02J shifter swap kit for 02A transmissions

mrurbina

Vendor
TDI
MK4 jetta tdi , alh wagon
All 02Js are the same gas or diesel. I unfortunately don't have any TT shifter weights at the moment. (they are just a oem "shorter throw weight" ,that's the only difference)

paczo911

TDI
1.9TDi
Hello All, newbie to the forum here, by the way it is a great place!

I would like to ask you about the 02A to 02J conversion, which many VW fanatics are doing.
I've got a project car - Mk3 GTi 16V 1996, ABF engine with the stock 02A CDA code gearbox.

If I remember correctly, installing the 02J into my car if I don't want to do any cutting, requires a VW Polo shift box and the internals of the VW Golf 4/Skoda Octavia/Seat Leon shift mechanism inside of it, right?
Probably there was a discussion of what I am about to ask next, but here goes - isn't it possible to just take the Polo's shift box along with its own internals and directly swap it in my Mk3 GTi? I am just wondering and I did not find any info on this...

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

mrurbina

Vendor
TDI
the polo itself quite short so i'm not sure if the cables are any shorter vs the mk4 cars. The only reason the polo box is used it's because it has the right shape(shaped like the 02a shifter box) and that box uses the correct relay lever in the box so you don't have to open the side a few mm. You'd have to buy it from mexico or europe on ebay.it's just cheaper to modify either the box or the shifter opening to make it work ..not much science in doing the swap. I had a 2013 shifter fitted in my mk3 so , anything is possible.

btw you don't need to cut ,you could use a grinder or cut off wheel to open it a few mm to get it open enough and drill either the box or the shifter opening to make it work.

Last edited:

81dzlcaddy

TDI
caddy idi 1.6
Just bought a kit from Mr Urbina. He was great to work with and he had it to me before the weekend which was a great plus. Thank you for the fast turn around and having the smaller parts bagged was a great.

mrurbina

Vendor
TDI
back from the dead lol ..I'm now stocked with plenty of them after being out for a while !! first come, first serve!

damac

Veteran Member
TDI
none
i can't see pictures but got some questions for my project. im swapping a mtdi alh engine into mk2 golf.

i have diesel bare 02a trannys.

on the donor 2000 jetta diesel i unbolted the assembly from its tranny and kept all that hooked up to the shifter box/cables.

so does that simply just bolt onto the selector on my tranny? or was i supposed to pull some guts out of the jetta?

also wondering if i need any kind of brackets that bolt onto the tranny? right now for whatever reason my tranny is bare. when searching around i seem to see results for 02a bracket that holds shifter cables? and also another long looking bracket on the drivers side that goes from motor mount area to ears toward the front. not sure if its to support shifting and/or to hold a cable? i saw that in pictures of people swapping in cable clutch conversion and am not sure what it does.

mrurbina

Vendor
TDI
I haven't done these in a while and after a few requests I went back to my source but they raised my price.

New price is 170 +shipping.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk