Buying my first new car, and its a 2015 SEL

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
1992 Jetta Ecodiesel, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL
Hello all!

I just put a deposit down on a 2015 TDI SEL. This will be my first car that is newer than 23 years old.

My current daily is a 92' Jetta ecodiesel and she's on her way out, or at least I don't have the time available to work that I used to.

I'm very excited but know nothing about new jettas. I have been seeing great reviews, I ordered mine fully loaded with the 6sp transmission.

It will be nice to finally drive places without being stressed ill break down.

As soon as the Jetta is delivered I will add pictures but if there is anything I should educate myself on or get excited about, let me know.

I'm here to absorb as much knowledge as possible and there isn't much on the 2015's.

scottydog

TDI
2015 Passat SE DSG
I own a 15 SE SUNROOF/NAV. Pretty sweet ride, great road car. I'm sure you will be pleased. Diesels can be pretty reliable, but keep up with ALL recommended maintanence.

Welcome to TDICLUB.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
So I put a deposit down so the dealership could deserve the car I wanted at another dealership.

I have yet to begin to haggle prices with the dealer, does anyone have any suggestions or tactics I can use to lower the price. As of right now the fully loaded tdi sel with the lighting package and all fees and whatnot is around 30k. I'm guessing I should be able to get that lower.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I used trurcar.com...
Was a HUGE discount cause VW is having issues selling enough cars right now...
The $$ for my SE was BELOW the bottom of the curve on the selling prices for jetta tdi's....

I simply found a dealer with my car instock...
Got the true car $$, said I want that car, negotiated my trade in...was done...but let the "suggest a SE"...
Was fast, and painless....
Dealers were advertising 2015 tdi's here in NH for $19,700 in the s trim, DSG.....true car got it for 19,200 for the s...then let the dealer "persuade" me to the SE in the color and trim I wanted, for about the same % discount, we split the "trurcar" fee normally paid by the dealer so the actual % was slighter higher discount, I left happy.

Last edited:

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
So I put a deposit down so the dealership could deserve the car I wanted at another dealership.
I have yet to begin to haggle prices with the dealer, does anyone have any suggestions or tactics I can use to lower the price. As of right now the fully loaded tdi sel with the lighting package and all fees and whatnot is around 30k. I'm guessing I should be able to get that lower.
If the dealer I'd swapping cars to get you one you want, they are spending a few $$ to move cars...and you told them you WANT THAT EXACT CAR...not a strong place to negotiate from.
Like I said above...I got a SE for $22,300..heck might have been $21700....we played with the trade in number a bit, but think that was the final with a "honest" amount IMO on my trade....I only cared about the total number, but they like to split up transactions to have 2 chances to win at negotiations...
Going to $30,000k for a loaded car is a huge hit IMO...price it out online....
TDI cars are selling at a huge discount due to low gas prices....
Think 30,000k is about $5000 high....
You might want to consider a car buying service.... Full retail is a dream to a VW dealer...

Last edited:

GCoop

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL w/ LDAP

FWIW...

Just took delivery on Friday of a '15 Jetta TDI SEL w/ Lighting and Drivers assistance. MSRP $30,750 Final purchase price $26,383. That price ended up being around 3k under invoice. I used my corporate auto buying service (Pretty much just a rebranded TrueCar service I believe).

Dealer had to source the car from another dealer over 250 miles away and once they took possession they had 5 inquiries in one day from other dealers wanting to trade for it. Fully loaded Jettas are a rare item it seems

I feel really good with that price considering. Also remember that this is the beginning of the time of year when dealers are trying to move the tail end of this year's productions so that they are in a good position to receive next year's model in a few months.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Quirkvwnh.com
Is advertising tdi s sticks for $18,895, a $3565 discount off the list of $22,460...
This is with 72 MONTH 0% FINANCING....
If you are a cash buyer, or wish to use different financing than VW, you can get an extra $500 off...
Says 0% interest ends 7-31
Know it is not the car you want, but to put msrp is perspective....

