Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat TDI sedan (sold)
0 - Don't let the jockey near your car and do it for them.
Not in mandatory-full-serve NJ. (Yes, I know it's arguable that the rule doesn't apply to diesel -- but unless you're a trucker, most stations won't let you touch the pump by yourself.)

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Not in mandatory-full-serve NJ. (Yes, I know it's arguable that the rule doesn't apply to diesel -- but unless you're a trucker, most stations won't let you touch the pump by yourself.)

Then most stations won't get my business. I don't care if I have to go to a truck stop - the fuel is usually fresher anyway.

Even at a "car filling station" - I'm not opening the filler until I'm right there supervising the jockey to ensure he puts the correct nozzle in.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
There is no argument, the law does NOT apply to diesel. The problem is not all station owners and pump jockeys know that.

The no self-serve law specifically applies to flammable liquids as defined by their flash point temperature. Gasoline is flammable but diesel is not. Diesel is still combustible but not considered flammable according to its flash point temperature.

Best thing to do is get out of the car and watch the pump jockey like a hawk to make sure the correct fuel is used. Let them start the pump and then tell them you'll take over from there since the no self-serve law does not apply to diesel. They should be OK with that since it frees them up to go help waiting gasoline customers.

Fortunately NJ is a small enough state that I can fuel up outside of NJ and be well past NJ before I need to think about fueling up again.

n1das

TDI
I've occasionally gotten the "diesel?" from a clerk when I'm pre-paying for self-serve diesel but nobody has tried to stop me until recently. I just had one at Haffner's ("It Kicks!") in Hudson NH where I went inside to prepay for my fuel and said "$40 on 17" (pump #17 for diesel). Since I didn't say "diesel" the lady behind the counter looked around and saw my BMW 535d and said "I'm going to need you to pull ahead to the next pump." (A gas pump at the end of the island.) I said "NO! Pump 17, DIESEL!" "Oh you want diesel? OK! You're all set" she replied. At that point she knew that I was serious about using pump #17 for diesel and I knew exactly what I was doing. This station changed management recently and they have some new people behind the counter. The new lady behind the counter probably was unaware that I've been getting diesel there for the past 15 years and from the same pump.

A couple of the old timers are still there and they know I'm always there for diesel. I've been enough of a regular over the years that the old timers notice when I don't get fuel there for a few weeks at a time because I've been fueling up somewhere else.

Last edited:

n1das

TDI
My other favorite place to fuel up is at RMZ Truck Stop Inc. in Londonderry, NH. This station is a very busy truck stop at Exit 5 on I-93, serving the NH I-93 corridor. The truck stop has a Red Arrow Diner plus a NH Beer and Wine Outlet (aka NH State Liquor Store). This station gets a LOT of truck traffic due the location beside I-93.

The manager (owner?) at the station recently told me they get 12,000 gallons delivered there every day to keep up with diesel demand and to keep from running out. I like to fuel up here because it's the freshest fuel in the region so no worries about water contamination plus it's competitively priced and the lowest priced in the area. Cash sales normally are pay first but lately he has been letting me pump first then pay afterwards. The gassers fuel up in front of the station and the trucks fuel up in back. The diesel pumps are kept well away from the gassers. Even with the diesel pump truck islands behind the station, gasser customers shopping in the C-store who weren't there to get gasoline manage to block the auto diesel pump that I want to use. Never fails!

:)

t1n0m3n

TDI
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel
So out of the several years that I have kept track of this thread, I have never had a story to share... Until now.
The station that I frequent has a total of eight pumps (Four double sided pumps arranged in a square. Diesel occupies one doubled sided pump.) I typically don't have any issues.
I pulled in the other day to fill up. As I was pulling in, a gasser "beat" me to the free Diesel pump. On the other side, a rental truck (probably a 24', Penske or Ryder maybe) was filling up with Diesel, and it was big enough and angled such as to cover all four "inside" pumps. So there were three free gas only pumps in addition to the combo pump that the guy pulled up to. I pulled in behind the guy that beat me to the pump and waited. Not really in a hurry, so I was just sitting there listening to the radio.
The guy got out, and stared at the pump... Then he went into the store. I thought "Great! He is going to be in there a while!" However, he came out almost immediately and pulled up to the next pump and started getting gas. "Woohoo," I thought. I pulled forward and got out. I reached for the Diesel nozzle, and it was not there.
The guy that moved forward, yelled over to me, "That pump is in use." I told him that I had no choice as I needed Diesel.
I looked again, and noticed that the "in-use" pump was being used by the guy in the rental truck on the other side of the pump.

