New Polo confirmed for the USA, with TDI

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
VW has said in the past that it is committed to bringing diesel versions of all of the cars it sells here. However, I will believe it when I see it as well...

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'll believe it when I see it. So far, I haven't seen any indication from VW that they intend to bring it here... specifically, no Polos at the Auto Shows.

D_Bill

Veteran Member
TDI
old_v1 - 01 jetta / old_v2 02 golf / new 13 jsw-6sp
tdi polo ~ 70 mpg and I'd be ready . . .

William J Toensing

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Jetta "value edition" 4 door
At the LA Auto Show (Nov.2007) I saw the Polo TDI 3 cylinder diesel which they said got 70 MPG! It looked a little larger than the first generation gas/diesel Rabbits. I would really like that car if available with the 70 MPG diesel. Gas engine? Forget it! I have heard Ford's Fiesta which comes for the 2010 model year is supposed to get the diesel version for the USA in 2011. Hope the inflated prices for late model TDIs become more reasonable once a few more Jetta 2009 TDIs come on the market.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
dieselyeti said:
Doesn't the Polo have a 3 cylinder diesel?
You can get the current Polo with 70/80hp 1.4 3-cylinders and 105/130hp 1.9 4-cylinders, none of them CR.
Should change for the next Polo, when the 1.6 4-cylinder and very likely a smaller 3 or 4 is ready.

William J Toensing said:
At the LA Auto Show (Nov.2007) I saw the Polo TDI 3 cylinder diesel which they said got 70 MPG!
Which would be surprising, because they get low 60s in the European cycle. (3.8 l/100km in Bluemotion trim, more without)

It looked a little larger than the first generation gas/diesel Rabbits.
It's quite a lot larger, about the size of a Golf II. The next Polo will grow another 4" or so (Fabia and Ibiza are already on the new platform and have shown some growth)

conejo_a_cuatro said:
Uhhh, doesn't lupo==fox?
The Lupo was 3.5 m long, the Polo is about 3.9 m while the Fox is 3.8 m, but with a taller roof than the Polo... Polo and Fox are nearly exactly the same size, with a bit more spacious feeling in the Fox.
Lots of people loved the Lupo. I hardly see Foxes anywhere.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
If VW bases their future US offerings on current US sales of the 09 Jetta TDI, we're all going to be disappointed. The clean Jettas are building up on dealer lots at the rapid rate and don't appear to be moving anywhere. I can't link any hard numbers; simply going off the many I see at the local dealers. I have to think VW is taking a bath though and are none too pleased with current diesel sales.

rcracer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 MK7 GTI S 6MT, Previous: 2012 Golf DSG w/ Tech Pkg
Blue_Hen_TDI said:
I have to think VW is taking a bath though and are none too pleased with current diesel sales.
I am dreaming now:

Imagine a whole slew of 3L diesel VWs getting 60+ MPG in North America :eek:
sales would go crazy! IMHO

... waking up now :eek:

vwtodd

TDI
We'll get diesels

VW is committed to diesels in all models, plus, they will surely have a version that will "smoke" a Prius for marketing purposes.

Diesels: the new Polo will have a 1.6 tdi 4cyl in various outputs and the new Bluemotion will have a 1.2 3cyl that **MIGHT** hit close to 80mpg highway.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We all know what VW can do with a small diesel, but when will they actually do it. Nobody is impressed with a car than gets 38mpg on fuel that costs 60 cents more per gallon than gas. Bring the 80mpg model NOW and crush the Prius. Why is that so hard?

domboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
Blue_Hen_TDI said:
If VW bases their future US offerings on current US sales of the 09 Jetta TDI, we're all going to be disappointed. The clean Jettas are building up on dealer lots at the rapid rate and don't appear to be moving anywhere. I can't link any hard numbers; simply going off the many I see at the local dealers. I have to think VW is taking a bath though and are none too pleased with current diesel sales.
The hybrids aren't doing too well either at the moment. Heck, is ANY model doing well at the moment?? From what I've read sales of all cars have plummeted across the board... so I'm not surprised the TDI's aren't an exception...

