VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Did you call Hagens Berman or VW Claims line? Did you get any more background on what "branded offer" means
That came from claims line. The guy at the line did not elaborate other than he thought it meant progress and my claim was somehow annotated that way. He said call back next week to check again. Not sure why.

Brica

TDI
Passat
I call yesterday and I got the same answer like fookin.
Today I call again for two more cars and answer back again with no timeframe.
So I don't know what to believe anymore.

1842 TDI

TDI
2014 Jetta
Letter from VW

I got a letter from VW via FedEx delivered today. No new information but at least I am not being completely ignored.

Here is the letter:
We are contacting you in regards to the claims you have filed in the 2.0-liter and 3.0-liter TDI Settlement Programs. Volkswagen is currently reviewing your claim submissions and documentation to determine your eligibility to participate in the 2.0-liter and 3.0-liter TDI Settlement Programs. Please note that all of your associated claims are undergoing further review and your currently appointments may be provisionally cancelled. Any additional claims you file before Volkswagen has completed its review may also require additional review and further delay the processing of your claims. Volkswagen will update you once it has completed its review of your claims.

Sincerely,

Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.​

Not that I had any scheduled closing appointments to cancel and I definitely don't like the part about determining my eligibility. Since I already know I am eligible it sounds like they are trying to weasel out of their responsibility.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I got a letter from VW via FedEx delivered today. No new information but at least I am not being completely ignored.

Here is the letter:
We are contacting you in regards to the claims you have filed in the 2.0-liter and 3.0-liter TDI Settlement Programs. Volkswagen is currently reviewing your claim submissions and documentation to determine your eligibility to participate in the 2.0-liter and 3.0-liter TDI Settlement Programs. Please note that all of your associated claims are undergoing further review and your currently appointments may be provisionally cancelled. Any additional claims you file before Volkswagen has completed its review may also require additional review and further delay the processing of your claims. Volkswagen will update you once it has completed its review of your claims.

Sincerely,

Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.​

Not that I had any scheduled closing appointments to cancel and I definitely don't like the part about determining my eligibility. Since I already know I am eligible it sounds like they are trying to weasel out of their responsibility.
Interesting that they make it clear that you have multiple claims and that ALL of them are effected. Have you had claims determined to be "ineligible" already and removed from the portal or are they just stuck on step 15?

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q7 TDI & VW Passat TDI
new member - salvage questions

Hi TDI folks.
I am one of those evil (in eyes of VW) salvage owners. I read (most) of this thread and got a lot of good information. I think we are all in the same boat. Wait until end of the year when hopefully we will get a good result.
It is amazing to me that VW will spend $30B on this lawsuit and wrote a vague document in terms of salvage (restitution payments unclear). My guess is this was intentional, so they could weasel out of some payments. Like many, I relied on this document and made decisions. I have heard, like others, from plaintiff counsel about ‘spirit’. I sometimes wonder if I am talking to VW counsel or our counsel. Most plaintiff lawyers are very aggressive. These guys do not like rocking the boat with VW and have not been helpful. It is unfair that claimants must wait so long for a decision on the salvage vehicles.
A few questions –
1. Has anyone had issues with Bosch payments on clean titles? I got $350 from most but then got $175 on one. Bosch folks make VW call center people look smart (that that is hard to do). Bosch will not give my any answers. Plaintiff counsel of course is impossible to reach.
2. Has anyone written to CRC? I did on advice of counsel. I am yet to get an answer.
3. Does anyone know if anyone has hired outside counsel to push this issue? I know Duval and Mission must have lots of cars.
Thank you and I look forward to participating in this thread.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
...Any additional claims you file before Volkswagen has completed its review may also require additional review and further delay the processing of your claims...
So is this a threat that any filing of new claims will affect the processing of existing claims?

gtmule

TDI
Passat, Jetta, Passat
1) I got $175 on ALL my branded title Bosh checks where the car was turned in after about April 1.
2&3) I know others have hired atty(s) but as far as I know, nothing has come of it yet. When you say "advise of council" do you mean your atty, or the class plantiff's council? I have had about half my branded claims denied so far, but haven't appealed them yet, as I want to know what happens with the others that haven't been denied yet.

