Key in Lock Operates Windows

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
In the"Learn Something Every Day" department, my guru demonstrated the above.
Use the key in the driver side door lock, and you can open,
or shut, all the windows. Who knew??!!

I couldn't believe it till I tried it on my car. {:eek:)

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
My sunroof doesn’t close with that method. I’ve used it several times and only once was the sunroof open and would not close. I wonder if I have a wiring issue, my sunroof does get flakey about closing every now and then.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
You can also have the car program so that the key fob roll up windows/moonroof while your in the house. Most these features have been around since the early 90s.

Bajan

djrhetoric

Veteran Member
TDI
80 Rabbit pickup MTDI
My sunroof doesn’t close with that method. I’ve used it several times and only once was the sunroof open and would not close. I wonder if I have a wiring issue, my sunroof does get flakey about closing every now and then.
Functionally, it should close. Mine also gets flaky with closing when I'm driving, but I've never seen it happen when the key is in the door.

I added the ability to use just the key fob to open/close windows on my wagon. Kind of nice to have the windows roll down as I'm walking up to the car on a super hot day.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Tested my sunroof, with it "tilted" and a window open, the key in the lock closed both. Mirabile dictu!
And to think how many times I've stuck the key back in the ignition
to close an errant window.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Most impressive accessory on the car imho.
My light bulb moment was when I found the slots on the fuel cap fit on the door.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
VW has had this feature for a long time. My '97 Passat does it. And my '96 Audi did, too. Of course lots of us no longer turn the key in the lock so we don't discover it right away. And my '02 Wagon doesn't do it because it has crank windows and no sunroof. :D

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
My light bulb moment was when I found the slots on the fuel cap fit on the door.
Huh? Can someone explain this? Be gentle,,,,, I've got 6" of venetian blind cord on my fuel cap so I can't lose it.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd

The fuel cap on the fuel door actually was featured in my 16v Scirocco brochure, I remember when I bought that car new I thought it was the coolest thing since fuel caps didn't have the plastic string attached.

Bajan

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Huh? Can someone explain this? Be gentle,,,,, I've got 6" of venetian blind cord on my fuel cap so I can't lose it.
My cap on the 99.5 Jetta (retired) has 2 slots in it, slips right over the fuel door. For 10 years I sat it on the rear window/trunk area.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Update, better key words, helped

(initial post) Oddly enough I couldn't find an exact image on google??

I did find something similar, see how this cap is store on the door in the image below (assuming image works :) )
Your cap should have multiple little notches/grooves that allow you to rest your cap similar to the image below, but parallel to the ground, not perpendicular. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
MK-4 era VW tv commercials were the best ever!! I remember a few with only music, piece of furniture being moved and no dialog until the very end. (that was commentator selling VW)

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
I went and fiddled with the fuel filler cap after thinking about my last post, huzzah! Sits there quite securely. IIRC I had to drill a small hole for the piece of cord in my cap, failsafe. Thanks for the pics RexNICO, who'd a thought.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
And in NJ, you're going to have to show the gas station attendant how to store the cap, since he's either going to let the cap hang against the side of the car, or put it on top of the pump, since he's not going to let you pump your own fuel. :p

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
El Dobro-you poor bastard. I'd NEVER live in a state where they don't trust their own citizens to pump their own gas :eek:.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
El Dobro-you poor bastard. I'd NEVER live in a state where they don't trust their own citizens to pump their own gas :eek:.
WHEW! That's one more we don't have to worry about moving here. But feel free to visit.:p

Don't worry, I'm just yankin' your crank. Anyone is welcome here. Even Californians.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
WHEW! That's one more we don't have to worry about moving here. But feel free to visit.:p
Don't worry, I'm just yankin' your crank. Anyone is welcome here. Even Californians.
Didn't they just change the law in Oregon?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
On New Jersey, I found a station across from the NY state line that has
"self serve" diesel. Just off I-84 near Port Jervis, where NY, NJ, & PA
intersect. The NJ price saves a good $.40 gallon over the other two.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
In Europe that's how thieves conveniently break into your car without any (much) evidence. Apparently a key is not needed for this feature to work ;) !