Electrical Question

favors_poppa

TDI
2006 Jetta
Not new to the group. Was around several years ago under the name jsw5620 but sold my TDI. I’ve read all of the no start threads. I have the opportunity to buy a 2006 Jetta with 256k miles on the odometer for $450. Car is pretty clean with only the sagging headliner. Car belonged to a guy’s wife that traveled and was paid mileage. He bought a new one for her and this one developed the no start. Supposedly he changed the ignition switch. I hooked jumper cables to the car. Interior lights work, radio works, and keyless works. Nothing else. Turn the key and it does nothing. Did find a plug on ignition unhooked and plugged it in and made no difference. I tried the J329 relay but no luck. Appears to not be getting power to it. I can jump terminal 87 and 30 and dash comes alive. I don’t have VagCom to read codes. Just curious if this sounds like a simple fix and worth $450. Dealer told the guy it was computer and wanted $1500 to replace everything so he sold it to a mechanic friend of mine for $450. I’m not sure if the switch was changed. The one laying in the floor has no vw markings on it. Anything I can easily try to see if this car has any life left instead of being a lawn ornament if I buy it? Thanks again and it’s great to be back!

favors_poppa

TDI
2006 Jetta
Gear indicator was flashing when J329 was jumped. Not sure if that just because it’s been sitting or what.

favors_poppa

TDI
2006 Jetta
No luck with the switch. It’s like a key isn’t even there. Checked all grounds and they are good. Only thing that will come on is the radio and interior lights. No dash lights, no chimes, nothing. Swapped J329 as well. ����*♂����*♂����*♂

favors_poppa

TDI
2006 Jetta
Well resolved the issue. Someone pulled the SWCM fuse. Replaced it and now the key won’t come out of the ignition. Car cranks but but no start and no glowplug lights.

favors_poppa

TDI
2006 Jetta
Relay 100 engine bay fuse box doesn’t seem to be getting the ground signal to energize. Manually energize it and the fans will come on but still no start condition.