Hi TDI folks.
I am one of those evil (in eyes of VW) salvage owners. I read (most) of this thread and got a lot of good information. I think we are all in the same boat. Wait until end of the year when hopefully we will get a good result.
It is amazing to me that VW will spend $30B on this lawsuit and wrote a vague document in terms of salvage (restitution payments unclear). My guess is this was intentional, so they could weasel out of some payments. Like many, I relied on this document and made decisions. I have heard, like others, from plaintiff counsel about ‘spirit’. I sometimes wonder if I am talking to VW counsel or our counsel. Most plaintiff lawyers are very aggressive. These guys do not like rocking the boat with VW and have not been helpful. It is unfair that claimants must wait so long for a decision on the salvage vehicles.
A few questions –
1. Has anyone had issues with Bosch payments on clean titles? I got $350 from most but then got $175 on one. Bosch folks make VW call center people look smart (that that is hard to do). Bosch will not give my any answers. Plaintiff counsel of course is impossible to reach.
2. Has anyone written to CRC? I did on advice of counsel. I am yet to get an answer.
3. Does anyone know if anyone has hired outside counsel to push this issue? I know Duval and Mission must have lots of cars.
Thank you and I look forward to participating in this thread.

1842 TDI

TDI
2014 Jetta
Interesting that they make it clear that you have multiple claims and that ALL of them are effected. Have you had claims determined to be "ineligible" already and removed from the portal or are they just stuck on step 15?
I had a salvage title Audi Q7 deemed "ineligible" and removed but all my 2.0L vehicles are just sitting there waiting at step 15.

I wrote the the CRC about the Audi Q7 but have not heard anything back. Has anyone gotten a result from a review by the CRC?

So is this a threat that any filing of new claims will affect the processing of existing claims?
I had not thought of it that way, but maybe.

I have a HI salvage car that I am still trying to get an actual title to before I can finish submitting it. I tried with the Certificate of Salvage but that was rejected. I wonder if submitting a title will be considered filing a new claim or simply fixing an existing one.

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
1) I got $175 on ALL my branded title Bosh checks where the car was turned in after about April 1.
2&3) I know others have hired atty(s) but as far as I know, nothing has come of it yet. When you say "advise of council" do you mean your atty, or the class plantiff's council? I have had about half my branded claims denied so far, but haven't appealed them yet, as I want to know what happens with the others that haven't been denied yet.
XXXXX

Sorry I was not clear. Plaintiff Counsel. After numerous calls and emails I spoke to Johnathan Cohen, Ajay, and Phong Nguyen. Phong seemed the best.
He suggested I write CRC. I have not heard from CRC. I have not had a claim denied (yet).

I got $175 on a CLEAN title. I got $350 on all my other titles all clean but one.

For people with Salvage titles - What 'stage' are your claims? Do you have check marks or the dreaded eye? I have the 'eye' on some and check marks on others. Some claims have been in 'eye' status since June. Yet some I turned in after June have checks.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
I have two salvage claims with check marks and "Completed" status for a while now.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
XXXXX
Sorry I was not clear. Plaintiff Counsel. After numerous calls and emails I spoke to Johnathan Cohen, Ajay, and Phong Nguyen. Phong seemed the best.
He suggested I write CRC. I have not heard from CRC. I have not had a claim denied (yet).
I got $175 on a CLEAN title. I got $350 on all my other titles all clean but one.
For people with Salvage titles - What 'stage' are your claims? Do you have check marks or the dreaded eye? I have the 'eye' on some and check marks on others. Some claims have been in 'eye' status since June. Yet some I turned in after June have checks.
Rejected as "Ineligible" and removed from the portal.

single94

TDI
2012 passat tdi
Help from Counsel

My sentiment exactly,

" I have heard, like others, from plaintiff counsel about ‘spirit’. I sometimes wonder if I am talking to VW counsel or our counsel. Most plaintiff lawyers are very aggressive. These guys do not like rocking the boat with VW and have not been helpful. It is unfair that claimants must wait so long for a decision on the salvage vehicles."

Who's side are class councel working on now that they have been paid? Not sure what the holdup is, some claims allowed, some are not depending on factors that were not an issue originally, now held up indefinitely without a timeline. Most attorneys are aggressive to get results or to assist in any way, the hotline and attorneys do not advise of much of anything to do. The only thing with alot of coaxing is to write the crc which may take months to get a response, we do not have many choices at all left. When i wrote crc, didnt get a response that it was received by them until a month and half after submission. If anyone has had a good response from the crc please share.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
XX
Why was it rejected? Was it totalled before Sept of 2015 and purchased from junkyard after that date?
My response to VW.

I am requesting that you review your assertion that my 2011 VW Touareg TDI is ineligible to participate in the 3.0 L Settlement Program. Considering your very vague wording on why you believe that my vehicle is ineligible I received via email on 7/28/2017

(Vehicle is not eligible - Your vehicle is not eligible to participate in the Settlement Program.)

I am left to assume that you denied my request because the vehicle has a salvage title. The vehicle does have an Oregon salvage title. The vehicle is currently registered in the state of Oregon and is currently being legally operated under its own power. The vehicle was branded Salvage on 11/3/2016 and I purchased it from XXXXX Houston Texas. After reviewing the 3.0L Amended Class Action Settlement Agreement and Release I believe that this vehicle is eligible and you incorrectly ruled that it is ineligible. In order for the vehicle to be ineligible it would have to meet BOTH conditions listed in Paragraph 2.40 D, below.

(d) Owners whose Eligible Vehicle had a Branded Title of Assembled, Dismantled,
Flood, Junk, Rebuilt, Reconstructed, or Salvage on September 18, 2015, and was
acquired from a junkyard, salvage yard, or salvage dealer after September 18,
2015;

1. My 2011 Touareg TDI lux was NOT branded salvage on Sept 18, 2015 (it was branded salvage on 11/3/2016)

2. My 2011 Touareg TDI lux was NOT purchased from a junkyard after Sept 18, 2015. (it was purchased from XXXXXX)

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
My sentiment exactly,

" I have heard, like others, from plaintiff counsel about ‘spirit’. I sometimes wonder if I am talking to VW counsel or our counsel. Most plaintiff lawyers are very aggressive. These guys do not like rocking the boat with VW and have not been helpful. It is unfair that claimants must wait so long for a decision on the salvage vehicles."

Who's side are class councel working on now that they have been paid? Not sure what the holdup is, some claims allowed, some are not depending on factors that were not an issue originally, now held up indefinitely without a timeline. Most attorneys are aggressive to get results or to assist in any way, the hotline and attorneys do not advise of much of anything to do. The only thing with alot of coaxing is to write the crc which may take months to get a response, we do not have many choices at all left. When i wrote crc, didnt get a response that it was received by them until a month and half after submission. If anyone has had a good response from the crc please share.

Yes - I agree about Cabraser Firm. I am not asking for anything from that firm OTHER than the firm ask the court to enforce the document that all agreed on.

I wrote the judge complaining about Cabraser Firm (on the points you highlighted above). That got me nowhere. I did get a call from some at Cabraser office telling me the judge cannot talk to me Ex Parte. I am apoplectic at times. One of Cabraser's minions said that I 'took a chance' by purchasing a salvage title. I asked if a legally binding document is not always what it states? <crickets>.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
...One of Cabraser's minions said that I 'took a chance' by purchasing a salvage title...
Why would a lawyer say that? Is the settlement a flowery, qualitative one where the reader gets to imagine new meanings for English words? Is there written anywhere or even alluded to by quote or writing that VW has a preference over the branding stamping on the title of a car?

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Why would a lawyer say that?
I was surprised. It concerned me as I felt I had risk (for the first time). I read and re-read the relevant settlement document numerous times. Attorney Cohen opined that I was reading the document correctly. He felt I was going to get paid but he could not give any timeframe. Nothing has changed. This was several months ago. Cabreaser folks do not seem to have any urgency. I guess that is what happens when you get your fees up front instead of when everyone else gets paid.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
I feel like the plaintiff and defendant lawyers have all agreed on what the spirit of the settlement is but have failed to inform the public and that is why we're getting such obtuse responses from them. I feel like the spirit is to get cars off the road and that individuals or dealers buying from others to sell back is just a circumstantial result. But I shouldn't have to make up how I "feel" what the spirit is. It should be well documented and explicit. This hold on salvage title cars is stupid.

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
This hold on salvage title cars is stupid.
Well Stated. I would go further to say the hold on salvage is unethical and not in the spirit of the agreement. I am open to options. My feeling is give them until end of year. After that - maybe pool some resources and hire our own attorney to push this issue. There are many people in this situation.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
This email came today....

We have reviewed the documents you submitted as part of your claim with reference number XXXX. Currently, your application appears to contain all of the necessary documentation to determine your eligibility.
Next, your document package will be re-reviewed by the Court appointed Claims Supervisor to ensure completeness. If your document package is confirmed to be complete, we will proceed to determine your eligibility and will inform you whether you are eligible to participate in the Diesel Emissions Settlement Program.

This appears to be a slight amount of progress. Or not.

dcarlton

TDI
jetta
I received the same response several months ago on a salvaged titled car. Still waiting for my docs to be "re-reviewed by the Court appointed Claims Supervisor". All we can do is wait......and wait......and wait.....oh well !!!!

ujames

TDI
YES
This email came today....

We have reviewed the documents you submitted as part of your claim with reference number XXXX. Currently, your application appears to contain all of the necessary documentation to determine your eligibility.
Next, your document package will be re-reviewed by the Court appointed Claims Supervisor to ensure completeness. If your document package is confirmed to be complete, we will proceed to determine your eligibility and will inform you whether you are eligible to participate in the Diesel Emissions Settlement Program.

This appears to be a slight amount of progress. Or not.
Is this a response to the email you had sent to the CRC?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
I feel like the spirit is to get cars off the road ...

...even the ones that were put back on the road out of the junkyard?

Look, you have a point that the settlement did not expressly exclude some of the more “creative” things that were done, but saying they were in accordance with the “spirit” is a bit much.

Not all speculators bought zombie cars. Perhaps only a few engaged in slick or predatory dealing. Each person did what they did and sleeps like a baby, or doesn’t. Not my concern. But common sense and my limited intelligence tells me that the “spirit” of the settlement was very far from some of these activities.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
Is your car registered and driving? Private owner?
I'm original owner (purchased June '14). November 25, 2016, car in accident, insurance totaled it. To maintain possession, took a reduced insurance settlement, under PA rules, had to convert to a salvage certificate (no registration allowed).

Engine does start and vehicle can (sort of) be driven. Also, to convert to a rebuilt title, vehicle would have to pass a 'new vehicle' inspection, so no value to be gained there. (again, PA rules)

It appears I'm hosed. Should have taken the full insurance settlement plus original owner restitution and called it a day.

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
I'm original owner (purchased June '14). November 25, 2016, car in accident, insurance totaled it. To maintain possession, took a reduced insurance settlement, under PA rules, had to convert to a salvage certificate (no registration allowed).
Engine does start and vehicle can (sort of) be driven. Also, to convert to a rebuilt title, vehicle would have to pass a 'new vehicle' inspection, so no value to be gained there. (again, PA rules)
It appears I'm hosed. Should have taken the full insurance settlement plus original owner restitution and called it a day.
What method of communication did they use to relay that to you? Did they define, or suggest, what they would accept for 'proof of operability?'

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
What method of communication did they use to relay that to you? Did they define, or suggest, what they would accept for 'proof of operability?'
Email (full text):

Based on an initial review of your claim, we have determined that we need additional information for Volkswagen to process your claim. Please submit the following document by mailing or faxing it to the address or number listed below.
Document Name: Proof of Vehicle Operability
Please click here to visit the Online Claims Portal where you can upload the document. If you do not want to submit online, you can choose to submit the document by mail or fax.

I'm going to try to call the claims line. I don't expect to get anything useful.