Accidental traction control mk4

norel

TDI
2004 alh wagon, 91 golf 1z, 05 golf, 05 passat, 06 jetta
After swapping the drivetrain/wiring from my daily (03 alh 5 speed) ,to an 04 1.8t auto car, I suddenly have some form of traction control. I'm guessing this is because I used the abs controller from the 04 car. Obviously the 03 harness had wiring in place to make the traction control light come on. (I completely swapped body/engine harness) Will it have wiring in place to add switch to turn it off? Would the 04 have had a switch for this purpose? Where would it be in the car? Traction control works, I just dont like it. Hoping I dont need to swap brake controllers to disable it while keeping abs. Thanks.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
On the dash I believe, the switch that you're not used to next to the hazard button.
I have the same thing on mine after my swap into a 1.8t, however, I don't think mine works. Just antilock and that light comes on, however, my transmission doesn't have it so...

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

norel

TDI
I guess I'll pull out what's left of the wire harness from the 1.8t car and look for the switch and wiring, and dig out the Bentley. Whatever it is, ASR or ESP, it seems like it cuts throttle during high rpm wheelspin. It also seems to work through all gears at any speed, it's been slippery enough to spin new hakkas in fifth around here lately...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
ASR (anti-slip-regulation) is traction control, ESP (electronic-stability-program) is a more complex system to keep the car under control and isn't JUST traction control. ESP requires a steering angle sensor and has an extra solenoid or sensor on the ABS assembly.

I do not recall which years and which models had what as standard or optional, but in either case there would be a button on the dash to turn it off.

norel

TDI
Yeah, I dont think it could be esp, I didn't use enough of the original car to include a yaw sensor. I'm guessing that my abs system from auto car had edl/asr, and that's what I'm dealing with. It looks like I have to incorporate a switch or swap out the abs pump. From what I've read it doesn't look like I can recode with vcds. I guess the car doesn't really need to drive to "burnout city" anyway.

norel

TDI
Found an asr button. Separated out wires from loom. Two tone blue wire looks like illumination for buttons , joins several others in dash, brown wire to ground junction in dash. Black wire joins several other black wires at back of fuse box, guessing abs fuse? Grey wire with thin black line goes to abs pump. I pinned it out and took a picture, just not sure how pins are numbered. I'll have to consult the Bentley, looks pretty straightforward, but its going to be pretty hard to add a pin with the transmission still in the car. Pretty tight in there.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think most people would envy your newfound feature leftover from the 1.8t car. And with the button installed, you can turn it off if you want to.

ASR works pretty good.