??? I was like what the F?

I looked around on the rental truck side of the pump, and sure enough... It was NOT being used.
I asked the guy if there was a problem with the pump, and he said "Oh, I need Diesel."
I pointed at the Diesel hose on his side, and said, "Well that nozzle is for Diesel." He said, "Oh, hmm, I didn't realize that."

I shrugged and told him that I was going to use his pump, since he was using mine.
I swiped, entered all the stuff to start the pump and started pumping.

As I was pumping, I noticed that he was clicking off the pump, coming over to my side, looking at the meter, then getting into the truck for 30 or more seconds... I assume looking at the fuel gauge.
After about 4 times of this (and I am almost finished) he tells me that these rental trucks are never filled up all the way when you get them...
I realized that he is trying to get the gas gauge *exactly* where it was when he picked it up.

At that point I am done at 24 gallons. He is just reaching 22 gallons, and is still pumping... I drive off shaking my head.

Last edited:

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
I just had one last night, had me chuckling. Was pulling in to a Wawa to fill up, and had a super duty towing a trailer in front of me. He turned hard right to circle the pumps, so I went left around them on the other side. This Wawa has a total of 8 pump islands (16 pumps) of which only 2 islands on one end have diesel, so anyone getting diesel has to fight for those 4 pumps.

So I knew the super duty was headed for diesel, but he'd been in my way, drving slow in the left lane, for 2 miles already and I didn't care any more... Swung around and got to the first outside pump that had diesel, the inside 2 were blocked by a 24 foot truck. I figured I left enough room in front of me that the super duty could get to the pump if he wanted; but I guess he didn't agree and circled back around to pull in behind the 24 foot truck.

I opened my fuel door, added my Optilube, and was putting my card in as the 24 footer pulled away and the super duty was able to get to a pump as well. Just as I finish paying and was about to pull the handle, he jumps out and comes over to me; gives me a quick look like he wanted to fight and said "These pumps are for diesel, you should stay at the gas pumps so you don't block the guys who need them!"

I laugh, look at him, pick up the diesel handle, and put it in my car. As I start it, I just stare at him. He looked at my BMW, looked at me, looked at the green handle, and shook his head. I said "It doesn't have to tow 10,000 pounds to take diesel bud, I thought I left you enough room in front of me though..."

He looked again, mumbled something about the trailer and walked back to his truck. I just chuckled... :D

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
I just had one last night, had me chuckling. Was pulling in to a Wawa to fill up, and had a super duty towing a trailer in front of me. He turned hard right to circle the pumps, so I went left around them on the other side. This Wawa has a total of 8 pump islands (16 pumps) of which only 2 islands on one end have diesel, so anyone getting diesel has to fight for those 4 pumps.

So I knew the super duty was headed for diesel, but he'd been in my way, drving slow in the left lane, for 2 miles already and I didn't care any more... Swung around and got to the first outside pump that had diesel, the inside 2 were blocked by a 24 foot truck. I figured I left enough room in front of me that the super duty could get to the pump if he wanted; but I guess he didn't agree and circled back around to pull in behind the 24 foot truck.

I opened my fuel door, added my Optilube, and was putting my card in as the 24 footer pulled away and the super duty was able to get to a pump as well. Just as I finish paying and was about to pull the handle, he jumps out and comes over to me; gives me a quick look like he wanted to fight and said "These pumps are for diesel, you should stay at the gas pumps so you don't block the guys who need them!"

I laugh, look at him, pick up the diesel handle, and put it in my car. As I start it, I just stare at him. He looked at my BMW, looked at me, looked at the green handle, and shook his head. I said "It doesn't have to tow 10,000 pounds to take diesel bud, I thought I left you enough room in front of me though..."

He looked again, mumbled something about the trailer and walked back to his truck. I just chuckled... :D
Why didn't you pull forward? Pulling forward is the courteous thing to do. Hate people that block a lane by stopping at the first pump. Some stations make it hard to drive by, and having to back into a pump sucks.

