To Sell Or Not To Sell

BigBadThor

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Tornado Red Jetta Wagon GLS (sold); 2014 GSW Wolfsburg Edition CPO TDI
Would like to solicit some advice from the good people on here. I want to know what the current market is for a 5spd ALH wagon (see my signature for a description). This is a head vs. heart issue. I love the hell out of this car but I'm starting to wonder if I should sell it while it's still running great and looking fairly good...in other words, while it still has value. The KMs are high (467K) but it's been my baby since I imported it 6 years ago and have taken great care of it.
My issue is that we live in a condo and only have space for one car (else I would keep it), and I have neither the time, facilities, or talent to wrench it myself. Because of the high mileage I've had to put a lot of money into it lately (a used transmission was the latest big expense) and I did it without blinking because I had always planned to put at least 500K on it, if not 6 or 7 hundred. But my circumstances are such that I MUST have a dead reliable car. I am a professional drummer and cannot afford to have a breakdown (another reason I have been so fastidious about maintenance), because it's not just me that has to make the gig, it's my gear as well.
To replace it, I'm considering is doing a lease takeover. I've done it a couple of times before and it's worked out well. I drive about 32,000 KMs a year, so I would find something with lots of kilometres and warranty left, and then give it back at the end of the lease and do it all again. Predictable expenses, and I'm always driving a reliable (but boring) car.
So what would you guys do? Keep it going for the love of it and hope it doesn't leave me stranded for a few years? Or could there be someone who would love it as I do and give me a good price for it now?
Also...it would need a new passenger side mirror and an airbag module to pass safety.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Has the car stranded you? I have 345K miles on my '02 Wagon and it's only quit on me once in 15 years. If I'd known more at the time it wouldn't have needed a tow. I don't think I'd expect any better performance from a new car. This is probably more a matter of what you're comfortable with than anything else. A newer car might give you more peace of mind, even if factually it's not any more reliable.

Of course I'd vote you keep it, as I've kept mine. I have a great guru available to me and also have other vehicles, so the choice is a bit easier. However, if I were to keep just one of the cars I currently own the Wagon would be it, even though it has the most miles on it.

BigBadThor

Veteran Member
TDI
Has the car stranded you? I have 345K miles on my '02 Wagon and it's only quit on me once in 15 years. If I'd known more at the time it wouldn't have needed a tow. I don't think I'd expect any better performance from a new car. This is probably more a matter of what you're comfortable with than anything else. A newer car might give you more peace of mind, even if factually it's not any more reliable.
Of course I'd vote you keep it, as I've kept mine. I have a great guru available to me and also have other vehicles, so the choice is a bit easier. However, if I were to keep just one of the cars I currently own the Wagon would be it, even though it has the most miles on it.
Thanks for responding. You're one of the first people I think of in terms of loyalty to their wagon. It's never let me down (at least where it was a mechanical fault of the car; it was human error) and if it ever did I do have CAA Plus, so my drums and I could get towed to the gig. But then I'm left scrambling. It's tough...I've spent years and lots of money setting it up just the way I like it...would be a sad day to watch it drive away...just wondering if that's the best long term plan.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Most likely its value how is as high as it's going to be for a long, long time. We've seen a renewed interest in MKIV cars post-dieselgate, as TDI fans who've turned in their CR cars are returning to ALHs and BEWs. Prices were falling until recently, and now good MKIVs are hard to find and people will pay for a car like yours. You'll have to make that choice. Sometimes it feels more logical to move on than keep what you have. I've been fortunate since I've bought replacements for IBW before selling it, and then have ended up selling the replacements.

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
It's the devil you know... don't turn your back on it just because of what the clock says. The maint is up to speed, just keep enjoying it. You're in TO so you have some TDI Gurus around you, just pay them a visit once every 6 mnths to have it checked over and continue raking up the kms! In the long run, it will save you money.

I saw a manual silver TDI wagon not too long ago, running and driving with long beach rims for a $1000. I had just bought a golf, and I was STILL tempted to buy the wagon too.

As for price, you have to ask the price that makes sense for you. I was thinking of selling my daily driver a few years back, perfectly running driving 2001 civic with no rust for $1000. High mileage though. One guy looked at it, whined about how it might need a clutch, I turned down his offer. Two years and 40K later, I'm still driving that car with the same clutch. So if I had sold it ('given it away') for less than asking price, I'd be a damn fool. You know best what your car is worth, no one else! I've been contemplating selling the car I'm building now (mostly cuz I lack employment), but I don't think I'll be even considering anything less than around $4000 given all the work in this car and how good it looks.

TQOOOO

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI DSG & 2008 E320 Bluetec
as TDI fans who've turned in their CR cars are returning to ALHs and BEWs.
Why would FANS return their CRs? Most TDI fans don't care about emissions.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
What money and what offering? The buybacks hasn't started north of Trumpland.
I'm in the US and was commenting on what we're seeing here. It's driving prices of older TDIs up, I suspect, in Canada as well, since some people do bring them across the border.

And it sounds like Canadians will ultimately get a buyback, even if it's not as lucrative as the US version. That will probably affect interest in older TDIs.

