New (to me) Mk6 Golf!

StressedYeti

TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 2000 Jetta TDI, 1982 VW Pickup
Just picked up a 2012 Mk6 golf TDI (with DSG) with 50k miles today after driving a Mk4 Jetta TDI for over 10 years!
Now that I have it, what is some knowledge and/or advice I should know?
(also, should I chip it?)

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
You should consider selling it before emission issues and DSG issues drain you bank account. The 2009 through 2014 TDI cars should be avoided.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Very nice. I love the color. Lighting package too. Does it have service records? You’ll want to make sure that the DSG service was done.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Looks great! The common rail fuel systems are more finicky about fuel quality than your older tdi- I'd avoid high biodiesel blends. B2-B5 (2-5%)biodiesel blends are great, and beneficial due to enhanced lubrication.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
Good looking golf. I modify my cars...yes get a stage 2 tune for the engine and a tune for the DSG. It makes a huge difference better fuel economy.

StressedYeti

TDI
Good looking golf. I modify my cars...yes get a stage 2 tune for the engine and a tune for the DSG. It makes a huge difference better fuel economy.
They aren't something I can do myself, correct? How do I go about finding someone who can do it?

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
It has to be done through the ECU by a tuner. I have found www.cascadegerman.com to have good prices and excellent customer service.

They are a malone dealer who is one of the best with MKVI TDIs.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Great car! Congrats! Not sure what I could add that has not already been talked about on these forums quite a bit over the years. If it has had the "fix" done, you may elect to leave it be for now in case you need the generous warranty to fall back on. Your A4 car would also be a good thing to keep to fall back on too.

If you are not concerned with the warranty, it is up to you what you can or want to do, as well as any local laws that may make illegal modifications difficult or impossible to get away with.

Unfortunately the newer cleaner (yes, I said cleaner) cars are more fragile and have a lot more items that can go wrong. I would avoid driving the car hard during the warmup period, learn about DPF regen cycles and at least try to give the car every opportunity to run them. Avoid short trips if possible. The battery will have a shorter life than your previous car, partly because it is smaller yet has even more electronic loads to deal with, and partly because the underhood temps on the CR cars can get much, much higher. So be proactive about the battery. It hopefully has already been replaced at least once. If you live in an area that has rapid temp changes that drop just below freezing you may also want to read about the intercooler icing issue and proactively install a cold weather intercooler kit. Nobody wants bent rods.

StressedYeti

TDI
Great car! Congrats! Not sure what I could add that has not already been talked about on these forums quite a bit over the years. If it has had the "fix" done, you may elect to leave it be for now in case you need the generous warranty to fall back on. Your A4 car would also be a good thing to keep to fall back on too.
If you are not concerned with the warranty, it is up to you what you can or want to do, as well as any local laws that may make illegal modifications difficult or impossible to get away with.
Unfortunately the newer cleaner (yes, I said cleaner) cars are more fragile and have a lot more items that can go wrong. I would avoid driving the car hard during the warmup period, learn about DPF regen cycles and at least try to give the car every opportunity to run them. Avoid short trips if possible. The battery will have a shorter life than your previous car, partly because it is smaller yet has even more electronic loads to deal with, and partly because the underhood temps on the CR cars can get much, much higher. So be proactive about the battery. It hopefully has already been replaced at least once. If you live in an area that has rapid temp changes that drop just below freezing you may also want to read about the intercooler icing issue and proactively install a cold weather intercooler kit. Nobody wants bent rods.
That's good to know!
I'm in a state/area that is very lax on emissions. Was thinking of deleting the DPF and EGR, but all in good time...

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I really like your 5 spoke wheels!
Thanks! My 2010 came with Portos. They were only 7" wide and the offset was also pretty high at ET54. I wanted to use bigger tires, 235/45/17, to fill my fenders a bit more and to get a bit more comfortable ride. I also wanted the get a bit wider stance. The wheels I have now are 17" x 7.5" ET47. The 7.5" wheel is better for the wider tires and I ended up with about a 1" wider stance. I also like the classic 5-spoke look. They're Monte Carlo wheels from a B6 Passat.

Your stock wheels are nicer than my original wheels. I think your Salamanca wheels are 17" x 7.5" ET51. I think the Salamanca also looks nicer than the Porto, even though the basic idea and number of spokes is similar. I don't think I would have changed my wheels if my car came with the Salamanca wheels like your car.

Salamanca

Porto

Monte Carlo

Last edited: