A TDI Warrior Has Passed Away!

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
It is with great sadness that I inform the membership of TDIClub that one of the original members has passed on. Lance Allision passed away on Sunday, Oct 20th, 2019 due to complications from his long, long battle with Chronic Myeloid Leukemia or CML. He was 45.

Lance Allison joined TDIClub before the 1st generation forum went live in 1999. He was an early adapter of TDI advocacy with his 1998 Jetta. Although we lived 1 mile from each other, we never met until we noticed where we lived by our posts on TDIClub. He and I attended the first TDI fest in 2000. I watched him get his car chipped there by Rene Berube of Upsolute Chips. By our common interest in TDIs, we became fast friends. We often had Friday gin and pizza parties at my house with another local TDIer, Donny (DZCad90). Conversation was cars, watches, computers, and all things technical. He became part of my family and we were part of the TDIClub family. We could always depend on each other when it came to any kind of help for our cars. Lance's day-job in IT proved invaluable when my PC would act up.

We both bought MB diesels and helped each other work on them, along with our VW TDIs, either at his house or mine. Glenn (MoGolf) stopped by a few times and did timing belts for us. After watching Glenn I helped Lance change his timing belts on his Jetta. After Lance's trusty old Jetta was totaled (at 488k miles) he still hung around TDIClub and we always remained close friends.

I found some old photos. Lance changing oil on his Jetta at my place.

Lance changing either engine oil or transmission fluid in his MB 300SDL. That's me standing by, fetching tools and doing gofer duty for Lance. He loved that car and put almost as many miles on it as he did his Jetta.

Lance's Jetta after hitting a deer. Hard to believe but the car was NOT totaled and was fixed. Lance drove it for another 400k miles after that accident.

Lance's hoard of oils and additives. When Lance saw a sale he would stock up! Obviously! Call him up and ask, 'Hey Lance, have any oil you can spare?' His reply was, 'Yeah, how may cases do you want?' Yeah the garage was a mess. It was cleaned up soon after that. Enough so that two cars could park in it with lots of room to spare.

On Oct 4, 2019 I was at a car wash waiting for my car to get done. In walks Lance getting his MB S550 4motion washed! I hadn't seen him in quite a while. I knew his medical issues were slowly wearing him down so I gave him a lot of space and didn't bother him. I was actually shocked to see him out and about. When I did see him he was always in good spirits. I could see he was in a lot of pain at times, but he kept his spirits up. I believe this is the last photo taken of Lance. I am very, very proud I am in it.

There are photos of Lance at the 2000 TDIFest but I don't know where they are anymore. If anyone has photos from the 2000 fest, please search them and post any photos of Lance in this thread.

Lance, thank you for your time, friendship, and TDI advocacy. Requiesce In pace.

Drive more and worry less. Life is too short.

Last edited:

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
My condolences.. even though I don't know him, he seems to be a nice fellow with good heart. RIP.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
RIP to a good dude. Not sure I ever met him, but I know BK well enough to be a good judge of character!

Sorry for your loss of a good friend, BK.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
My condolences to his family and to you, Brian. What an incredible spirit - thanks for helping remember him here.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
He sounds like a great guy. Far too young, sad.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
At least his memory here will live on. So sad to hear this and at such a young age. My sympathy and condolences for anyone who knew him. I will have a 5 minute of silence and a shot of gin tonight in his memory even though I never met him.
*Salute*

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
I also remember Wilmington and Lance getting chipped with Valois. That was a long time ago. With a very sad heart I send the deepest condolences to the family and to you also Brian. 20+ years of TDIs and friendship and memories warms the heart.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Oh my, there's a name not forgotten! Rest in peace, Lance. Sincerely condolences for the family's loss and yours too, Brian.

Last edited:

wyopel

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V-270k, 1998 Jetta-140k
Good friends are hard to come by. Sorry for your loss.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I am sure I probably met Lance but don’t really remember him......But there were many strong friendships formed during that amazing 1st GTG in Wilmington NC sorry to hear very sad.......

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
So sad, my condolences! He's was taken far too young, heaven must have needed him.

dmule3

TDI
2015 Passat, 2 BRM's, 1 ALH
RIP Lance
Life is finite and goes way too fast
Impossible to remember and implement, but we need to "live like you are dying" - great song

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
WOW! I landed on page 2 first. As soon as I saw the name "LANCE," I feared it was him. I don't think we never met (perhaps a TDI Fest?), but we shared lots of ideas via e-mail and the forums. RIP, Lance.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Lance owned a lot of cool cars over the years. This was by far the best of the best. His all time favorite was this 2008 MB S550 4-Motion. He sent me this photo back in June of 2018 when he bought it. It's WAY too much car for his family and I offered to help them sell it. I'll be posting it for sale on TDIClub after I get a chance to see the CarFax reports and service records.

:)