Fuel Lift Pump in Tank

Kulha

TDI
98 Jetta
I have a 98 jetta tdi, and the pump in the fuel tank is on the fritz and I want to replace it. Are the pumps the same in gasoline and diesel fuel tanks for this model? Also, I am having a hard time pulling the part up on the internet and I can't really find a part number. Does anyone have any insight?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
There is no lift pump in your car. Part number does not exist for this reason.
What's the issue?
Are you losing prime? Air bubbles? What?

Kulha

TDI
98 Jetta
Every once in a while the car won't start. So I tap around the fuel tank and then it starts right up. There's no pump in the fuel tank?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Correct. Pull up the back seat and take off the cover for the tank access. Check for wetness. There are check valves that keep the fuel from draining back into the tank you can test them with some pressure from the other side of the line against flow at like 5 to 10 psi no more. They do go bad eventually after 20 years lol. When did you last change the fuel filter? Fuel filter connections. Can also be an issue and same with a leaking IP (injection pump)that's part of the engine. It's right there in front of the head staring you in the face.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
The TDI doesn't have an in-tank pump, if I remember correctly. It just has the injector pump on the engine, which has a built in lift pump. What's the problem you're having?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Kulha

TDI
98 Jetta
Correct. Pull up the back seat and take off the cover for the tank access. Check for wetness. There are check valves that keep the fuel from draining back into the tank you can test them with some pressure from the other side of the line against flow at like 5 to 10 psi no more. They do go bad eventually after 20 years lol. When did you last change the fuel filter? Fuel filter connections. Can also be an issue and same with a leaking IP (injection pump)that's part of the engine. It's right there in front of the head staring you in the face.

Ok those are great leads, thanks. I will follow through tomorrow. I bought it in August and just rolled over 300k and running great until... you know. Thanks again. Are there other things to look over for a 98 with 300k? Previous owner was good with servicing and keeping records. Timing belt was done before purchase. Thanks again

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
At the hoses going in to the tank under the rear seat acsess.
Or is it in the trunk? Been a while on that. I think it's actually in the trunk behind the passenger side rear seat?
Anyways. The timing belt is critical. Check the paperwork when it was done and by whom. Not just in miles ago but also years in age. It's only good for 80k or 5 years. Plenty of old brittle parts on there. Be careful with plastic items like the oil puck and breather tube.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Tank sender access is in the trunk, not the back seat. There's a panel that has your build decal on it and it's three phillips screws to take it off. The check valves are very close to and accessible via that panel. That also lets you pull the tank sender.

It's likely that the rubber hoses back there are finally starting to have integrity issues, time to replace them maybe. The check valves can go bad too but that's less likely. I have seen cars without them though...

Timing belt change interval is not 80k miles, it's 60k miles.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Where should I buy the sending unit?
Good question, I might try and see if anyone is parting a Mk3 in the FS section. There's also a tdiparts group on FB and some still sell a few parts via vortex too I think.

The part number for new is 1H0919183 if you need to look for a new one.

Steve