2014 Audi A8 TDI Diesel Commercial: The Station [Video]

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Yep. Heard about this about a month ago from the Audi guys when checking on my Passat build and delivery.

The A6 and A8 both with the 3.0L V6 TDI with Quattro and probably no low end price offerings.

You can order them in 13 months and take delivery in 17 months.

algaediesel

TDI
mine = 2000 Jetta (500k+ kms), her's = 2003 Jetta Wagon
I hope tonnes of people lease them...maybe I'll pick one up coming off a lease. By the time this is possible, I may be old enough to be interested in an automatic transmissioned cruiser.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Maybe they'll offer the same engine in the cc now.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The largest diesel that fits in the Golf-based platforms is a 2.0L - and the CC (and NMS Passat) are Golf-based.

The smallest VW that would support the 3.0L V6 TDI (and it was never put in it), in current production, is the Passat Lingyu, which is a long wheelbase version of the B5.5 Passat still made in China. The B2 Santana also still made in China MIGHT fit it, but that's doubtful. For actual German VWs, it's the Phaeton, and for stuff sold in the US, it's the Touareg that already has it.

If you include Audi, the smallest that supports it is the A5. Now that'd be nice to see.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
If you include Audi, the smallest that supports it is the A5. Now that'd be nice to see.
The A5 coupe and sportback are the only Audis still available with a 3.0 TDI/6-speed manual combo. Now THAT wouldn't suck.

I like that there's even the 143hp base diesel for the A5 Sportback.

They don't even have a gasser with quattro and a MT other than the 2.0TFSI anymore, while there are two TDIs with quattro/MT:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Interesting to look at the price list and see that only the last TDI offering is refered to as a "clean diesel". I could see myself behind the wheel of the A-5 coupe but at 38 - 51K Euros, I don't think the wife would allow it.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The largest diesel that fits in the Golf-based platforms is a 2.0L - and the CC (and NMS Passat) are Golf-based.

The smallest VW that would support the 3.0L V6 TDI (and it was never put in it), in current production, is the Passat Lingyu, which is a long wheelbase version of the B5.5 Passat still made in China. The B2 Santana also still made in China MIGHT fit it, but that's doubtful. For actual German VWs, it's the Phaeton, and for stuff sold in the US, it's the Touareg that already has it.

I don't understand why it wouldn't fit when the top CC is offered with a 3.6l gasser. Is that not a larger engine than the 3.0l diesel? I suppose the engine compartment is layed differently but at least on paper it should work.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
The "clean diesel" has the urea-based SCR system and exceeded the future Euro6 emissions ratings. The "un-clean" diesels meet Euro5. There is no difference in taxation yet, so there is little incentive to go with the "clean diesel" version
If you look further up, the 177hp 2.0TDI is priced lower than the 2.0 TFSI gas engine. You can't directly convert European/US prices.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, I know there is no direct price comparison but a car that runs 51K Euro is still going to be too expensive for my garage. No matter how you convert the prices. Plus we will never get the TDI manual quattro over here. VW/Audi doesn't think that we're smart enough to drive it.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
I don't understand why it wouldn't fit when the top CC is offered with a 3.6l gasser. Is that not a larger engine than the 3.0l diesel? I suppose the engine compartment is layed differently but at least on paper it should work.
The 3.6 gasser is an ultra-narrow-angle (10.8°) VR6 and doesn't take much more room than a inline-4 engine.

The 3.0 diesel is a traditional 90-degree V6. It is too wide to fit into the Passat/CC.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok, I knew there were a lot smarter people on here than me.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The transverse cars use the VR layout, a much narrower engine than a V. It would take a lot of work to get a big V6 under the hood of the CC, and make an already nose-heavy car even worse. They'd have to detune it so much that you may as well just use a more powerful 4 cylinder that is already available.

The 3.6L VR6 gasser is much smaller than the 3.0L V6 TDI.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Having unnecessary knowledge does not make one smart. It just gives lots of opportunities to be that annoying smartass guy on internet forums.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
No, it isn't.

The 3.6 is a VR6 - which is an engine specifically designed to shove 6 cylinders in a space where a 4-cylinder goes. The V angle is 10.6 degrees on that engine.

The 3.0 TDI is a normal V6 - and a 90 degree one at that - which won't fit in a Golf or anything based on it, and still meet crash safety standards.

Edit: And I've clearly been beaten to it. Multitasking FTL. :D

scrubber

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Anybody catch a whiff of when the Q5 might be dressed with a TDI in the U.S.?
I thought that would be in the next batch of offerings from Audi.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Anybody catch a whiff of when the Q5 might be dressed with a TDI in the U.S.?
I thought that would be in the next batch of offerings from Audi.
They (Audi people) told us two years ago the Q5 was coming with a TDI under the hood, as well as a proper manual transmission option. So far, nothing has changed: A3 and Q7 only, automatic only, and the former is FWD only. :rolleyes:

So whatever 'whiff' you get, it probably is not going to be as good as it smells.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I would love an S5 with a turned up 2.0 TDI. I suppose I could settle for the V6 TDI though. ;)

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
I've stockpiled parts for my current cars. I'll drive them until the wheels fall off, rebuild them and repeat the process. I don't appreciate VWoA pushing the diesel as the "premium" product. I'm not going to put 75,000 miles per year on a $30,000 car. The Mark 3/4 diesels were fun econoboxes that were different. I liked that. Now, 42mpg in a diesel costs me twice as much as a entry level 40mpg gassers.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
The thing is, to meet US emissions, you're stuck paying a premium price, so you then get all the premium options so that it doesn't look like a ripoff.

The way I'd look at it is, it'll be a LONG time before it costs more than a car payment per month to keep a properly maintained ALH Mk4 with a manual on the road. Until THAT point, it's still cost effective.

oilhammer

TDI
I've stockpiled parts for my current cars. I'll drive them until the wheels fall off, rebuild them and repeat the process. I don't appreciate VWoA pushing the diesel as the "premium" product. I'm not going to put 75,000 miles per year on a $30,000 car. The Mark 3/4 diesels were fun econoboxes that were different. I liked that. Now, 42mpg in a diesel costs me twice as much as a entry level 40mpg gassers.
Agreed. The 'economy' part of owning a TDI exists in the older cars it seems. Newer ones, not so much. That said, my 8 year old Passat set me back almost $30k :eek:

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Great... I can save some money on fuel in my $85,000 economy car.
Ummm, in this case it is NOT about fuel MPG. It is about PERFORMANCE with good MPG. The torque on the 3.0L alone is worth it. Besides the maintenance of a diesel is far less than a gasser. The longevity as well of the engine is worth it too.

BTW, the A6 is about $55K and the A8 is the $85K car. Compared to Mercedes the A6 is FAR better loaded and the A8 absolutely a different class of vehicle. You will even be able to get the L version.

MarcusW

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf BlueMotion
Audi A8 TDI Review published in TDD

First Look: 2012 Audi A8 TDI – Review and Report

By Jonathan Spira
There are some associations you can’t shake. For me, one of them is the decision by then German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder to dispense with tradition and choose an Audi A8 for his official car (until that point, a Mercedes-Benz sedan had always served in this capacity). As a result, even …

The Audi A8 first appeared in Europe in 1994 as the successor to the Audi V8, although it did not make it to the U.S. until the 1997 model year. The current (third) generation A8 was unveiled in 2009 and went on sale in late 2010 as a 2011 model.

In European markets, the A8 comes with a choice of four diesel engines,...
<SNIP>
Read the full story »