TDIFest 2012, Where will it be?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
All the hand wringing about a fest...

Oh! What will I do with my life if there is no fest next year?!?!?!

quickly followed by
Why does it have to be there?!?! It's too far away!! There are better places than that!!!

So start thinking about where YOU want one to be, what YOU'd like to have happen, and YOU start talking with others to see if YOU as a group want to consider making a bid to host.

You have a bit over 18 months to plan for a 2012 event. or 2013.
It'd be nice to know, at this year's event, that there are competing proposals for next year's.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi

quickly followed by
Why does it have to be there?!?! It's too far away!! There are better places than that!!!

So start thinking about where YOU want one to be, what YOU'd like to have happen, and YOU start talking with others to see if YOU as a group want to consider making a bid to host.

It'd be nice to know, at this year's event, that there are competing proposals for next year's.

Kill-joy :rolleyes: ...... You engineers really have to take all the fun out of things, especially one of America's/Canada's favorite past-times -------- complaining :D .

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I say Lexington again or Louisville. Because it is going to be amazing this year!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Scouting out some possibilities right now... Ypsilanti, MI would be awesome.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!

quickly followed by

*standing ovation*
Well said, Jon! no one's going to plan it for you. If you want it, you have to make it happen. Let's have this be a huge announcement at this years banquet... "and the winner of the 2012 TDIFest location goes to....." :D:eek:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
An announcement at Fest would be fantastic! :cool:

vwdzi

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 1981 Rabbit Pickup
How about somewhere on the east coast? I would be down to travel anywhere on the east coast, i really wanna go to a TDI fest but everything has been soo distant

Lug_Nut

TDI
Poor Tomo... He can delete his own posts, but he can't delete someone elses post where he's been quoted...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
What is the "middle?"

Texas? Wisconsin? Nebraska? Indiana?

Middle of the land mass or middle of the population?

Are you volunteering? :)

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Lug_Nut said:
*standing ovation*
Well said, Jon! no one's going to plan it for you. If you want it, you have to make it happen. Let's have this be a huge announcement at this years banquet... "and the winner of the 2012 TDIFest location goes to....." :D:eek:
I second that! Attend this year's Fest with an eye towards how it's done and how YOU could do it BACK HOME...then you'll be able to bring it to wherever you want!

Orth92

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI (164,XXX Miles) 1.9L, Stage 1.5 malone tuned
I think we should have it in wisconsin or illinois. They seem to be both kinda in the middle of the u.s......

Lug_Nut

TDI
2000 in Wilmington, NC. No expectations, no preconceived notions of what should happen at a typical Fest, a total adventure with wide eyed innocence and camaraderie.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
2000 in Wilmington, NC. No expectations, no preconceived notions of what should happen at a typical Fest, a total adventure with wide eyed innocence and camaraderie.
I missed that one by a week. :(

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Lots of reasons: Rural location, no hassles with parking and great driving roads; garage available where members were doing serious wrenching (tb changes, skid plate installs, IP swaps, etc.); nice public park for the show and shine; it was promoted on NPR which brought TDI owners out of the woodwork; we had the hotel pretty much to ourselves; and the weather was perfect (warm and dry). Downsides I recall were there wasn't much vendor space (I wasn't a vendor then); and we really didn't have a space for tech sessions.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
IMHO the highlight of that fest was the family fleeing the hurricane (Katrina?) in their TDI, who stumbled upon fest and got a much needed service on their car :cool:

-J

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
IMHO the highlight of that fest was the family fleeing the hurricane (Katrina?) in their TDI, who stumbled upon fest and got a much needed service on their car :cool:

-J
I remember that. And the father and son who drove 150 miles from Iowa (partly on dirt roads), and got their TDI running better than it had in years, thanks to mrchill and others. Or the firefighter who was out bicycling, stumbled on the Fest, and got a Rocketchip tune and ventectomy. I think that was part of the fun: educating and helping out newbies. Maybe that should be a goal of the fest: to attract people who aren't club regulars.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I remember that. And the father and son who drove 150 miles from Iowa (partly on dirt roads), and got their TDI running better than it had in years, thanks to mrchill and others. Or the firefighter who was out bicycling, stumbled on the Fest, and got a Rocketchip tune and ventectomy. I think that was part of the fun: educating and helping out newbies. Maybe that should be a goal of the fest: to attract people who aren't club regulars.
That's a great goal Peter. I think you have to advertise heavily for that. Im not sure how much "free" advertising would be successful, but definitely worth a look.