VW Golf TDI BlueMotion gets 73.5 mpg

bfalke1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI, Tech Package, 6MT, 4 door - SOLD
I know many folks around here would like to see a GTD, but a decently-equipped BlueMotion TDI is what I'd rather see.
I would like to see both... but if we only get one, I think that the GTD would get more press coverage, so it would be better for diesel's overall health in the US. Which would mean, it would make us more likely to get a big sales number, and therefore more likely for the other "special" versions we don't get to make it stateside.

Maybe I am wrong, but I think this way... As much as I like my car, a BlueMotion TDI in a review, would probably be the same, excepting that its quieter at a light... that seems to me as though it would not excite non-diesel people.

85Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4dr TDI w/DSG
The day we will see a Blue Motion or a GTD on a LOT as a new vehicle (not imported, used, and traded) Will be the day they Fire the head of VWoA and get a real Car Guy in!

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I would like to see both... but if we only get one, I think that the GTD would get more press coverage, so it would be better for diesel's overall health in the US. Which would mean, it would make us more likely to get a big sales number, and therefore more likely for the other "special" versions we don't get to make it stateside.
Maybe I am wrong, but I think this way... As much as I like my car, a BlueMotion TDI in a review, would probably be the same, excepting that its quieter at a light... that seems to me as though it would not excite non-diesel people.
I think one of the reasons diesels get bad rap is that hybrids have stolen all the thunder. We all know that in the real world, diesels more than deliver on their fuel efficiency promises, especially on the highway.

But you never see diesels participating in special government rebate programs.

A BlueMotion that gets 70+ mpg, drives like a normal car, and doesn't cost an arm-and-a-leg more than its equivalent gasser, to me, would be a sterling advertisement for diesel and might make folks wake up and demand that diesels also get a share of the "green" pie being doled out by governments.

I don't have any need for more torque or HP than I'm currently getting with my Golf. In fact I have way more than I usually use. But I do have a lot of interest in saving even more fuel. Greater range, lower annual expenses, and no need to sacrifice comfort, convenience and even fun, to get it.

jahlov420

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 sportwagen MANUAL! DPF-Delete @ stage 2
it would be nice to see that come to the state. Europe has had 60+mpg cars for a while. we here in the state settle for less

eav

TDI
Jetta, 2015 Sportwagen
There's no way to get both? Perhaps with some compromise, a GTD with the aerodynamic tweaks of the Bluemotion and the handling of the GTD.

I800C0LLECT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta & Passat
I think this all comes down to the same thing it always does...different engine and different emissions.

They would have to redesign the emissions for that engine and then pay for it all to be tested/certified. For such a small market, I don't see the point. That's why they pick a middle of the road engine that's not all out power or efficiency. Something that most buyers can compromise on.

heidelberger75

TDI
2010 Golf Variant (wagon) 1.6 TDI, 5sp
The european mileage estimates for cars are wildly optimistic and don't reflect the real world. I drive a 2010 1.6tdi with 105 hp and don't get near the reported test figures. I think when they say 3.2 they ACTUALLY mean the steady state mileage between 50-60 mph.

Of course that's still really good but throw a few stops lights in there and a heavy foot and its not realistic.

I don't see many americans wanting a car with that low hp either. It's a slow car.

85Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4dr TDI w/DSG
The european mileage estimates for cars are wildly optimistic and don't reflect the real world. I drive a 2010 1.6tdi with 105 hp and don't get near the reported test figures. I think when they say 3.2 they ACTUALLY mean the steady state mileage between 50-60 mph.

Of course that's still really good but throw a few stops lights in there and a heavy foot and its not realistic.

I don't see many americans wanting a car with that low hp either. It's a slow car.
True on the slow ride thing, however, only true if the person is a gear head. If they are a Toyota, Nissan, and Honda owner, they don't care about handling, performance, or quality. They just care about Safety and Mileage.

I like to drive, and I like to feel what the car and the road are doing. I was in a Loaner Camery (2011), and I can now see why MT, C&D, R&T all say the Japanese brands are just appliances. Very Very dull ride, SLOW, and Plastic as far as the eye can see!

So, if VW were to accomplish their goal of 800,000 units per year, they need to bring the BlueMotion line up over to the US, and also bring over a Diesel in ALL Models. But it needs to be reliable too. Put the Passat's set up in the Golf and other Diesel Models. The Passats are everywhere in this area now, and They out number the Camery and Altima on the road now, at least from what I see. And almost All the Passat's that I see are TDI models as well.