Pictures from today's (9/4) drag racing event

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
Miles would definitely be a better use of a tdi.
Get a chance to see the whole power band!
But the you open up a bigger can of worms...5th gear set...6th gear set...
It would be neat to see the trap times though.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Yes, that would be great... plus we may get a chance to see / complete against the fastest TDI in the world !! ;)

What I would really like to see is the next fest to be in TEXAS. Quarters are fine, but a mile would be even FINER :rolleyes:

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
I know of four places to run the mile. Utah, NC, Maine and Texas. The Maxton Mile in NC is run 3 or 4 times a year. How often is the Texas track open for business :)

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I personally would prefer UT over TX... closer to the Joneses as well and for the Socal boys too. Are you thinking of Bonneville?

I know of four places to run the mile. Utah, NC, Maine and Texas. The Maxton Mile in NC is run 3 or 4 times a year. How often is the Texas track open for business :)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
What's the altitude of the Texas mile course?
I know how much Bonneville's altitude saps power (109 mph trap speed at 2001 'fest, when 'practice' in N.J. the week before got 117 mph).

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
What's the altitude of the Texas mile course?
I know how much Bonneville's altitude saps power (109 mph trap speed at 2001 'fest, when 'practice' in N.J. the week before got 117 mph).
Oh jeez, 9 years later we'd be killing those numbers. I don't know how fast some of the more built up cars would reach, but I'm inclined to think in the 140's :eek:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh jeez, 9 years later we'd be killing those numbers. I don't know how fast some of the more built up cars would reach, but I'm inclined to think in the 140's :eek:
OK target 140... Boneville ... Next year .... We'll make a TDI GTG out of it...

Are you Joneses?

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
OK target 140... Boneville ... Next year .... We'll make a TDI GTG out of it...

Are you Joneses?
Pierre, I just talked to a friend who just got back from Bonneville.... I'm starting my plans to go now..... :)

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
Pierre, I just talked to a friend who just got back from Bonneville.... I'm starting my plans to go now..... :)
Too far for us east coasters, maybe we will have to set up something in NC at Maxton, just so we don't feel like we are being left out.

But that is something that most likely needs to be started in another thread :rolleyes:

Lug_Nut

TDI

Lug_Nut

TDI
Salt grip, although not as bad as snow, will seriously reduce the acceleration rate, meaning you'll be 1/4 mile downrange but not moving much faster than if at 1/8 mile on sticky pavement.
At 1/2 mile on the salt you'll be doing a bit better than 1/4 mile (on asphalt) trap speed. From that point, and that 100 mph speed, you'll have only about 17 seconds to accelerate to 130 mph by 1 mile mark.
That was the goal we were trying to achieve in 2001.

The first 30 mph are easy. That last 30 mph just never gets there.

Last edited:

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Interesting discussion... first thoughts for me were, summer, Texas, hot, 1 mile, flat out, EGT's... :eek:

tongboy

Veteran Member
TDI
91 Jetta TDI Swap, 97 M3 LS1 Swap
Salt grip, although not as bad as snow, will seriously reduce the acceleration rate, meaning you'll be 1/4 mile downrange but not moving much faster than if at 1/8 mile on sticky pavement.
At 1/2 mile on the salt you'll be doing a bit better than 1/4 mile (on asphalt) trap speed. From that point, and that 100 mph speed, you'll have only about 17 seconds to accelerate to 130 mph by 1 mile mark.
That was the goal we were trying to achieve in 2001.

The first 30 mph are easy. That last 30 mph just never gets there.
doh, I was thinking texas mile that is done on an old airstrip isn't it?

I remember the top gear where they were running at bonneville and how different the salt was compared to pavement and how hard it was getting the high v8's halo cars to turn decent top speeds. something that is easy to not think about until you drive across it the first time

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
Don't they let you run for 2 miles if you are shooting for the 150 MPH mark? Why not just set up for the 150 and shoot for the 130 mark. That extra mile ought to get you up to speed if you can keep the EGT's down low enough to make the entire run at full throttle.

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
For those that are interested, these are the Texas Mile results for Greg this year. Another good reason to make a GTG in Texas next year.

GREG
HOGUE
Vehicle
Unlimited Street Car - Unlimited Power Ad
VW
BEETLE

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Woops, didn't even think that the salt would completely wreck things. You're right, not the same. However, there will be lots of TDI's this year in the 260whp range. So, that scoobie with 227hp can suck on smoke LOL ;) I don't know, if you took a 260whp TDI and then tossed a 100shot of NOS on it... Should be fast :D

--edit-- back in the day, the TDI's ran 117 with .205's, a WETT chip, and a 2.5" exhaust. I still think some of the TDI's (MAXRPM for example) could hit 140...

Last edited:

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Considering the exponential relationship between speed and air resistance, it's hard to know just how fast an 'uber-modded' TDI can go. Anything over 125-130 mph becomes a real struggle. Using average numbers, it takes about 145HP just to overcome the wind resistance @ 150 MPH.

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Let's get a thread started with the proper title

140 mph Boneville 2011 GTG Flying mile - Who's in?

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Totally agree... perhaps excepting the "Bone-ville" part... (Hahahaha, sorry couldn't resist...)

tongboy

Veteran Member
TDI
91 Jetta TDI Swap, 97 M3 LS1 Swap
Woops, didn't even think that the salt would completely wreck things. You're right, not the same. However, there will be lots of TDI's this year in the 260whp range. So, that scoobie with 227hp can suck on smoke LOL ;) I don't know, if you took a 260whp TDI and then tossed a 100shot of NOS on it... Should be fast :D

--edit-- back in the day, the TDI's ran 117 with .205's, a WETT chip, and a 2.5" exhaust. I still think some of the TDI's (MAXRPM for example) could hit 140...
car aero and gearing is going to make just as much of a difference as all the power.

total weight gets not TOO interesting in top speed but it comes into play when running a given distance so a stripped out 250+whp tdi is going to get substantially passed that stockish wrx