Stealth TDI Still Kicking...

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

My old thread had become confusing since the car had changed over the years. Now that the car's configuration is "nearly finished" (are they EVER finished?). I've opted to make a fresh post. I will update this post from time to time to reflect current mods and new photos.

My Jetta's not quite as cool as others; but I'm working on it. I've had a taste of winning the stock class in a VW show. Therefore, my focus is on LOOKING stock, but not being stock. What's the opposite of rice? I guess that's me.

My concept is simple... "Make it LOOK stock(ish)." ;) All of my mods are beneath the skin. A car that looks stock is less likely to be broken into or stolen.

Here's a photo taken at ~370,000-miles on the Tail of the Dragon:

Pretty plain? Here's the engine bay at 350,000-miles:

My hideaway communications suite:

This includes a Yaesu Dual-Band (VHF/UHF) Micro-Transceiver and a Yaesu FT-857D 12-band HF/VHF/UHF All-Mode Transceiver (both are ham radios). All items are totally invisible after quick and easy stowage.

The real goodies are always out of sight:

Left to Right - HF/VHF duplexer (for CB/scanner antenna sharing), Byonics TinyTrak3+ APRS position encoder, 300W voltage inverter, the "brain" for the VHF/UHF ham radio, a 200-watt stereo amplifier (for sub only), a ground block, a fuse block, and power distribution.

Here are the specs:

Exterior:
Classic Green Pearl
European Spec Headlamps, Hella H4 w/City Lights
OE Factory Fogs (added)
Various MF/HF/CB/VHF/UHF antennas (for Comms Suite)
Tinted Glass (35% all around)
1-1/4" Hitch Receiver (for hitch or cargo/bicyce carriers)

Engine:
1.9 Liter Direct-Injected Turbodiesel (90 hp TDI AHU)
Programming by Malone Tuning
Borg-Warner K03/K04 Hybrid Turbo
Titan P502 Injector Nozzles
PD In-Tank Lift Pump
Fuel Cooler (4-pass)
Sachs VR6 Clutch
Peloquin Torque Biasing Differential
Custom 2.5" Downpipe
Magnaflow 2.5" Diesel Catalytic Converter (#93006D)
Aero AR25 2.5" Resonator
Passat PD130 Intake Manifold
Snow Performance Water/Methanol Injection

Communications Suite:
Yaesu FT-90R Dual-Band VHF/UHF Micro-Transceiver (for APRS)
Yaesu FT-857D 12-Band HF/VHF/UHF Compact All-Mode Transceiver (100 watt Ham Radio)
Byonics TinyTrak3+ Position Encoder and GPS2 GPS Antenna/Receiver
Comet HF/VHF Duplexer (for Antenna Sharing Between CB and scanner)
TrippLite 300 Watt Voltage Inverter (for charging batteries or extended computer operations)
Yaesu ATAS-120A Active Tuning Antenna System (7-54 MHz)
Diamond VHF/UHF Antennas

Stereo:
Pioneer DEH-6900UB AM/FM/CD/USB/MP3/WMA Head Unit (w/16GB flash-drive)
Rockford Fosgate 200-2 200 Watt Amplifier (for Subwoofer)
DEI 10-inch Vented SubWoofer in 0.44 cu/ft Sealed Box
Pioneer 4" Front/Rockford Fosgate 6.5" Rear Speakers

Suspension:
Ground Control Coilover Sleeves adjusted for 1" drop
Eibach Spec Springs (430#F/340#R)
Bilstein HD Shocks/Struts
SRS Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Eurosport Upper and Lower Stress Bars
Ronal LS 15x7.5” Alloys (two sets)
BBS RZ Crosslace 14x6.5" Alloys (two sets)
My Choice of Tires in 195/60R14 (winter or travel), 225/50R14 or 225/45R15 (race), or 205/50R15 (summer)

I don't pretend to have a FAST car. But I think the term, Surprizingly Quick applies. Here's a dyno plot:

The extra torque does a great job of pulling me out of the turns at autocross events:

VARIOUS VIDEOS OF MY CAR

AUTObiography Feature at VWVortex.

I think that about covers it... ;) See my car at StealthTDI.com for more details and the photos that weren't posted here. Oh, my car still gets about 40-mpg with all the city driving around here. I can get about 55-mpg on the highway if I'm nice... which is quite seldom. My longest tank was 909-miles. My best economy was a no-nonsense 62.4-mpg!

Take Care,

Scott

Last edited:

Pudder_wagon

TDI
2000 Jedda Red
I'm new to the TDI thing, but I've seen your car around and am a big fan of the stealth electronics you have done. I've added an aftermarket stereo that includes the Serius radio tuner and DVD player in 1 unit. I also have a tweaked CB radio from my truck, but I haven't been able to find a place to hide it.
Good job on the car. keep it up.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
That Baby is seriously clean! I am a HUGE fan of looking stock and not being stock, I give you two thumbs up!

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Once again, nice job Scott!
Now we need to get you a hybrid turbo!

-BB

01tj

Veteran Member
TDI
not yet
Nice ride. I think it is much better to look stock and not be than to like like most of the ricers (wing's wheels and nothing under the hood).

Like the CB mods too. I don't think I could go without a CB in my Jeep

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

Thanks for the comments, guys. I was on the fence about a CB. Having a ham radio in the car, about all a CB is good for is tuning in during traffic jams to see what truckers see (and my FT-857D has Ch.19 programmed). Once in a blue moon I'll get a call from someone who sees antennas and assumes I have a CB. So it's good to be able to answer.

