Hatch pop kit

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'd certainly be interested in something like this on my 2011 JSW.
I agree. I wonder if this works on a JSW - it appears to be for a Golf hatch (are they the same?). I have a 2009, so I would definitely want the MK5 version. Since most things haven't changed on the JSW, I wonder if the 2011 would use the MK5 kit or the MK6 kit. Perhaps it's time for a call to ECSTuning.

Have Fun!

Don

Rutch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I had one of the hatch-pop kits installed on my mkv R32, it was great. They're basically stronger struts that can lift the hatch from the fully closed position. Add in some VAG-COM coding and when you press the hatch release on the key fob, the hatch pops open.

I'd love to have one on my JSW, might have to take some measurements and see how the struts in the rear of the JSW compare to a Golf/GTI...

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Why do you need any VagCom tweaks? Press & hold the truck botton for a few secons and the trunk pops.....it just doesn't open.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
the vagcom tweaks let it fully open, hands free (other than pressing the button on the keyfob)

EDIT: it opens all the way like in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzrbrMJW0fc
I just tried an experiment. I pressed & held the hatch button. The hatch "popped" slightly. I pulled on the wiper arm, but needed to press the VW emblem to open the hatch since the safety catch caught it.

I closed the hatch and locked the car, then while pulling on the wiper I pressed & held the hatch button. As soon as it "popped" I was able to open it.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
JSW compatibility

I wonder if this works on a JSW - it appears to be for a Golf hatch (are they the same?). I have a 2009, so I would definitely want the MK5 version. Since most things haven't changed on the JSW, I wonder if the 2011 would use the MK5 kit or the MK6 kit. Perhaps it's time for a call to ECSTuning.

Have Fun!

Don
Well, I did some investigation and answered my own question. First I looked at ECSTuning's installation instructions and compared them to my car. The JSW (at least my '09) has different strut mounts and very different bump stops. Therefore, my assumption is that these kits will not work on a SportWagen. I also checked with VCDS and the option for auto opening does exist, so this modification is possible *IF* I can find compatible struts.

Have Fun!

Don

Asmerrill

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Blue Silk Golf TDI SEL
Awesome upgrade. I can't believe all the stuff they have for these awesome cars. This is going on the list for sure!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm still wondering if the struts are just Tiguan or Passat struts.
The MK5 ones say that they are from a Skoda Fabia, but the MK6 ones just say that they are "European Gas Hatch Struts". Your guess is as good as mine.

Have Fun!

Don

wutbürger

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 CW Golf 4dr 6mt
FYI:http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4637

I do not endorse this method nor do I have any idea on form/fit/function, but it seems that a simple "flip" of the struts achieves the same end (including a shorter hatch opening). Again, the ECS struts might be better designed to open fully and with more ease, but just wanted to throw this out there for anyone interested.

On a side note, I'd like to know if the ECS ones shorten the height of the opening when opened fully. Standing a 6'3, I am barely under the gate when lifted fully stock- but I would love auto opening ones as would the wife. Why give us the button on the keychain but not the functionality?

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
FYI:http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4637

I do not endorse this method nor do I have any idea on form/fit/function, but it seems that a simple "flip" of the struts achieves the same end (including a shorter hatch opening). Again, the ECS struts might be better designed to open fully and with more ease, but just wanted to throw this out there for anyone interested.

On a side note, I'd like to know if the ECS ones shorten the height of the opening when opened fully. Standing a 6'3, I am barely under the gate when lifted fully stock- but I would love auto opening ones as would the wife. Why give us the button on the keychain but not the functionality?
One of the threads on Vortex said you loose ~5" of opening height. I don't really spend that much time under the hatch, so I don't think it'll matter too much.

Edit: I just went out and flipped the strut brackets. The hatch now pops open and the loss of clearance is maybe 2". Save yourself $110 on this one!

