anti shutter valve issue

jamesdio

TDI
2000 jetta
a few questions about the anti-shutter valve getting stuck. Can it cause prolonged starting when the vehicle has been sitting overnight? Is there a way too extend the life of the valve? i have heard of spaying in various lubs. Or is it best to replace it now? Does anyone know a fair price? i instictively question the dealers price? Thanks, jd

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Take it off and clean it! It gets stuck because of buildup around the butterfly plate. DO NOT try to clean it on the car.

If you absolutely insist on replacing it, it's about $175 from 1stvwparts.com

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Can it cause prolonged starting when the vehicle has been sitting overnight?

I don't think so. It should be all or nothing.

There is no way to clean out the inside from the outside and it is the inside that is a problem.

I had mine stick once about a month ago, it is on my list of things to do to clean it and my intake out, but I am in no hurry as if it sticks, I now know how to get it going.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
If the valve sticks shut, air does not get in. No air, no start. Turning the key to off between crank attempts will cause the valve to be operated if there is sufficient residual vacuum. This might unstick it allowing for the car to start on the next attempt.

Cleaning it now can save you some money until absolutely necessary to replace.