"Torque" for android

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Are there any OEM specific codes that i can trigger handily on an ALH?
Not sure myself. I'm thinking more for the Lancer and the Civic, which enjoy throwing me random, short term CELs on an irregular basis.

Of course, with 100k and 140k respectively, I suppose they're entitled to their little quirks.:rolleyes:

alnmike

Veteran Member
TDI
I use REV on my iPhone. I got it to monitor boost and EGTs when towing. I was unhappy when I got it and found out that boost and coolant temp were the only two things that worked (that's not on my cluster already).

sjjaskow

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M
I was looking at some of these online. The real ones appear to support VWs, but they apparently have not tested one on a MK5 or MK6 yet. By supporting VWs, I mean to say that they claim that dealer specific codes are supported. The knockoffs basically all mimic the real listings while deftly avoiding mentioning which chipsets are used in the actual device, probably the ELM327. Stupid knockoffs.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Here is a link to the (i think) developer's website:
http://ian-hawkins.com/

He recommends OBD Key for the sender. Looks like a cool application. I can't wait until I'm eligible to upgrade my phone in July so I can get rid of this stupid Dare.

Any other cool car-related Android apps that people have used?

Last edited:

sjjaskow

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M
The developer of Torque is also marketing a program which uses GPS to determine your car's speed, which it converts to a reverse digital odometer that at night, when placed under your windshield, acts like a HUD. Battery hog though.

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
ELM 327 is just the chipset. There's a wide array of devices that use the same chips.

Try searching google for elm 327 bluetooth, and you'll have all too many to look at.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know the ELM 327 was a chipset. I was hoping for the same source you bought your BT from since it works. I did google "elm 327 bluetooth" with lots of hits.... from $50 to over $100. I didn't want to get something that didn't work or has issues. They seem to come from overseas and I'm hesitant to buy.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Pretty cool but, using the recommended interface, the cost is getting up near a ScanGauge II. It would be nice to check in on things like intake temps, timing, fueling, etc in a quick and convenient way. I'm about ready to trade my WM phone in for a Droid or Incredible, this makes it all the more attractive.

sjjaskow

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M
Just a confirm, this displays boost? Even at a slight delay this would be more cost efficient for a casual user than installing a boost gauge would be.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Just a confirm, this displays boost? Even at a slight delay this would be more cost efficient for a casual user than installing a boost gauge would be.
In my humblest of opinions, NOTHING is more cost effective than a real boost gauge ;)

sjjaskow

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M
Well that would be the eventual solution id like to pay back the bank for a little while longer before I get to wild. Even with protective/non cosmetic mods (plate and bra etc) I can quickly rack up the costs. But knowing more abot my engine for 10$ is pretty good if it gives me a boost with a slight transmission delay. Or I'm crazy. Who knows?

zuks90idi

Veteran Member
TDI
07 Dodge, 01 B5.5, 99.5 mk4 ALH, 04 Tourage
This is really cool, the cost as mentioned makes me wonder if just getting a scanguage is better, I mean having my phone display this info would rock. Swapping from my car to the wifes durango would be cake.

Still, i kinda want one.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
As long as it works using one of the $50 ELM 327 interfaces, cost wouldn't be too bad. The author of the software recommends one at $150. The small one pictured above seems to go for about $120 on eBay. Handy little adapter, cost is a big variable.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Does anyone know of a similar full featured app like this for iphone/itouch? I'd love to have low hassle way of knowing EGT and boost and coolant temps.

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Does anyone know of a similar full featured app like this for iphone/itouch? I'd love to have low hassle way of knowing EGT and boost and coolant temps.
Unless you installed a probe and then tied it into the ECU, this setup won't give you EGTs. It should give you boost and coolant temps though.

I put in a "best offer" for a BT ELM327 on eBay. Just waiting for a response...

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Actually I think the CR engines have EGT monitoring for the emissions equipment. Whether it is something accessible by this program or not, I do not know.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'd take it either way. I've looked at the Rev for the Apple products but it seems they haven't gotten a handle of the VW ODBII oditiys that rosstech seems to manage in their sleep.

alnmike

Veteran Member
TDI
On post 6, I explained that Rev for the Iphone does not display EGT. Displays boost and coolant temp though. As far as the EGT sensor, its probably located right before or after the DPF, too bad my phone cant see it ;/