Turning Rotors in Wichita, KS?

mikey141414

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A 2015 Nissan Rogue, 2017 Sonata Plug in Hybrid
I'm looking for a shop that will turn my rotors here in Wichita. Anyone had it done that can recommend a good shop? And about how much does it cost?

Thanks,
Mikey

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
I've found that you're better off to spend the extra money and get new rotors, turned rotors never worked good for me.

my $.02 :)

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Typically, turned rotors will work for maybe a few thousand miles, then will have to be replaced. Rotors aren't very expensive anyway.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Mikey, don't bother. Rotor are cheap and these typically don't hold up well to machining.

mikey141414

Veteran Member
TDI
Thats what I was wondering, if the price of getting them turned was much less than getting new ones. Bora parts has rears for $26 and fronts for $80. Does that sound right? WHy are the fronts so much more?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Fronts are vented and heavier.

Rotors are not expensive, there are many choices. Just get something that is OE grade, not C.R.A.P.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Fronts are vented and heavier.

Rotors are not expensive, there are many choices. Just get something that is OE grade, not C.R.A.P.

Actually a lot of places will sell ISO certified quality Chinese rotors. There are the Prothe rotors but the Bumper to Bumper or NAPA ones are just fine.

davrink

TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 2004 Dodge 2500 cummins 4x4
I bought a rotor for the front that turned out to be better designed than the original equipment. It now has 50,000 miles on it and no problems.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I'm looking for a shop that will turn my rotors here in Wichita. Anyone had it done that can recommend a good shop?
A good shop won't turn your rotors.

From the Bentley, FS III calipers, Front rotor (vented):
Thickness 22mm
Wear limit 19mm

Rear rotor (solid):
Thickness 9mm
Wear limit 7mm

Unless you've got a lathe in your garage it's gonna be cheaper, safer & easier to put on new rotors. And if you do, it's still safer!

mikey141414

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the advice everyone! This is one of those areas that I have been unclear on for awhile, but never really bothered to figure out. I ordered some OEM rears yesterday from my local VW parts store. $36 for both rears. I'm pretty sure this is where my wobble is coming from. I can hear a squeal when going in reverse.

Thanks everyone!