BigBadThor

Veteran Member
TDI
And it sounds like Canadians will ultimately get a buyback, even if it's not as lucrative as the US version. That will probably affect interest in older TDIs.
I've heard it will be quite comparable to what Americans have received. This may be the best reason to hang on to mine...maybe even do a little bodywork to it.

BigBadThor

Veteran Member
TDI
Going to rent a car? :(
Yeah. ?
Right now I need to have a car I don't care about. I need to have predictable expenses. And my girl needs to get her license.

But I'll surely miss her. Hopefully one day I'm back driving a manual diesel something again.

Jlaasf

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
I saw your ad in the FS thread, but didn't comment.

I just sold my '03 wagon, 5 speed with 350,000 kms, stage 1. TB was done at 287K, very well kept - lots of maintenance done. Summers and winter wheels. Clean car, although not quite as clean as yours.

It took me nearly 2 1/2 months of price drops, re-listing and selling my 17" Santa Monicas separately. All in, including the 17's, I got $4000 (3700 for the car with 15" Avus wheels and snows).

The market for a 14 year old VW wagon isn't what is was a couple years ago. I spent months looking for a 5 speed ALH wagon and paid a good price when it was found. Now, I had a hard time just to get somebody to come and look at it.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I hate to admit, but I think dieselgate has actually had an effect on our resale value across the board. I paid $1500 for my wife's 01 TDI 3 years ago and the guy's phone was ringing off the hook when I was there. I couldn't give it away for $1000 with a good working 01M. All I received was $500 offers. The engine will end up in a Ranger 4x4 now.

Jlaasf

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
I hate to admit, but I think dieselgate has actually had an effect on our resale value across the board. I paid $1500 for my wife's 01 TDI 3 years ago and the guy's phone was ringing off the hook when I was there. I couldn't give it away for $1000 with a good working 01M. All I received was $500 offers. The engine will end up in a Ranger 4x4 now.
Agree that dieselgate has been a black eye, but an ALH is now 14-18 years old. As much as many love the ALH and a TDI, a car approaching 20 years old isn't desirable for most searching for a car.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I saw the fs ad aswell and I understand goodies and extras added on top make the car that much more special, but no way would I spend that kind of money on a car that old with that many km... I sold my 03 golf last year with 325km for 2500 on winters... I had bought monte carlo's for summer to put on but that didn't happen, so I sold those for a little over what I bought them which ended up with me getting 3000 for the car... The money I got was good for a 325km 13 year old car, but I also did spend a ton on it for goodies which well made the car worth a whole lot more then 3000 to me...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Maybe you're having a different experience in Canada. Here in the US ALHs are very hard to come by, and people are spending lots of money on them to bring them back to good running condition. I spoke to two customers yesterday who had returned CR cars and replaced them with ALHs. Our sales of ALH timing belt kits are up 50% in the past year after years of flat sales. And there are very, very few ALHs available for sale on CL.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Maybe you're having a different experience in Canada. Here in the US ALHs are very hard to come by, and people are spending lots of money on them to bring them back to good running condition. I spoke to two customers yesterday who had returned CR cars and replaced them with ALHs. Our sales of ALH timing belt kits are up 50% in the past year after years of flat sales. And there are very, very few ALHs available for sale on CL.
I agree with the above statement. Canada is just a little further behind in the resolution. Once cars are being turned in, I believe the demand for high quality pre-scandal TDIs is going to increase. As with anything, increased demand and limited supply should drive prices up.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I concur with the previous two: I was mocked and ridiculed for my CL post locally (Vancouver Island)...but sold it for asking price to an American who flew in pick it up and drive it home.

2003 wagon, nicely modded (VNT 17, 6sp, Malone 4, etc.).

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
probably but don't forget the market is still very small and I doubt the average person is going to want a diesel after the VW and now fiat/Chrysler scandal. Old car is an old car and just because it runs on diesel it doesn't merit ridiculous prices... now if we're talking about something old/vintage or something like an E39 M5 with lowish km, then i'll start considering, but at that point I'm not buying those cars to use them as daily drivers... that's my two cents

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2014 Reflex Silver
I concur with the previous two: I was mocked and ridiculed for my CL post locally (Vancouver Island)...but sold it for asking price to an American who flew in pick it up and drive it home.
There's a big difference between a 15 year old west coast car and one that has spent its life in Ontario/Quebec ;)

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
The market is very small for old cars even if they are diesel but if you have a good one, you can sell it at a reasonable price.

BigBadThor

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting discussion. Maybe it was because it was Tornado Red, but I got plenty of interest in it and watched it drive away yesterday with $4200 cash in hand.

Now....who wants my Monte Carlos?

Jlaasf

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Interesting discussion. Maybe it was because it was Tornado Red, but I got plenty of interest in it and watched it drive away yesterday with $4200 cash in hand.

Now....who wants my Monte Carlos?
Wasn't your initial price close to 6 or $7000 though? I think $4200 is more than reasonable. There were 2 other wagons comparable to mine for sale on kijiji when I was listed, both near the 6K mark. Sat for a long time.

BigBadThor

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes $5500 turned out to be more than the market would bear but you gotta push it at first to see what the high end is. I only had one guy see the car at that asking price, but when I dropped it to $4500 it was game on. I'm happy with what I got for it, and I think the new owner is happy too. He has already told me he's going to take it to the next level (Stage 4, lowering...) Win-win.