Block heater or frost heater...anyone have one?

hoorders

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if any of you have a block heater or a frost heater on your TDI. I read on the forum that the canadian cars came with the frost heater. Ihave no idea if my 2003 TDI has this. Dont even know where to look or if it would have a plug like a traditional block heater.

If someone has one...if you could post some pics that would be great.

Thanks.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
No A4 Jetta's came with a block heater from the factory. Most folks retro fit in a frost heater per se. You will see this fitted in line with the oil cooler. Have a search on the forums and take a look. Canadian Tire and Partsource sell the frost heater.

hoorders

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Thats great that Canadian Tire sells them. There is one just a couple of mins from my place. Might have to go check it out.

Thanks.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
To be clear, Canadian Tire sells coolant heaters, like this Temco unit:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...3295P/Circulation+Engine+Heater.jsp?locale=en

To be used on our TDIs you will also need to fab a mounting bracket and track down a specific hose that goes in place of one of the existing oil cooler hoses.

You can also buy an actual Frostheater, which is a complete kit including the coolant heater, the bracket, the specific hoses and clamps, etc, from Terry:

www.frostheater.com

All depends on how much DIY you want to do.

It's also worth noting that "frostheater" is a great search term to use here... hundreds and hundreds of threads on this, the pros and cons of rolling your own, etc etc etc. :)

hoorders

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Cool. Thanks for the clarification. I checked out the 'frost heater' and it seems like they have done a great job withe the product and installation instructions. I wonder if the Canadian Tire unit has GOOD clear instructions.

mecne

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Jetta TDI
Cool. Thanks for the clarification. I checked out the 'frost heater' and it seems like they have done a great job withe the product and installation instructions. I wonder if the Canadian Tire unit has GOOD clear instructions.
No instructions . Great diy on the forums , many posts on this topic in the ontario section .

I've done the CT one and its not that hard, but didn't fit as nice as the Frostheater .
My recomendation , spend the little more on the Frostheater you won't regret it .

mecne

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Jetta TDI
It's febuary...worst is over now...haven't plugged in once this winter, that is probably it...
Been using the frostheater on my 01 religiously, but it stays outside .
My wife's Golf resides in the garage , and has been fine with out it as it's been sitting on the bench.

Added the FrostHeater I had on the bench into the Golf today .. Did the ThermoStat and Temp Sensor so I got everything done while the coolant was drained .

Was doing good .. had caught all the coolant .. even when I pulled the oil cooler line for the FrostHeater . Then I pulled the temp sensor and had Niagara Falls off the back of the motor (first time changing one) .. DOH!! good thing I keep a good amount of absorball on hand ..

I'm still amazed the golf has an intact factory belly pan and sides .

Temp gauge is now pegged at 90 degrees and blowing lots more heat .. was reading 60 degrees at operating temp in VCDS.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Identical heating units (They are Temro), only difference is the custom hoses with the 'Frostheater' kits...

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
....and the laser cut bracket that fits perfectly on the base of the battery box,and the loom for both hoses, and the detailed instructions, and the over-the-phone support, and the bag of M&Ms :)

Not affiliated with Frostheater in any way BTW...just a happy customer. I have two Jettas and have tried both approaches...like I say...it all hinges on how much DIY you are comfortable with.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
....and the laser cut bracket that fits perfectly on the base of the battery box,and the loom for both hoses, and the detailed instructions, and the over-the-phone support, and the bag of M&Ms :)
Not affiliated with Frostheater in any way BTW...just a happy customer. I have two Jettas and have tried both approaches...like I say...it all hinges on how much DIY you are comfortable with.
.....and the extra what.... $70? You forgot to mention that. :)

Regardless of what kit the OP goes with, a coolant heater is the best thing you can do for your TDI in the winter.

hoorders

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Im definitely going to check out the unit Canadian Tire has. Im pretty handy and can fab up brackets, etc no problem. So if I can save some $$$ might just go with the Canadian Tire one.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Im definitely going to check out the unit Canadian Tire has. Im pretty handy and can fab up brackets, etc no problem. So if I can save some $$$ might just go with the Canadian Tire one.
The brackets that come with the retail Temro kit are fine... It's a dead easy install.. Hang it off the battery bracket, splice into the lower oil cooler hose, then back into the hose below the vac pump. Simple stuff.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
A less complicated option is an oil pan warmer. I have one on the '99.5. Just starred using it a couple of weeks ago and it's great.

