Pennzoil Synthetic 5w-40 VW505 rated oil:

davran

TDI
'05 Passat TDI Wagon
You may all already know this, but I came-across an oil that is VW 505.00 approved.

Pennzoil has a Synthetic 5W-40 that's fully VW 505 rated. I found it at my local Jiffylube, and was told all of them have it. The can has a yellow star on it saying "European Formula".

Tootles,

David

00sierra

TDI
03 Jetta, Platinum, 115K
Who knows some more about this oil? I am getting discouraged because I can't find Delvac 1 anywherer around here. I've bee to about 8 places. No luck.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
well, this issue just cam up yesterday and the oil kinda meets a TDI's needs.

Here's the spec sheet: pdf link

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
It says that it meets ACEA B3 and VW 505 so it should work. It's probably a similar formula to the Valvoline SynPower 5W-40 and the Quaker State Euro formula. These oils aren't the best for the TDI but they'll probably provide years of excellent service.

davran

TDI
'05 Passat TDI Wagon
I don't understand. If VW wants an oil used that's VW505, and this oil is VW505, why isn't it the best for TDI engines?

I don't know that much about oils, and would like to know what would be better.

Thanks,

David

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
I don't understand. If VW wants an oil used that's VW505, and this oil is VW505, why isn't it the best for TDI engines?
It could be the best, or it could be not the best (same goes for any other oil of the viscosity and ratings listed in the manual). Either way, it should be good enough for use in a TDI engine in typical service at the specified oil change intervals, since it meets at least one of the manual specifications.

troy_heagy

BANNED
[You can find Delvac1 locations at mobil.com]

HA I love it!

Volkswagen says, "Use VW 505.0 rated oil." (like Castrol and this new Pennzoil)
and the guys here say, "No! No! No! VW doesn't know what it's talking about. That oil's not good enough!"

No offense guys, but I think the VW engineers are most qualified to say, "VW505.0 oil is good." Although I prefer Delvac1 because it's easy to find and cheaper, I don't think anyone's going to kill their TDI if they use the VW505-rated Castrol or Pennzoil.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

I don't know that much about oils, and would like to know what would be better.
Group III (acceptable) versus Group IV (more than acceptable)

It's that simple.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Wow. 15 year revival that must be close to a record
That is amazing. The tip off should have been that the OP referred to the oil being sold in a can. :p

I did check Penzoil's Euro recent offering and it doesn't actually have a VW approval, just a recommendation by Penzoil as usable in the place of VW 502.00 and VW 505.00. The way they listed it was pretty crafty. The specifications, approvals and recommendations are in one list. The only actual approval listed is for MB.
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...m_Euro_SAE_5W-40_Full_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.pdf