Scott

Last edited:

01tj

Veteran Member
TDI
not yet
I use my CB in my Jeep all of the time. Most of our Jeep club members have one so we can all talk on trail runs. May be a good idea for tdiclub members

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

CB antennas are stylish on trucks. So one is likely to choose this as a popular form of communication. However, most VW enthusiasts are unlikely to put a CB antenna on a VW. HOWEVER, FRS is another alternative. FRS radios are good for about 1-mile. So cars on the highway can easily talk between one another.

When I used to drive with NorCalVW, EVERYONE had an FRS radio. We'd stay on the same channel. The lead guy would call out police or other reports. The last guy (sweeper) would report any stragglers or problems. I often monitored the police band with my scanner to ensure a large group of VWs wasn't attracting unwanted attention.
Unfortunately, my VW club over here isn't quite that organized. But that's okay. Given some of their posting habits, I'm not sure I'd wanna talk to them on the radio anyway.

Take Care,

Scott

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
Hi Scott: Your car is looking as good as ever, perhaps better! With the FSR radios, we still use them on our driving trips up here. As you well know, it can be pretty funny hearing Pyce tell all his stories and Norman and Peter C. making comments about all the lame drivers we pass when those radios are on...

Dan

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Those dual antennas look super sharp.

Oh, and you cheated. You got your car repainted by insurance
J/K of corse.

-J

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

Those dual antennas look super sharp.
I wanted to get a photo that captures BOTH antennas; and now the XM radio antenna. So here's a new photo:

Oh, and you cheated. You got your car repainted by insurance
J/K of corse.
Okay, I cheated.
But this paint job still has over 70,000-miles on it.

Scott

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
I'm impressed!!! You'd be the one to ask. Laptop stands that fit a Jetta. Any ideas?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

It was pretty exciting to watch the car cross a significant milestone...

:cool:

Take Care,

Scott

Last edited:

tdiflorida

TDI
2006 TDI Campanella White PKG1 XM Sat Radio
Great job with the video! I felt like getting in my Jetta and turning up the music. Great song to go with the video. Thanks for posting this!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

1001100 said:
Think I could be the Beetle Version of Stealth?!?!?!?!?
Only if you have a bunch of neat stuff packed in there and hidden from sight. ;) Thanks for the remarks, everyone!

Scott

DannyRay

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
Inspired

Scott, You inpired me and I have a 2002 GLS that I have tried to keep stock looking as well (stealth). I have larger nozzles and chip tune and hidden glass pack with turn down and a cheezed air box. If you open the hood it looks stock. The mustangs don't like it when they can't leave me in the dust on the highway. I would like to try an auto-x someday if I get some tires. I have Montreal II's 16" wheels on it. What would you suggest for tires? A guy has some 225/50-16's I can get used.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

It depends on whether you want tires you can drive on the street every day or if you want to have a separate set of wheels just for racing. For every day tires, I recommend Azenis RT-615s. I don't know if they're available in your size... I use 195/60R14... and they're CHEAP for what you get. Check www.edgeracing.com for your size. But they're not good in the winter if it snows where you are. If you have a separate set of wheels, visit The Tire Rack and search for "COMPETITION" tires. Something will come up. No matter what you choose, the difference over a street tire will be amazing!

Good Luck,

Scott

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
Hey Scott, long time no talk. Just wanted to say your car is looking better than ever! How was the response to your car at the car show? Lots of interest in the TDI and your experiences? Just wondering....

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, Dan!

Not as much interest since the appearance is so subdued. I still get plenty of shocks over the 55-mpg sticker under the hood. I'm also considering a slimmed down version of my display with larger text. I think most folks wanna take a quick peek... not stand in front of the car and read all of that crap. ;)

I took first place in the TDI Fest's A3 class with a "Jekyll & Hyde" theme:

Hauling that setup such a distance and then setting it up at the hotel was a PITA. So I think I'm reserving that theme for local shows only.

I recently attended H2O International and took third place in the 98+ A3 Mild category:

Again, the car's appearance is pretty subdued. So I'm honored to have been recognized at such a large event with so much competition. I was certain the "cooler" modded cars would have eclipsed me. My attention to detail must have made the difference.

Take Care,

Scott

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Were you sitting right by your car all day? I would be afraid of someone helping themselves to the goodies in the trunk.

I have to admit I copied you at a show I entered in a while back, and my VAG-COM got locked inside when I wasn't around.

-Jason

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

I felt pretty safe at the TDI Fest. We were in pretty good company. Regardless, the most expensive thing in the trunk that day was my helmet. That "tool box" is just a $45 kit for minor stuff. I got it just for shows and maybe a minor job at my part-time residence in MD.

I was a LITTLE concerned at H2Oi. I had all of my bags packed from my trip home. But I never took anything out. I didn't stay at a hotel; so no one ever saw what I placed back there... especially the laptop (all black bags in a black trunk... tough to see details). With the exception of the laptop and some clothes, everything in the trunk was pretty inexpensive. Even without the laptop, it would hurt if someone took it ALL ($45 toolkit, $15 fuel can, fuel filter, oil filter, etc... it all adds up). But the casual thief would likey have taken just one thing. Any more that a quick single-item snatch would've taken BALLS in broad daylight with lots of people around. But I guess anything can happen. :(

Oh, what did you copy from my car? My trunk display? I haven't bothered to set out the VAG-COM as a display item. That's too expensive and to easy to snatch. I've considered making a dummy VAG-COM to set out at shows. :cool: That would be a good test to see what kind of folks are checking out my car. :eek:

Take Care,

Scott

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
I had a biodiesel jug, some tools and a tool box, a fuel filter, and my vag-com. I thought it looked pritty smart :) Several people asked me about biodiesel, it was nice to inform them!

-J