Drive axle issue or ?

simonbee

TDI
2005 Passat 2L TDI
I have a 2005 TDI passat converted to a manual transmission. I have close to 10K miles on it since the conversion and it has working flawlessly. I drove the car yesterday and noticed an intermittent chucking as a lack on a better word. The car drive nice a smooth for 20 miles and then I experience intermittent pulling pulses to the right. I can feel it in the steering wheel. At first i though i had ice chucks stuck between the wheel and the fender but it was all free. I feels like something is binding up in cv axles. The axles are fairly new and the boots are all intact. Could it be the breaks? Any suggestions?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Could it be the tires slowly coming apart too. Switch the rear tires with the fronts (one at a time) and see if the problem goes away.

simonbee

TDI
2005 Passat 2L TDI
Ok found my problem. I was inspecting the passenger side drive axle since the car seem to pull that side. Since i did not find anything of concern and decided to take a look at the driver side and there i found a torn boot. The darn thing only had 8k miles on it. It was a cheep axle and i got what i paid for it.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
If you can always stick to the original GKN shaft and replace the outer joint. The inners rarely go. You can easily buy the other joints in GKN.