VW TDI Manual Gear Shift Problem

Rudolph Rajendra

TDI
New Beetle
Is there an irreversible problem that occurs with Volkswagen manual transmissions as they age? Or the hydraulic system?

The manual transmission has started to miss shift in the last few years after I had it in for a brake bleed at the Pickering VW Dealer. So far the ABS unit has been replaced twice, the brake master cylinder has failed dangerously, and no dealer has been able to solve the transmission problem. Is there a simple fix? Does this happen to all VW manual transmissions after a few years?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
What year is your beetle? The earlier ones had a different shifter than the later ones. The plastic guide had worn out on mine and replacing it made a major improvement. Here is the part for an early unit:http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2457
You can see the linkage from the engine compartment - look for slop when someone is wiggling the shifter from inside the car. Also - having the right (and good) trans fluid helps

They may have also not bled the brakes correctly (the clutch cylinder shares the brake fluid).

Rudolph Rajendra

TDI
New Beetle
It's a 2001 New Beatle. It's been pressure bled repeatedly by the dealer, and grinds occasionally going into second. After they bleed it, the problem disappears for a while, only to return a few months later.

Would the wearing of that part cause that problem, and be difficult for the dealer to diagnose?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
The 01 should have the newer design that is much better. Does the clutch release right at the floor? Interesting that it will go away after bleeding but return. That would make me think that one of the cylinders is leaking.

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Hey nice 04 jetta. I have the same one. I installed performance chip which gave me 40% more power . I also straight piped. I've been thinking about the VNT 17, how is fuel economy/ power/ sound?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Is there an irreversible problem that occurs with Volkswagen manual transmissions as they age? Or the hydraulic system?
The manual transmission has started to miss shift in the last few years after I had it in for a brake bleed at the Pickering VW Dealer. So far the ABS unit has been replaced twice, the brake master cylinder has failed dangerously, and no dealer has been able to solve the transmission problem. Is there a simple fix? Does this happen to all VW manual transmissions after a few years?
I have read the bearings in the shift tower can go bad. I have broken the shift lever and the shift actuator on mine. But please rule out any clutch/hydraulic issues