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w183/mayordjq/?action=view&current=VIDEO0003.mp4

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Edit: I just went out and flipped the strut brackets. The hatch now pops open and the loss of clearance is maybe 2". Save yourself $110 on this one!
I wonder how/why this works. Don't get me wrong, I am not doubting your word. I am just curious how turning the strut around 180 degrees somehow increases the force it applies. Did you have to change the mounts at all or just reverse the strut? I am tempted to try this on my JSW, but I would like to now how/why it works first. I am confused (not a particularly rare occurrence). I also do not understand why it changes the clearance (why the strut seems to be shorter). If anyone has any explanation of why this works, please post it here. Thanks

Have Fun!

Don

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I was thinking the same thing -- turning the strut around should have no effect on opening, because the force will be exactly the same, no matter which way it's oriented. But I see there was a mis-statement above.

You turn the strut mount around 180 degrees. Not the strut itself. It appears that turning the strut mount just compresses the strut more, and you get more 'oomph' when it lets loose.

wutbürger

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 CW Golf 4dr 6mt
I was thinking the same thing -- turning the strut around should have no effect on opening, because the force will be exactly the same, no matter which way it's oriented. But I see there was a mis-statement above.

You turn the strut mount around 180 degrees. Not the strut itself. It appears that turning the strut mount just compresses the strut more, and you get more 'oomph' when it lets loose.
And I am going to assume that it is that extra initial compressed position that leads to the loss in full range when opened- again, have never tried nor am I an expert but if liftgate height isn't an issue, this might be an option for some. I have to wonder if the extra compression won't eventually affect the struts

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
AHA, that explains it. On my JSW the strut mounts are just bolts with a round ball on the end. There is no bracket that can be turned around. Therefore, this will not work on a Sportwagen. The only way to do this on a JSW would be a stronger strut. That's OK, I really don't need an automatically opening hatch.

On a MK6, turning the strut mount around is part of the installation instructions for the ECSTuning kit. I guess the "European Hatch Strut" they sell is just a little bit longer, so you don't loose that 2".

It's all clear to me now.

Have Fun!

Don

Asmerrill

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Blue Silk Golf TDI SEL
Did it this morning, works like a charm. Whats also nice is if you can't get to your remote and the car is unlocked, all you have to do is push the top of the VW symbol and it pops right up. I just hope it doesn't put undue stress on the struts.

lonniebear

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 6M 4dr.
Did this today. Works great. It is a little harder to shut. Putting the snap rings back on was not that easy.

bdisco

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 4dr Golf & '12 T-Reg.
Done! I did the 180 flip last night. My kind of mod, FREE! The hatch is a little harder to close and the head room is lower. Warning the hatch does come up pretty quick I was picking up the tools around the back of the car when my 8 year old daughter almost took me out when she hit the key fob.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
what a great find, thanks Mayor! why the heck weren't they factory installed this way?

so is this just a simple reversal of mounts? any other tips for doing this, tools needed, etc. would be much appreciated.

bdisco

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 4dr Golf & '12 T-Reg.
Flat head & T30 bit driver and a stick or board to prop the hatch so it doesn't bonk you on the head. Oh and I only undid the struts on the hatch left them attached to the bracket unscrewed and flipped and reattach. It's easier to slip the clip back on over the end of the strut (that is after you find the clip after it flies across the garage).

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
...and a stick or board to prop the hatch so it doesn't bonk you on the head.

You can also use some vise grips (and a rag to prevent scratches) on the other strut to prevent "bonking". See the MK6 instructions on the ECS website (there is a video).

Have Fun!

Don

golfTDI1

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI 6M 4dr
I did this on my Golf a while back, ordered the struts from ECS, installed them before work in the parking lot. All I did was remove the old struts, turn the ball joint brackets 180 degrees and install the new struts. No coding, no adjustments, no fuss. Just hold the hatch open button on the remote and it opens, or, press the VW symbol and it opens.

Something to note: when you remove the old struts the hatch is extremely heavy...get someone you trust (lol) to support it for you, or get something reliable to hold it up, maybe a piece of wood or something. I tried supporting in on my shoulder while I worked and that was less than ideal and somewhat dangerous. Even after you install one of the new struts the one new strut will not support the weight of the hatch.

Also: It DOES take a fair amount more oomph to close the hatch with the new struts. I don't mind it, but some people would.