrong though.

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
Nerdkiller said:
Tried and true sports cars that handle better, are faster, and look a hell of alot cooler. These are not opions. These are the facts...
opion... :D looking cool is a fact! :confused: good to know! I thought that was an opinion! :D

Nerdkiller said:
...Or until you have a respectable 1/4 second mile.
Holy cow that's fast! :eek: I'm sure you will need something far cooler then a TDI! :D that's 5.357xxx times faster then an SR71 at top speed! ;)