Other VW "deals", the golf tdi is not shown..was last week...
But to compare...
Jetta s stick, $3250 discount, $14,395
Golf 2 door $2000 discount, $19485
Passat s $3000 discount, $ 19,160
Cc sport $6000 discount, $28,885
Tiguan SE $4200 discount, $29,900

These are the PUBLISHED prices...so starting points..sales person even said 4 months ago, typical additional discount with negotiations is " high single hundreds range"....
So maybe $700-800 extra discount if you are good....
So IMO, don't even think I'd using the msrp as a starting point...
So by my guess...
You should start thinking a good discount is closer to $3565 typical, the extra $500 if a cash buyer, and the $800 of a typical off dealer sticker discount....so ABOUT $4200-4500 UNDER STICKER.....

Last edited:

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
The car has been bought!. I paid about 27200 for the car. Got the extended warranty because I tend to have bad luck and 30 dollars more a month now is doable, 3k in one month down the road wouldn't be fun.

Many of you may say that's not a good deal but I'm happy. I got everything that the dealer could throw in minus a tint...totally forgot to ask. Fully loaded black 2015 tdi sel. Apparently it was the last in the area, coming to Vt from Rhode island. Can't wait to drive a new standard car. All my manual experience is older than 1992.

Last edited:

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Price seems OK...the other sel on this thread was $26,400, so an extra $1000 to move a car 3 states is about right.
Congrats!! Important thing is YOU are happy!!

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
I'm trying to trade my 6MT back for a DSG - could never get comfortable with seat position relative to the clutch and dead pedal. Have sciatica in left leg now - can't be a coincidence. Hoping not to get killed $wise in the swap.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
I almost wanna say explain the situation and they'll hook you up. Either way if its new they wont beat you down too bad if they know the service history. At the same time you may not want to tell them because they will,know you don't have much choice besides buying it; basically what I accidentally did, just a different situation.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
I'm waiting for their # on my car - they know they can get good $ reselling it due to manuals being rare - hoping for the best

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
Car was delivered today! Really happy with it, as amazing as expected. I never test drove one. The closest thing I've even been in to this car is a 2012 Passat tdi but that had an auto. Driving a standard this new is a trip. Sometimes its easier but most of the time for me its hard to get a feel for the clutch with such a quiet motor and very little pedal feel.

I love it though, having a new car is amazing. I have an 85 cj7 also so I have the best of both worlds still. Its just nice to go out and drive and I still get the fun of a manual transmission.

If anyone wants interior pics for any reason, lmk ill take them. Having trouble posting a picture of the car.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
The tdi has 1200 miles right now so I'm still breaking it in, high rpm driving on the highway and fun full throttle launches at lights.

My question is if there is a downside to using a fuel additive during break in? I know there is constant discussion over whether it makes a difference or not. I'm just wondering if there is anything in it that could harm a fresh motor?

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
The tdi has 1200 miles right now so I'm still breaking it in, high rpm driving on the highway and fun full throttle launches at lights.
My question is if there is a downside to using a fuel additive during break in? I know there is constant discussion over whether it makes a difference or not. I'm just wondering if there is anything in it that could harm a fresh motor?
Never heard any drawbacks...
Most additives have a bit of centane boost, making the motor even MORE quiet (depends on the quality of the fuel you start with), and lube to help lengthen the life of the injectors/HPFP. Heck...they say they improve combustion, so less soot getting to the DPF, so if used as directed, should be all gains.
I "eyeball" the PS GRAY bottle (summer)...as for mixing, figuring if I get somewhere between a normal and a double dose as the bottle says, I'm OK.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I figured id be okay. And I've always eyeballed it, unless your dumping crazy amounts in a little extra wont make a difference. Plus you'll tend to compound more and more in old gas that doesn't get burnt between fillups. When its winter additive I always purposefully added extra....i had gelling happen once. Never again.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
Update from earlier post in thread:

If anyone wants a '15 TDI SEL 6MT w/DALP, black/tan, spoiler, only 1,600 miles - they can find one at Minuteman VW in Bedford, MA. I just traded it in for same Jetta except DSG, white/black. My sciatica thanks me. My wallet does not....

Last edited: