Who has mega miles on a TDI

AndyH

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'97 Passat Wagon 410K RIP
'97 Passat variant with 313,000 miles.
Throwout bearing's a little noisy, as is the alternator. It's had sensors and relays, brakes, struts, and axles, but the original engine and transmission are doing just fine.

My dad, retired from GM, just shook his head when I sold my '96 Passat TDI sedan with 150,000 miles on it to buy the Variant with nearly 300,000.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Wow.. I guess my TDI is just broken in@ 143,000 miles!..

I have to defend some of the American cars a little bit here... I have an F150(I6 Gasser) with 430k miles.. I retired my old cavalier with 460k (TDI replaced this one), lost a 96 Silverado in a flood back in april with 274k(truck was mint).. Mom's 95 Tahoe has around 180k.. So far, EVERY vehicle I've owned so far has made it well past 250k without too many major problems other than stuff that's my own fault.. Regular maintenance makes a BIG difference.

Also, our vehicles usually get recycled from one family member to another, so they usually have an ungodly amout of miles when they're finally ready for the scrap yard.

My TDI still has a lot of miles to go to catch up to the rest of them... I have faith in my TDI though.. From what I've read here, I should be able to get at least 400k.. Looks like I'll have this car for a while

Pevey

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, Tornado Red
Jetta99, I agree with you, some US cars like trucks and high end cars can rack up the miles. I really depends on how you value them and take care of them. We tend to look at US cars as disposable after 100-150k and treat them as such. A friend has 150k on a Focas and commutes daily 120 miles.
The thing that blows my mind is how good my 5 year old 150k jetta feels, how strong it pulls, how smooth the engine is even at idle, how straight it tracks on the road, how well the interior look and has held up, scratches but no rattles, how nice the paint is and how fun it is to own and drive it.

We didnt have computers back then but if we had, I don't think I would have spent this much time on a Vega or Omni forum.

Leseid

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Toureg TDI
I'd love to buy from Detroit if they made what I want/need. They don't so I go to Auburn Hills

I'm thrilled that we have two Golf TDI's (both '03s) and have a new one on order.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
We didnt have computers back then but if we had, I don't think I would have spent this much time on a Vega or Omni forum.
Ha! When I was a kid my Dad's electronic's repair business had a pair of Vega "nomad" wagons. Both of which had holes in their blocks inside of 18 months....GM's warranty then was 12 months
.. I remember using them as a jungle-gym behind his shop!
All the while him and his partner continued their mobile TV repair service in their trusty Volkswagens; a '65 Beetle and a '68 Squareback. Some hoosier ended up buying them and doing what hoosiers do best....put a Chevy small-block in it!

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
Great pic of you and your daughter washing her "car", loved it. It was so cute and, she will remember that you have to take care of your car.

elitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GL Wheat Beige
04 Jetta with 42,430 miles so far. I'm hoping that this will become the first car I actually pay off and keep. I've had a car payment continuously since March of 1988. Always trading them with more miles than average, and always up-side-down in the financing. I'll post in 2009 if the Jetta makes it! I figure I'll have around 160,000 miles on it by then. Should be a piece of cake after reading this thread.

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls tdi,91 2dr jetta gl n/a diesel
my 2000 jetta just turned 262,000 last week,gets roughly 1000 a week.uses about a quart of oil every 7000,still has original clutch.

Wook660

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Red Jetta GL TDI 5 speed
1986 Ford Crown Victoria completely original with no rebuilds -> 230,000 miles, still running strong. Can't kill the 302 v8, which is gonna be a good doner for my 1994 Ford Ranger, 180,000 all original, still running strong. My 2002 Jetta TDI has only 70,000 miles, hope it proves as reliable, I'm a Ford guy, but these VW's are starting to grow on me.

Cosmic Green

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta wagon
99.5 Jetta, 462,000km (286,000mi.)
Original clutch, turbo, front end (except for struts and wheel bearings); chip installed at 280,000km., driven with "enthusiasm" every day, uses no oil between changes, starts in -30C temps., best car I've owned, period. Also my first VW, so I had no previous bias.
Had to change manual tranny recently (worn bearings), which was my fault as I never once changed the fluid in it.
The most commendable thing about the car isn't the longevity so far (I've driven many cars to high mileage), but the fact that after 6 1/2 years and all those miles the car stills feels solid and is rattle-free. That's what's different about this car!

CG

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
my 2000 jetta just turned 262,000 last week,gets roughly 1000 a week.uses about a quart of oil every 7000,still has original clutch.
Off topic -- I lose about 1 quart of oil between 10,000 mile oil changes. Just about 2000 miles ago I installed a ProVent CCV filter, and it's catching more oil than I expected. That's a really good thing, because I now know the oil isn't bypassing the piston rings, I'm just losing it through the CCV and into the intake. My plan is to siphon the oil out of the CCV filter and put it back in the engine, then check how much the oil drops over the current 10k mile oil change. Any drop would then be oil lost due to bypassing rings and leaking elsewhere.

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls tdi,91 2dr jetta gl n/a diesel
when i bought mine the guy said it used about a quart every 2-3000 miles,after i got it and changed the t-belt i noticed a pool of oil inside the fitting on the intake that the ccv hose hooks to,and the j hose had a nice film of oil in it.so i made a ccv filter,and i have some oil in the bottom of it too and was thinking along the same lines,but i don't think i will be putting it back in the engine come oil change time i'll just measure it and see how much is there.since then my j hose has been dry as a bone so there is a lot of oil that works its way thru the system thru time.

CADTDi

Veteran Member
My 2001 Jetta has 169,000 miles and running strong!

DBW did my 1st TB, Oilhammer did my last...keeping it all in the 'family'!

So far, not much more than normal maintenance.

Man, I love this car!

MetallicaTDI

TDI
Jetta 00' Black
I have always taken good care of my cars and my 00 Jetta is no exception. I didnt start doing any modifications on it until about a year ago I decided I was in the car for as long as it ran. My family goes through cars like we go through toilet paper. My 22 year old sister is on her 5th car. My dad is on the 5th car I can remember, my mom has had 5 that I can remember. This is my 2nd and I hope lasts me into my 30s (I am 20), the ONLY things I have had go wrong has been 1 MAF that was covered under warranty and the alternator, also under warranty! I am at about 62k and I know by comparison my car is still a toddler. Only thing wrong with it is a warn down wheel well that is maybe $50 (from what I was told) and it needs a new paint job. I am just deciding if I want to get the GLI body kit on it before I have it repainted

grelli

TDI
Tornado Red 2005 Golf GLS TDI
Well, my golf has got a little over 6000km on her now, not much compared to some around here, but she's been with me less than 2 months.

Not mega-miles just yet, but at this rate she'll have a pretty respectable life.

SLPRTDI

TDI
Jetta 99.5 Met Green
246,000 miles and only basic service items. Been chipped for almost 200,000 miles all orig parts including turbo.
And I drive this car like I stole it!!!

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
Jetta99, I agree with you, some US cars like trucks and high end cars can rack up the miles. I really depends on how you value them and take care of them. We tend to look at US cars as disposable after 100-150k and treat them as such.
kinda off topic. But in Georgia if you car is in a wreck and you want the insurance company to pay for diminshed value they follow a formula. And if you car is over 100k miles it's ZERO. You could have a 2004 BMW with 101k miles and if its in a wreck they will attempt to say your car is worn out and the wreck has cause no additionl loss to the value of your car. You can argue and get a lawyer.

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
Insurance companies are the biggest rip off of the American consumer. Ralf Nader said something close to that. When You get an ultra conservative like I to quote Ralf Nader you should know you have stepped off the deep end with no return in sight.

Back to the TDI. I plan to give mine to my grandson. He has'nt been born yet.

SilverBullit

TDI
2000 Golf GL Satin Silver
2000 Golf GL 150K+ worry free miles
I like claiming to be the guy who discovered the rear brake pad issue that turned into a TSB. Bought the car 11/99 at exactly 20K in 2/00 locked the calipers in the back. ditto in 4/00 at exactly 40K. Still have the 4/00 replacement rear mintex pads on it, replaced the stock fronts with mintex at 85K. Second clutch as I tended to abuse the first racing Corvettes. Finally replaced the exhaust at 150684 miles had a small hole rusted through figured it was a good time to upgrade.

goosegunner

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Reflex silver, 2006, DSG, white
At least the insurance companies keep lowering my insurance as my house and vehicles age. Yeah right.

gg

PetethePilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 GLS Jetta Bright Green
220,000km / 137,000mi Y2K Jetta TDI,
Still original front pads about 1/2 worn.
Do oil changes like clock work every 20,000km/12,000mi With the Delvac or better oil.
Big pp520 tips, 11 pump, Pierburg MB maf, Vag comm'd egr,
Shot gunned ccv, Tbox, 160,000 km belt.
Runs like a dream, I'm keeping this one until the type 6's come out and then I'll buy one of them. Hopefully they'll get us poor north Americans 4 motion by then.

FoundDriver

TDI
Jetta 2000 Blue, Passat 2001 Gray, Jetta Wagon 2003 Red, Touareg 2004 Black
Have a 2000 Jetta with 313k+ miles. On its third turbo- first one my fault, I left it idling for 30 minutes plus throughout the day as I made deliveries not knowing that this was a no-no. Fortunately turbo burned out at 98k, replaced under warrantee. At 133k or so had loss of power (like not having turbo) dealer put in new turbo, mechanic comes back from test drive an says "well that didn't fix the problem" (He didn't know that I heard him) proceeds to put in new MAF $400+ (before I knew about the gasser MAF) that does fix the problem. Service department claims turbo was part of the problem because mechanic hand spun it and it "felt" different... Brake booster went out- dealer could not fix after 3 appointments, took to local mechanic who replaced booster. Various glow plug issues per check engine light that comes on every 20-30k like friggin clockwork. I put a piece of tape over it. 92k new ac compressor. New tie rod ends, water pump, strut assemb., new front door lock switch, new trunk latch.

Car is solid (front door is getting a little worn out from all the opening and closing) , clutch original. Drives good/strong, motor feels like it is finally getting broken in, getting a little stubborn going through the gears though. It takes a little extra push to get into gears and to get out of gears. Dealer says it may need new bushings?? Does that sound right? Curious...

My 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon has 135k+ miles. Alternator pulley froze up at 120k. On second clutch because I have an employee who rides the clutch like a mutha. Told her she was gonna destroy the clutch if she kept on riding it like that and guess what... $1200 later. She uses the clutch to keep in place on inclines/declines while waiting for the light to change to green. She navigates in 1st gear varying her speed not with throttle but with clutch. Example- she keeps rpms constant while leaving parking space and moving around to get out of parking lot but controls her speed by slightly adjusting clutch around its engage/disengage point. amazing! OUCH!

If you ever want to hear a funny story I'll tell you about the Touareg TDI I bought and owned for 3 days until I totaled it. It would do 130 like it was nothing (stopping it took a little more effort). I totaled it in a parking lot! long story.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
O.K., I'll bite. What happened? Obviously it doesn't belong in the 'mega miles' thread if it was crunched on Day 3, but there's a nice Touareg forum where you can make other Touareg owners cringe over what you did to yours!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
My 2000 Jetta TDI is pushing 164k here in early November, 2005.

Its time for its second TB change. The WP will be changed for the first time.

Broken glove box hinge (typical). One day I will do a JB Weld job to repair.

Ready for the front brake pads (and second time for rear pads).

Two glow plugs changed out (yes 2, not two sets).

Replaced blown brake lights and two head lights.

I guess that's about it......... on, over 50 mpg running average..... not bad!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My '02 with 'only' 101K on it is as tight as new. The only noise I hear is an occasional creak from the Shine rear bar (gotta grease that thing). I drove it 300 miles yesterday, a lot of it at between 80 and 90. Tracks beautifully, quiet, quick (with RC3) and gets 46 MPG. Rides like a BMW with the Koni Reds.

Original everything except filters, fluids, tires, glow plugs, sway bar bushings and TB. Yes, including MAF, brakes, clutch (even chipped for 70K).

I usually trade cars at around 100K because I get tired of them. Not this one. I still love it. The only problem is keeping myself from making more mods.

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
Well, since getting this car in Sept 04, I've brought it up to 63,000 from 35,000 miles.

Coming up on an oil change in about 800 miles...

Such low miles, but at 500 miles during a slow week, this car is definitley racking up the miles. Just to and from school and work, it gets plenty of work!

pogo

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf/02/5spd 230K Passat SE/12/DSG 50K
02 Golf w/ 94K mi. Injection pump fixed promptly by dealer for free at 20K. Did all other maintenance myself, except for TB (thanks, Herm). Keep meaning to re-instate my AAA membership, but the urgency just isn't there.

FoundDriver said:
... On its third turbo- first one my fault, I left it idling for 30 minutes plus throughout the day as I made deliveries not knowing that this was a no-no. ...

Off topic. I read in the owner's manual (yes, I have no life, I read the owner's manual) that not idling your engine after running hard was bad for the turbo. Idling too long is bad as well?