View Single Post
Old February 11th, 2019, 10:40   #44
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Corpus View Post
You’re correct on this. However, is the rod diameter that critical? The ball joint of both have the same OD. The Bentlies just say to not install the TRW in the ZF racks. I have the new AC Delco parts, but they come with tie rod ends too, not just the inners. You need 1-1/4” adapters for TRW.
I would use a crows foot, but there is an issue. OE tie rods used an 8-point “lobe” so a hex/crow’s foot wouldn’t work [well]. The new ones were rounded square loves and a hex-anything won’t fit. The Harbor Freight tool handles both properly.
I think the reason the Bentley has gone this route is because it would take far too much explaining to the average person about what parts will work with what racks (in reality) so it's just easier to draw the line and say that there's no compatibility.

AFAIK it's really a one way compatiility issue and some folks might conclude without thinking that if it works one way it'll work going the other, and that's not a safe conclusion with this.

Yeah, now that you mention is I remember that some of these use hex fit and some use square. I guess the tool you would need depends on who made the product.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06601 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 15.92 Kb. compressed to 14.37 Kb. by saving 1.55 Kb. (9.74%)]