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
Why didn't you pull forward? Pulling forward is the courteous thing to do. Hate people that block a lane by stopping at the first pump. Some stations make it hard to drive by, and having to back into a pump sucks.
The way it sounds is that the guy with the truck was coming in from the other way, so pulling forward would have blocked him, staying back would allow him ti pull in so their vehicles face each other.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
If his station is like the one by me, the combo diesel/gas IS the first pump!

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Pulling forward only works if both vehicles have the tank on the same side... Ever seen a Super Duty with the tank on the passenger side (IE like a BMW)? :p

You should probably save your hate for people that actually do something wrong or rude; for all you know unless you watch them do it someone was at the pump in front of them when they pulled up...
The way it sounds is that the guy with the truck was coming in from the other way, so pulling forward would have blocked him, staying back would allow him ti pull in so their vehicles face each other.
^That...

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Wow...

So apparently I killed the thread... :p

So I have another story: Was filling up end of last week and a diesel Passat pulled up on the other side of the island I was at. He started filling his car and walked partway around the island to look at my BMW (guess he saw the green handle and was confirming it was a diesel).

He asked me what kind of mileage I get, we talked a bit and I explained that I had a diesel Golf previously but used the buyback to "upgrade" to the BMW. When he left he had that gears-turning look in his eye :D

Gangles

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Hatch
My stories are mainly just guys filling work trucks asking me how many MPG I see. No one has yelled at me to stop putting diesel in my car.

I feel like with the recent "dieselgate" the general public is now aware that VW has diesel cars.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
My stories are mainly just guys filling work trucks asking me how many MPG I see. No one has yelled at me to stop putting diesel in my car.

I feel like with the recent "dieselgate" the general public is now aware that VW had diesel cars.
There, I fixed it for you. :D

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
While I was pumping my Mkiv Jetta wagon yesterday a Mkvi JSW rolled up and was waiting (only one diesel pump). Had a great conversation (we got some strange looks from the gasser people as we geeked out over our TDIs lol) with the owner who loves her car and is still up in the air about keeping it or getting the fix. She bought it from Les at GDM so I suggested she take the fix money and have him really fix it by put a Rawtek exhaust, Malone tune, and a CP3 on it and drive on well into the future.

She saw my TDIClub sticker and asked about the site. Hopefuly she visits and decideds to keep her car!

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Stopped at a station with a combo pump, and the gas nozzle had a bag over it. Some old guy said it doesn't pump gas. I said thanks with a thumbs up. Wasn't sure how else to compliment him without being offending. I reached for the other nozzle and continued.

He drove off offended.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Stopped at a station with a combo pump, and the gas nozzle had a bag over it. Some old guy said it doesn't pump gas. I said thanks with a thumbs up. Wasn't sure how else to compliment him without being offending. I reached for the other nozzle and continued.

He drove off offended.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
Thanks! My car is a diesel. That may have worked.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
"Thanks, it's a good thing I don't need gas". :D

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
"Good sir; your concern for my and my automobile's well-being is noted and appreciated. However, my conveyance actually runs on diesel fuel rather than gasoline, so this pump will in fact be adequate for my needs and allows me to remain without obstructing busy gasoline users such as yourself. Once again I applaud your care for your fellow man, and I bid you good day!"

If he stutters then follow up with
"I said GOOD DAY, sir!"

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
"Good sir; your concern for my and my car's well-being is noted and appreciated. However, my conveyance actually runs on diesel fuel rather than gasoline, so this pump will in fact be adequate for my needs and allows me to remain without obstructing busy gasoline users such as yourself. Once again I applaud your care for your fellow man, and I bid you good day!"

If he stutters then follow up with
"I said GOOD DAY, sir!"
I wish I could do the excessive verbosity thing in real life. Alas, I stumble over myself.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
So back to fill up stories....

Just got my Scout this summer and first few fill ups just about everybody had to come over and comment on it. Favorite was at a Murphy a block from the house. Pair of guys pulled in pulling fast looking lake boats. Both were amazed at its condition and commented "you must have paid a pretty penny for that"

I miss my TDI and keep looking for another, but in the mean time I have a different conversation piece.

Jason

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
Has anyone noticed how quickly an HGV diesel pump dispatches fuel... Quite startling!!

Its like tanking a Typhoon FGR4 off the back of a VC10...

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Has anyone noticed how quickly an HGV diesel pump dispatches fuel... Quite startling!!
high volume truck pumps are quite often unfiltered

they'd need a bank of spin on filters to handle the volume, and that would get expensive quickly