Can you collapse the caliper piston on a Passat without the special tool?

ruavol2

Bristol, Tennessee Birthplace of Country Music
TDI
2004 Passat TDI
I need to change the brake pads on my Passat 2004 TDI. I saw a few videos on how to do this. I have changed many on my FORD truck. All you need is a larger C clamp to do this. Can this be done with simple tools rather than having to find and buy one specifically for that...........now......the reason I ask this is because I have not seen the rear caliper piston closeup as two of my lug nuts one on each rear side have become stripped. Which will be my next post to the forum. Tips on how to correct that. Man the metal on that lug nut is soft.

Any thoughts on if a C clamp or other simple device can be used..? Any support is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
You can get a caliper rewind tool for a free rental at most auto parts stores. You have to screw it back in, you can't just press.

-J

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
I gather you're talking about the rear disc brakes.

If so, unlike the front disc calipers which *can* simply be compressed with a c-clamp etc, the rear brake calipers need to be rotated as they are compressed, due to the emergency brake mechanism only found on the rear brakes.

There's a special tool your can buy/rent... you can also turn 'em with waterpump pliers if you're slow and careful. If you don't rotate 'em while compressing you'll ruin the caliper unfortunately.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I use a C-clamp on the front.........presses in with no issues. About two weeks ago, I did the front pads on my brother's '02 in about half hour! No reported problems. I have done my '00 Jetta the same way twice on the front and three times on the rear with no issues!

On the rear, I've used a combo of C-clamp and pliers to crank/screw it back in. It's a slow procedure but can be done!

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Use a tougue wrench on the lug bolts.

newtdidave

TDI
2003 TDI GLS 5sp ALH
I used to do it with pliers and waterpumps....but the tool saved me a lot of hassle, and three times as fast.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
three times as fast
Agreed... plus with pliers you can only retract it so far... and you constantly risk nicking the dust boot.

Pliers are great if you're in a pinch, but IMHO this is one of those wonderful times when you can turn a pain-in-the-butt job into a piece-of-cake job by obtaining the right tool. :)