Time to replace my turbo

Sam Carleton

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 2002 Galactic Blue
Folks,
The jury is in, it is time to change the turbo in my 2002 NB. She has 166,000 miles on it and is leaking oil into the hose between the turbo and the engine. I have multiple folks, and now today the dealer, tell me that it is most definitely the turbo going bad.

So, I have done a fair amount of work on my car, from the looks of it the only really hard part is the actual placement of the turbo in the NB. Are there any write-ups on how to replace it? Do I need a new manifold, too? Can anyone provide torque specs? Also, the turbo from the dealer was like $1150 including the manifold. Where can I go to get it cheaper?

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Sam

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Bentley manual is good to have. If you need to ask, you should probably have someone else do it for you.

You are close to Jon Hamilton. He can install it for you in no time. Send me an e-mail and I'll give you his contact info.

teichman317

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 NB
Sam

I just bought a vnt-17 from Kerma. Good service and no difficulties to install. A stock turbo would be just the same effort. When I say no difficulties all went well just a few labor hours. And BTW I have not worked on cars in 30 years - Holy cow is that true!

killerjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2001, White
Most of the problems people run into with the VNT17 installs are getting the EGR cooler to fit, custom making a downpipe to fit, custom making intercooler piping, and possible oil line issues. However, if you go with Kerma's stuff everything will bolt right up.

If everything "bolts up," it usually takes me about 2 hours to swap a turbo.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
killerjetta said:
Most of the problems people run into with the VNT17 installs are getting the EGR cooler to fit, custom making a downpipe to fit, custom making intercooler piping, and possible oil line issues. However, if you go with Kerma's stuff everything will bolt right up.

If everything "bolts up," it usually takes me about 2 hours to swap a turbo.
The only difficulty or problem people run into when installing the vnt17 is the rubber hose connection between the lower intercooler pipe and the turbo is different. Its easily solved by buying the pd rubber hose.
The rain tray is removed on the beetle so you have more access to the back of the motor. Remove the intake manifold, then the turbo. Lifts right out from above.

killerjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2001, White
Not so, in order to get my vnt17 to fit I had to do the following: modifiy the downpipe (flange had to be rotated 45 degrees), completely remove the EGR cooler, change the lower IC piping, and bend the upper oil line to fit. It all depends on what car you get your vnt17 from.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
The vnt-17 I have bolts right in like a stock turbo in an ALH except for the compressor outlet adapter.
Sounds like he wants a stock turbo, anyway.

OKAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta/Bora Wagon 2002 Black, 2006 Jetta TDI
I have a used VNT15 with 40K miles on it for sale. PM me if you're interested.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
How much oil is it leaking exactly? Because it is normal for there to be some oil in the hoses and intercooler between the turbo and engine.