where to get motor mounts?

tonywong

TDI
2000 Jetta
Although clutch and flywheels threads are always up but there isnt much information about motor mounts. One of the clutch threads had somebody recommending that you replace the motor mount when u change the clutch and flywheel. Are motor mounts just bolts or an expensive part? Because i looked into it at ECStuning site and there is this complete engine mount package for like $500+. So school me on motor mounts and if you could post a website where to get descent mounts that would be great. Thank you.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
all you would need to do is have the motor mount bolts that would be removed replaced not the mount itself.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
If you have over 200,000 miles then replacing may be a good idea, Each mount (2 required) is around $100.00 at the dealer.

DB

cage

Top Post Dawg
Depending on the age of your car... They are just rubber bushings which do harden and crack with time.

While they won't hurt to reuse you will notice less engine noise inside the car with new ones.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Drivbiwire said:
If you have over 200,000 miles then replacing may be a good idea, Each mount (2 required) is around $100.00 at the dealer.

DB
Could you expand on this? Are you talking about the top part of the pendulum mounts that suspend the engine/transmission ? What about the lower part of those mounts (brackets) that bolt onto the engine (They can get their threads stripped after a while...) ? Ditto for the lower rear mount... Are these all to be renewed on high-milage vehicles ??

Yuri.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
The upper mounts have rubber supports, time will cause them to sag and not absorb vibration...common sense says to replace after awhile.

The lower side mount can be re-used several times. As long as bolts aren't re-used, over-torqued and you use NEW OEM BOLTS that have the thread protection coatings I see no reason why the mount can't last 5+ timing belt changes.

DB

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Drivbiwire said:
The upper mounts have rubber supports, time will cause them to sag and not absorb vibration...common sense says to replace after awhile.
...sigh... I guess on my next timing belt change (oh... about 14 months away... should be up to 286,000 miles by then) I may as well replace the mounts... and the cam followers... and...

Thanks,

Yuri.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I saw that post on the dov definatly take the advice from drivbiwire before anything from there. They are saying install the poly bushings which from what I have read are not a good idea on the tdi as the transmit to much vibration.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I am starting to think that replacing the mounts after 150-200K might be a good idea. I can't imagine that any of the rubber parts of the car should be expected to perform at their best after this much time. I'm going to renew my mounts at my next TB change (scheduled for 180K).

Having said this, if it ain't broke....

tonywong

TDI
2000 Jetta
yea i surf the DOV site a lot but OF COURSE i'm gonna listen to the ppl here because u all drive diesels like i do. most local ppl here in Vancouver drive 1.8T.