TDI's in Illinois

Chuckler3

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5sp (Alaska Green) 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI BEW 5-sp
I haven't seen any TDi's since getting up to illinois. Lots of VW's, but of the ones i've seen none have had that identifying tick to it.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I haven't seen any TDi's since getting up to illinois. Lots of VW's, but of the ones i've seen none have had that identifying tick to it.
Have you been looking at the rear of the cars? All of the TDI's, except for the Beetles have a TDI badge on the back. Some of us Beetle owners, though, have put a TDI badge on our cars. Myself included. :D

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
AFAIK, no TDI Beetles were badged. If the owner wanted a TDI badge, they had to buy one and put it on, themselves.

Chuckler3

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5sp (Alaska Green) 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI BEW 5-sp
Have you been looking at the rear of the cars? All of the TDI's, except for the Beetles have a TDI badge on the back. Some of us Beetle owners, though, have put a TDI badge on our cars. Myself included. :D
I know pretty well to look for the little badge on the back. I haven't figured out any other identifying marks for these cars yet though. Most other cars on the road have slight little nuances that tell their difference from other optioned cars of the same model. I haven't been around these quite long enough yet.

I did my part in tucking my tdi sticker just below my third brake light on the rear window. the car is lowered slightly so you can still just see it from the height of your average sedan.

justintime_3

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 tdi Jetta, 2006 tdi jetta PKG 2
I will chime in here. Live in Bloomington and work in Peoria. Drive it everyday. Currently overseas though. Cant wait to get back to my baby. The tdi that is. 435000 miles third 01M original turbo and engine. Got the parts to do the 5 speed waiting for me at home.

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
Gee thanks

Went for breakfast in Bannockburn at Eggsperience. Space right in front next to a dark grey 11 JSW TDI with DSG. Said cool space looked big enough that should be no issue. Come out right after you pulled away to see two dings on my back door with your paint color left behind. Here's hoping you get rust on your door edge and someone gives you a big smacko on your door soon.

Time to give my ding insurance another call. $450 covers dings, tires, rims and key replacement for 5 years.

Last edited:

eyetdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI Sedan
'12 White Passat SELTDI south on McCormick turning west onto Golf.
Beautiful car being driven like a championship speed skater!!

Toby_B

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 audi tt alh swap, 2014 chevy cruze diesel that replaced 2012 jetta tdi, 2008 dodge cummins
Spotted: Friday, March 3 2011 around 6:55P in Joliet - Green MkIII Jetta TDI sporting a Fred's TDI Club frame leaving Thornton's in Joliet off of Jefferson and Infantry and turned into Inwood stadium shortly thereafter. I was in my dark blue '09 with TDIClub frame and passed you.

Nice car btw.. I'd love to have it!!
that car is for sale now, http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/2918972349.html

nois

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Chicagoland people often drive IL47 to/from Champaign-Urbana passing through Gibson City. Just today, I saw two Toureg TDIs and a MK5 Jetta TDI on my way to and from work. None had a TDICLUB plate cover.

I think there's at least three TDI owners who live here.

While we're on the topic, if you're in the mood for German cuisine, try the Bayern Stube here in town.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Blue A5 JSW in North Riverside

Volks:

Today at around 1:45PM I was at Super Tony's Finer Foods in North Riverside and as I was putting the groceries in the trunk I noticed a dark blue A5 Jetta Sport Wagon TDI parked a few stalls away from Graycie. It had Illinois plates that started with K85 and had an Autobarn VW plate frame. Car was clean and shiney too. Anybody here care to claim this as their ride?

Dan

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Spotted a white 5 door Golf MKIV TDi with club TDi sticker on the back window going north on Roselle towards N/W highway -RT14. Wanted to wave at you but I was on my BMW and you where not looking

kb9uwu

TDI
2012 JSW MT w/NAV
I picked up a reflex silver '12 JSW TDI 6MT yesterday with 18 miles on the odometer. :D I live near Decatur and frequently travel to Springfield, Champaign and Peoria.... keep on the lookout, central IL TDIers :)

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
kb9uwu:

Welcome to The Club! Take the time to break that TDI in right and you will have many happy miles. Hope to meet you at a future GTG.

Dan

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
Heading east today on Petersen right off the 94 exit saw what looked like a MK5 Jetta TDI, tornado red, with a JasonTDI Repair license plate frame. Anyone?

otb4evr

TDI
2012 Sportwagen DSG
Saw my twin (Black JSW) on the Stevenson (Rt. 55) going North just south of Kingery (Rt. 83) at ~1:50 this afternoon. I was noodling in the far right lane. I noticed the TDi badge as the car went past in the middle lane.

1.9 TDI Awd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI Golf 5spd
Blown turbo, normally driving around Northern illinois or headed to the house in the UP Michigan. back for summer. so im wondering if any one of you guys live in the Northern illinois area, more specifically Mchenry County Crystal Lake county or nearby. I have been wrenching non stop for turbo teardown. getting ready for the PD150 VNT17 from Rynap. Just wondering if anyone is availible or interested in helpin out on the reinstall. i would really appreciate any help. also looking for someone with VAGCOM to help check some perameters. if you have a link or different place that i can find some help that would be great too. Pm me if yah want. cant wait to get out there and site some of you guys too!! 2 weeks down is wayyy to long. thanks guys

przip

TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Peoria TDI

While my first post on this forum, it was reading Fred's site that got me serious about purchasing my black 2002 Golf TDI brand new back in December 2001. Last week I discovered that my front Midtown Imports license plate frame was broken, and what better to replace it with than an official TDIClub one.

If the link works as advertised, here's my Sebastian displaying his new TDIClub license plate frame in the parsonage (I'm a Lutheran pastor) drive. He's been based on the South Side of Peoria his whole life and can be seen tooling around the greater Peoria area with his happy owner, with regular rides to St. Louis, Chicago, and sometimes elsewhere across the Midwest and the continent.

Pax, Steven+

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Spotted a white mkv Jetta TDi with euro led tails and FL plates lowered getting on I88 west off I355 south this past week in the morning around 8am. I was in the green B4 Passat, i know ya got on it and was smoking a bit. Nice quick car :) Usually i mind my biz but i wanted to see how the ole beast stacks up against the new TDi.... Sorry bout the smoke :p

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
I live in northwest suburbs of Chicago. Commute to Kankakee - 355 to 80 to 57. 77 miles one way. You can't miss me, my plates are HBRD KLR

The Mail Guy

TDI
2011 Jetta DSG
Anyone living in the Chicago area I have been using Waze (smartphone app) for a few months now. Provides traffic, police, accident and road constructution info in a neat little package. I created a group TDI Traffic Bugs feel free to join.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Anyone living in the Chicago area I have been using Waze (smartphone app) for a few months now. Provides traffic, police, accident and road constructution info in a neat little package. I created a group TDI Traffic Bugs feel free to join.
I've been using waze for a few weeks now. Pretty cool app, I'll look for your group.

TDIL

TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG Tech Package
While we're on the topic, if you're in the mood for German cuisine, try the Bayern Stube here in town.
I brought a friend from Europe there in 1997. She was visiting me at college in Champaign. We both enjoyed it, maybe a little too much. We got some kind of combo platter and still think that may be the most meat I have ever eaten in one sitting.

coryj08

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Galesburg area

Anyone living or driving around the galesburg area on here? Saturday i saw at least 3 TDIs. 2 of them were in town in Galesburg while doing my shopping and eating lunch, one was the newest body style which was parked at the Mcdonalds I went to. Another one I saw was the A4 body style and it was pulling into Wal-mart when I was leaving (Looked like it was black). Last one I saw was on Rt. 41 when I was on the way back home. I think this is the most TDIs I have seen in one day!

DieselPhil

TDI
2001 vw jetta
I live in northwest suburbs of Chicago. Commute to Kankakee - 355 to 80 to 57. 77 miles one way. You can't miss me, my plates are HBRD KLR
Hey man.
I think I saw you once or twice driving around town.
Nice car you got. All you need now is a tune and a loud a** exhaust.:D

JoL

TDI
Mk3 Vento
Any one have a lead on a cheap low mile tdi? I drive a tornado red mkiii jetta and love the car but it now has 175k on it w/ rusted rockers..I have already welded in new strut mounts in the bay, stupid salt combined with seam sealer and splash gaurds. I'm looking for a new (used) tdi.

I'm near rt. 59 and rt. 56 I'm lowered on steelies, subtle m3 side skirts reversed, vr lip and smoked ecodes. Tornado red with a black grill that needs to be painted so I call her masked bandit :) anyone else in the wheaton/ warrenville area, west burbs?