I never thought I'd do it, but here goes... 2005 Passat TDI GLS Wagon FS!

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M White
I never thought I'd do it, but here goes... 2005 Passat TDI GLS Wagon FS! - MN

As the post says... I never thought I'd part with a member of the family, but the time has come. My beautiful bride wants power sliding doors and a rear DVD player for the kids.

So I've been trying to hold out until a minivan that is worthwhile comes available (something with a TDI or...?)

So on to the Passat!

I bought it new at West Side VW in St. Louis Park, MN and it has been serviced there every 5000 miles.

The steel glow plugs are in...

The Balance Shaft has been replaced with gears...

It's got new Bridgestone tires and the 5-spoke GLX rims (the best looking wheels out there on a B5.5 IMHO)

Tinted Windows

It's a GLS - so it's got the sunroof, fog lights, heated seats, ESP, and a 12V power outlet in the rear cargo area!

It has the EURO Hitch on it with a 7-pin wiring harness for trailer towing! I did pull a pop-up camper with the VW for 2 summers and it does a fantastic job of towing. There also is Air-Lift airbags in the rear coils to keep the suspension level.

I have added a leather wrapped steering wheel and the leather wrapped shift knob - to make it that much more luxury!

It has 45K miles on it and has LOTS of life left in it. The reason for low miles, is we have 4 cars and 2 drivers. The VW is our "family" car that we use mostly on the weekends and for things like that.

I checked with KBB and it's got a private party value of $17,910. If I were to sell it for less I would be better off trading it in on a minivan due to the tax savings with doing a trade in.

If you want all the extra goodies that this car has I am going to price it at $18,500.

And for a few photos!!

I will get more photos (without the camper...) soon. It's too dark out now.

Thanks! :cool:

Located in Minneapolis, MN (added - this is the reason for the edit)

Last edited:

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Forgot to mention... when the BS mod was done - it also got a new timing belt, tensioners, water pump, etc... And that was done recently!

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I agree about the rims. Took me forever to find a set of the Vancouvers.

Good luck with the sale

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Nice car newguy. Thanks for answering my towing questions 3 years ago. All the best and come visit the club once in a while.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Sure is purdy! I keep kicking myself for not buying a wagon :(

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Sprocket said:
Sure is purdy! I keep kicking myself for not buying a wagon :(
You and me both. Next time we meet, we can take turns kicking each other. I'll go first. :D

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Oilhammer - no kidneys needed... but what is the open market value for a used one? LOL...

Thanks for the thumbs up guys.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I hope you get the $17k+. And if you turn down a low-ball offer at $16.5k give them my name. Mines already leather with "wood".

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
All the B5.5 TDI for North America were automatics, with a semi-manual "tiptronic" mode.
The O.P. added a leather wheel and shift knob, which would have been already installed as part of the leather seats package.

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
It is LeatherETTE So the shifter and steering wheel were plastic. I put the leather on them.

The Leatherette is much more durable than the real leather and still looks like new.

It's a 5-speed automatic - with the tiptronic shifter.

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
All these photos were taken quickly today with my iPhone. They are not that great of quality, and the car has not been cleaned or washed at all.

There are a few scuffs in the rear bumper and there is a scratch on the passenger front door. The scratch can be wet sanded or buffed out, I have not taken the time to do so yet.

Did I mention that the car comes with the Air-lift airbags and the EURO hitch? it does!

The wheels on the car in this photo are my winter snow tires and are NOT included with the car. The like new Bridgestone tires and the 5-spoke GLX wheels ARE included with the car. If you want the snow tires and rims - they can be sold with the car if desired.

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
tdidieselbobny said:
Where's RC? This is his color.....
Had it beige interior, it'd likely be in our stable in a few days. This is just the kind of deal that could get me to part with one of our wagons.

Some lucky soul's gonna get one fine variant. Wish it could be me.

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
If I trade this car in - and buy a minivan, then the delta between the trade value and the purchase price of the new van is NOT taxable.

for example if I trade a $10K car in on a $25K car, I only pay MN sales tax on the $15K... not the $25K.