hoorders

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Went to check out the units at Canadian Tire and they have 750watt - 1000watt and 1500watt ones. Im thinking of just going with the 75owatt one simply because its the less expensive of the 3.....and I think the n750watt will be fine to warm the coolant.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Don't forget to remove the check valve if you are buying the round one. The square ones don't have check valves, but supply of those are very low, so might not find one at your local CT?

red golf tdi

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
Don't forget to remove the check valve if you are buying the round one. The square ones don't have check valves, but supply of those are very low, so might not find one at your local CT?
The CT units are too tall for most TDI installations.

red golf tdi

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
A less complicated option is an oil pan warmer. I have one on the '99.5. Just starred using it a couple of weeks ago and it's great.
Remove the oil pan heater ASAP!!! They are KNOWN to cause many FIRES on the TDI!!!! Besides, the TDI requires a full synthetic oil anyway, which flows easily in very cold temperatures.

Volkswagen even stopped selling them over 10 years ago!

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Remove the oil pan heater ASAP!!! They are KNOWN to cause many FIRES on the TDI!!!! Besides, the TDI requires a full synthetic oil anyway, which flows easily in very cold temperatures.

Volkswagen even stopped selling them over 10 years ago!
n rare cases, they are known to cause fire if the belly pan is installed and the heater falls off the oil pan and lands on it. I don't have a belly pen, so all is well. :eek:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
CT sells the EXACT same Temro Zerostart you use in your 'FrostHeater' kits..
Maybe yes, maybe no. The part number for the Canadian Tire Zerostart heaters is based on the wattage. But it does not differentiate between round or square units. So, when you get one from CT, it could be either. You can't specify between the 2 shapes based on a product number. Some CT's will have square ones, some will have round ones.....same part number. Or at least that was the way it used to be. Maybe they have updated their system? The bottom picture has 2 different units purchased from the same CT with the same CT product number, but that was several years ago.

The square ones have a shorter height between the inlet & outlet, which might make instalation easier. However, one drawback to the square ones is the power cord is not replacable like the round ones. If you have ever forgot to unplug your cord before driving off, it helps to have the ability to replace the cord. I have installed both types in MKIV ALH cars. I cannot comment on Passats or newer Golf/Jettas. The round ones may be too tall for those????

Side by side:

Last edited:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
FYI...Frost heater brand kits are available In Canada if you want to get it faster and know upfront what the costs will be (stuff from the US takes longer and is hit & miss if you get charged depending on the method of delivery and the mood of the customs agent.

Check out Roseland Technical Services:

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/roseland/VWPartsA4.htm

bangoman

TDI
Former 2.0 TDI owner
FYI...Frost heater brand kits are available In Canada if you want to get it faster and know upfront what the costs will be (stuff from the US takes longer and is hit & miss if you get charged depending on the method of delivery and the mood of the customs agent.

Check out Roseland Technical Services:

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/roseland/VWPartsA4.htm
Damn I wish I'd seen this sooner. I ordered from the States. Oh well.

I've dealt with Roseland before - fast and friendly, great service.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
n rare cases, they are known to cause fire if the belly pan is installed and the heater falls off the oil pan and lands on it. I don't have a belly pen, so all is well. :eek:
Plan on replacing your turbo actuator regularly if you run without a belly pan in winter - salt makes short work of them.

Simon

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Plan on replacing your turbo actuator regularly if you run without a belly pan in winter - salt makes short work of them.

Simon
No worries there either. The on there is a reaurected rustes old one anyways. It's leaking but still ok for now. I've read all abput the merits of not having a belly pan in the winter and yet, my '00 had 525K km on the original actuator and was missing the pan for the last 4 years of it's life. The actuator worked perfectly when I sold the car last summer. This is the same car that had the origonal fuel filter that it came with from the assembly line. :)

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
No worries there either. The on there is a reaurected rustes old one anyways. It's leaking but still ok for now. I've read all abput the merits of not having a belly pan in the winter and yet, my '00 had 525K km on the original actuator and was missing the pan for the last 4 years of it's life. The actuator worked perfectly when I sold the car last summer. This is the same car that had the origonal fuel filter that it came with from the assembly line. :)
Yeah, I have a 30-year old Bravo that just won't die despite years of abuse and neglect, but for the most part I believe care and maintenance pays back in reliability and longevity.

I don't take the Bravo more than a 1/2 hour's walk from the cottage ;)

Simon