How-to: Repair the air filter snow screen

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
For those of us that prefer to keep a snow screen, the original snow screen of the B5.5 air filter box tears easily. Note holes around the edges in the picture.

VW's ETKA does not list the correct replacement part for this screen. That leaves us to figure out a solution for ourselves.

This is a cheap solution (relative to other mods I have done ;) ). Go to your local home improvement/hardware store and buy a package of paint strainers such as the ones pictured.

Take one out of the package and cut a piece out to cover the opening in the air filter box. Make the piece big enough to hold while you install the frame (see next step).

Cut off the remnants of the old screen and reinstall the frame to secure the strainer piece. Install the screw back in to the frame (hole at lower left in the picture).

You're done. Reassemble the air filter box.

Another option is to cover the intake point where the snorkle fits onto the air filter box. Do not do both options. I found it obstructs the intake too much and the car would not idle properly.

I verified, with VCDS display of MAF readings, that the air flow through this filter was just as good as before.

The package of strainers cost $1.98+tax USD. :eek: There is plenty of material to make several filters. My budget might even allow me to splurge and just replace the screen periodically, rather than clean.

The advantage of option 1: stays in place when you have to remove the snorkle for maintenance work.

The advantage of option 2: easier to clean or replace.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
While we are on the subject, and hopefully this is not taken as a hi-jack.

During our our recent volcanic burp, I removed the snorkel that sticks out to the front of the grill and went with inside the engine compartment air intake.

It keeps ingestion to a minimum (unless really thing and at that point.......)

Also, I carry a section of filter media that I can warp around it if bad and at least make it home.

No suffering of fuel mileage, and of course, you aren't going to suck in the junk that gets into the so called snow filter (which seems to be sand and not snow!).

Any thoughts on what the purpose of running out the front is when all you are doing is picking up maximum crud?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Yes your post is off topic of the thread. The answer is "cold air" intake vs. sucking in engine compartment "warm air". Covered in numerous threads in "Upgrades" forum, "TDI 101", etc.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lug Nut, since I don't have any, I eagerly await the results of your test with yours. ;)

LLIPD, I think the $1.98 supporting my local economy was a better choice than shipping from McMaster-Carr. There are other products at MC that I considered (based on the mesh size) but landed up with this choice. It is clearly designed for use in a moist environment with a mesh size similar to the original.