Given the value of this Passat, that is over a $1000 tax savings on the new van I am going to buy.

Really just being honest - I'm not excited about letting this car go - it's been totally maintained well, and when the BS chainectomy was done I paid a lot extra to get everything else dealt with...

- Timing belt
- water pump
- tensioners
- coolant change
- oil change
- new tires

the list goes on... This car does not have any deferred maintenance. It has a few scuffs on the rear bumper and a scratch on the passenger front door.. (thanks kids...)

So it needs to be washed and polished - but when it's been well below zero here and I've been busy...

It will be a great car for the new owner.

Hokie99

TDI
WTB
that's a pretty nice benefit from the state of MN.

It's too bad the dealers don't use KBB...even the nada price for the consumer trade-in is iffy (13,250)... If you want to know the real price you'll most likely need a friendly dealer or maybe even a credit union to let you look at the black book which has the weekly wholesale auction prices.

I'm subscribed..this sounds like a nice ride... and it would be much nicer to go to a board member than a stealer.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Now I've got word the deposit is on the way....

thanks everyone for the kind words.

Now please pray for me that I find a GREAT minivan for the wife! (and that it doesn't have balance shaft issues...LOL)

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm thinking of a 2007 Hyundai Entourage Limited...

there are plenty out there that still have factory warranty and they are priced right...

They are well laid out on the interior and have good performance.

the bad is that they are a two year only model, but they are a clone to the Kia Sedona, which is still a current model. The Hyundai is a little nicer than the Kia.

oilhammer

TDI
The Entourage/Sedona is a very nice vehicle. My only 'beef' with them is they have pretty bad fuel economy, possibly because they are so heavy, and they stick too many fluffy features that like to break years down the road in them. HMC tends to often use their price advantage to sell a vehicle with more crap for an equal price to a lesser-trimmed competitor, rather than sell a less expensive vehicle. But that is what most people want, so... :confused:

kafer65

Veteran Member
TDI
Early '06 Jetta 5M
We bought a used '04 Sienna, after our 99 was totalled, and I love the way it drives. Gets about 21mpg which isn't half bad for a RUG burner of its size. I dream of a six speed TDI conversion often though. Oh, if you find one make SURE both sunroof drains are not stopped up. Think overhead swimming pool waterfall:eek:.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
I absolutely hate our 05 Sienna. I'm six feet tall and can't lower the seat enough that I'm not looking at the visor; and the driver seat feels like a cheap Walmart chair.

The engine doesn't have enough power to hold speed on a hill in cruise control without down shifting and it will only get it's rated 26mpg on the highway at 55 mph. Real world highway driving is about 21 mpg.

The good news is that maintenance wise it hasn't cost us any money except for brakes, tires and oil.

With that said, if I had to give up my Passat and drive the Sienna every day, you'd be reading about me in the papers after I went postal.:eek:

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, the Sienna's headroom leaves something to be desired. Makes the Vanagon seem like a gymnasium on wheels. :)

But at least you still got the good engine. IIRC the VVT 3MZ-FE makes around 220hp, plenty for any minivan, IMHO.

But even with plenty of power, in typical automatic trans fashion they feel the need to drop a gear on the hills. One more reason I hate automatics. We get spoiled with our TDIs that not only make mountains of torque at a relatively low RPM, but are bolted to a transmission that knows how to stay in the higher gear to make use of it.

My Toyota pickup cannot do 70 evenly up this one hill on I-44. It downshifts to 3rd, blasts past 70, then upshifts to 4th and starts to slow down, then around 65 it downshifts again... it plays this little dance all the way up the hill. If I want to just hold 70, I have to turn OD off manually. But what is stupid is that same truck with a proper manual you can easily leave in 5th gear and it will pull the hill just fine.

FWIW, your Sienna probably has newer software that will improve some shift points. If it has never had its software updated, it needs it. Moot point though, as they are all going to be recalled anyways, and that will include the updated software at some point.

Last edited: