'01,sitting won't start - mice chewed wiring on fuel pump

Deep Fried

TDI
Golf 2001 TDI
So my 01 was sitting for quite a while and won't start I tried bleeding priming Etc. Opened up the cover on the fuel pump over the tank in the back seat. Looks like a mouse set up shop. Got to looking at the wires and one is showing bare wires. So good chance I blew a fuse - but did I blow a fuse or relay? and I can't find either one - have no clue where they are. anybody know where the fuse for a fuel pump would be or if it's the relay which one it is and where it's located? That would be very helpful to troubleshoot this issue.

Cheers

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Wrong sub-forum, but I don’t believe the ALHs has a lift pump. Likely not your issue.

-Todd

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Yes, for an ALH in the USofA, there would only be a fuel level sender in the tank. Still, mice (or other rodents - I've seen a rabbit pop out of the hood of a Jetta I was looking at once) can be chewing on other wires in addition to the ones you can see right now.

I can't help but wish that there would be a way to infuse cyanide into the insulation of the wires so that wire chewing rodents would get their just reward. Animal lovers in general and the state of Kalifornia in particular would probably poop bricks over it though. But one can hope for some sort of just resolution.

Cheers,

PH

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Fix those wires to the fuel sender, if the conductors are in good shape, you may be able to simply re-insulate. But that's not the no start issue. Open up some other stuff in the engine compartment, air box, big pipes, to see if there is more critter tomfoolery.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I wonder if he's referring the injector pump as the fuel pump.
Technically it also is a fuel pump.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
So my 01 was sitting for quite a while and won't start I tried bleeding priming Etc. Opened up the cover on the fuel pump over the tank in the back seat. Looks like a mouse set up shop. Got to looking at the wires and one is showing bare wires. So good chance I blew a fuse - but did I blow a fuse or relay? and I can't find either one - have no clue where they are. anybody know where the fuse for a fuel pump would be or if it's the relay which one it is and where it's located? That would be very helpful to troubleshoot this issue.

Cheers
I wonder if he's referring the injector pump as the fuel pump.
Technically it also is a fuel pump.

Sounds like your Injection Pump may have lost prime while sitting. Thus, you need to start over by making sure all the air is out of the system from the filter to and through the IP and the hard injector pipes over to the injectors.

There is no OE electric lift pump in the 01 Jetta.

So, while you are back there, repair the fuel level wires. Those circuits are not tied to any relays or are they fused! I've been down this road when I installed the 02 ALH in my 84 Vanagon. I did install the Jetta Cluster in my Vanagon. Thus, I was deeply involved with these circuits.

For what it is worth, there are several "sensors" that all tie together at Splice 269 (hidden in the wiring harness) that are grounded in the Cluster by a single wire from Splice 269. Example: Coolant level, fuel level, windshield washer level, brake fluid level, etc. So, one of those wires there at the fuel level sensor is a ground that goes thru Splice 269 and on to the Cluster .......... none of this has anything to do with your engine not starting.