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
domboy said:
The hybrids aren't doing too well either at the moment. Heck, is ANY model doing well at the moment?? From what I've read sales of all cars have plummeted across the board... so I'm not surprised the TDI's aren't an exception...
Well, the resident TDI Club dealer seller (Chris from Langhorne VW) recently posted that he has 37 TDIs on his lot and 20 at the port and he's offering under invoice to try to get them off the lot. I doubt you'll find many Toyota dealers with 37 unsold Priuses.

lbhskier37

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet (2008 soon)
Blue_Hen_TDI said:
Well, the resident TDI Club dealer seller (Chris from Langhorne VW) recently posted that he has 37 TDIs on his lot and 20 at the port and he's offering under invoice to try to get them off the lot. I doubt you'll find many Toyota dealers with 37 unsold Priuses.
Hear the news today? Toyota is now offering rebates on the Prius. Its not the diesel, its car sales in general.

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
Blue_Hen_TDI said:
We all know what VW can do with a small diesel, but when will they actually do it. Nobody is impressed with a car than gets 38mpg on fuel that costs 60 cents more per gallon than gas. Bring the 80mpg model NOW and crush the Prius. Why is that so hard?
It is quite possible once this car gets to the U.S. with the U.S. style emissions and safety hardware, it will look surprisingly familiar to many veteran TDIers. It will feature a 1.9L TDI, be about 2900 lbs., two-door hatch, and get...say... 42 city and 49 hwy. WOW! Where can I get me one of them! :rolleyes:

I think VW is trying to foster the thinking that TDIs are REAL CAR alternatives to hybrids. They need to handle well, be comfortable and well equipped, track straight and true on the highway, and accelerate faster than their hybrid counterparts. 0-60 in 12+ seconds will not make the grade.

chewy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Blue_Hen_TDI said:
Well all cars are selling poorly at the moment. What matters to VW is the rate of Jetta TDIs sold to regular Jettas. The Jetta is VWs best selling car, so if its diesels sales suck, it would be hard for them to do a diesel for the Polo which will not have the robust (for a VW) sales of the Jetta.

And the only TDI good for 50 state US duty is the 2.0 CR. Any other TDI is $$$.

rcracer

Veteran Member
TDI
chewy said:
Well all cars are selling poorly at the moment. What matters to VW is the rate of Jetta TDIs sold to regular Jettas. The Jetta is VWs best selling car, so if its diesels sales suck, it would be hard for them to do a diesel for the Polo which will not have the robust (for a VW) sales of the Jetta.
when one considers the huge MPG between the current MY Jetta, and the Polo with getting close to 80 MPG, one could imagine that this becomes an incongruous comparison ... :eek:

IMO, something seems "fishy" behind the reasons we have no 80 MPG VWs here in North America ...

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
rcracer said:
IMO, something seems "fishy" behind the reasons we have no 80 MPG VWs here in North America ...
it's mostly to do with the crash and emissions testing that the EPA puts all cars sold in America through. Both are very costly, and if you also consider the fluctuation of the Euro vs. the American dollar, it starts make a big difference.

I also imagine that VW still isn't sure about Diesel in the USA - This club may be filled with people who buy into the technology (and the drawbacks) but the bulk of the public are still ignorant to what these cars offer.

rcracer

Veteran Member
TDI
yatzee said:
... the bulk of the public are still ignorant to what these cars offer.
intentionally :confused: ................................... thanks lobbyists! :eek:

would be nice to have an 60+ mpg veedub :D

chewy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
rcracer said:
when one considers the huge MPG between the current MY Jetta, and the Polo with getting close to 80 MPG, one could imagine that this becomes an incongruous comparison ... :eek:

80 mpg from the EPA. Unpossible for any VW TDI. First, the figures you see coming out of Europe are somewhat inflated. VW adds some tweaks for the Bleumotion models that give them good ratings, most tests show that the Polo Bluemotion isn't all that much better than the regular Polo in real driving.

Second, the EPA test gives lower numbers than the European test for all cars, and it doesn't like diesels all that much either.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
My thinking is that all the emission controls needed to pass the CARB thresholds raise the manufacturing costs to the point that a diesel couldn't realistically be offered in a budget-priced car...

Yuri.