Turbo Diesel Truck in PD

Zoyx

TDI
2005 Jetta
I just put Mobil One Turbo Diesel Truck into my PD TDI. How long before my engine blow up?

The TDI FAQ needs to be updated about the VW505.01 standard. I went by the FAQ and only looked at API when buying the oil.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Zoyx said:
The TDI FAQ needs to be updated about the VW505.01 standard. I went by the FAQ and only looked at API when buying the oil.

Does API address diesel autos anywhere :confused: I'd never noticed that.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
dieseldorf said:
Does API address diesel autos anywhere :confused: I'd never noticed that.
VW does. API CF-4 5w40 or better is usable in VE motors. 'Tis in the owners manual and has not been superseded or recended that I know of.:cool:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bob_Fout said:
VW does. API CF-4 5w40 or better is usable in VE motors. 'Tis in the owners manual and has not been superseded or recended that I know of.:cool:
Well, Bob, since you didn't take time to read the opening post, OP says he has a PD engine. Furthermore, there hasn't been one single API oil approved for any VW for nearly 5 years. Do you know otherwise :confused:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
dieseldorf said:
Well, Bob, since you didn't take time to read the opening post, OP says he has a PD engine. Furthermore, there hasn't been one single API oil approved for any VW for nearly 5 years. Do you know otherwise :confused:
Your statment didn't qualify which motor. Yours was a general statment.

Let me know when VW said using an oil meeting API CF-4 isn't okay in a VE.

Rotella T 5w40 and Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 both meet CF-4.

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=rotella-en&FC2=/rotella-en/html/iwgen/products/zzz_lhn.html&FC3=/rotella-en/html/iwgen/products/product_rotellasynth.html
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.aspx

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bob, stay on topic, OP and his post address PD cars, not the earlier cars.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
OK. To the OP...

Mobil 1 TDT will void the warranty in a PD. Will it cause the motor to fail? Not right away, and we don't know yet if it will ever fail with TDT. There a few adventurous folks who are using TDT in PDs.

Safe bet, use a 505.01 oil and motor on.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Zoyz, forum brother "GMARK" has the definitive thread on M1 Turbodiesel Truck in a PD car. It's an on-going experiment. Nobody can answer your question with certainty concerning engine longevity. However, folks can share with you that your engine warranty will be voided should you have lube oil related failure and are still covered by factory warranty. There's no wiggle room there.

Enjoy!

Zoyx

TDI
2005 Jetta
Thanks for the posts. I swapped in the legal stuff. I only did about 15 miles with the TDT. The way the manual is written... using any other oil than 505.01 equals instant DOOOM! Probably just FUD.

I bought this car used with 27.5 k miles on it. I would be willing to bet the previous owner only put in generic synthetic, and didn't pay attention to the spec.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
Zoyx, you may be right about the previous owner, and while the TDT oil is very fine stuff (I use it in both my TDI - not a PD, an earlier model - and my Jeep CRD) it's probably good you stick to the "legal" stuff anyway, just in case it turns out to really make a major difference in the long haul. The problem here is, of course, we're not likely going to really know until it is way too late for a lot of folks.

Zoyx

TDI
2005 Jetta
dieseldorf said:
Zoyx, forum brother "GMARK" has the definitive thread on M1 Turbodiesel Truck in a PD car. It's an on-going experiment.
I found the delvac thread, not the TDT one. I will heed the advice about staying legal until the warranty is up. Then I might start experimenting. I am sure there will be new oils to try by then.

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Zoyx said:
The way the manual is written... using any other oil than 505.01 equals instant DOOOM! Probably just FUD.
Well, there is a thread around here that talks and shows pics of Dooom, but not quite instant dooom. Also one on one of the UK sites also. Just enough tease to really worry one.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Zoyx said:
I found the delvac thread, not the TDT one.
TDT _IS_ Delvac-1...

I agree that the FAQ should be updated - if only slightly to reflect the existence of PD engines and their oil requirements.

(I offered to help with the project about a year or so ago, but heard nothing in return...)

Yuri.

GMARK

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL Reflex Silver 5 speed. Ventectomy, coolant migration mod, Hella Comets, FK air ducts.
dieseldorf said:
Zoyz, forum brother "GMARK" has the definitive thread on M1 Turbodiesel Truck in a PD car. It's an on-going experiment. Nobody can answer your question with certainty concerning engine longevity. However, folks can share with you that your engine warranty will be voided should you have lube oil related failure and are still covered by factory warranty. There's no wiggle room there.

Enjoy!
Indeed. While I have had positive results (thus far) I don't recommend using anything other than a 505.01/506.01/507.00 oil in your car. My "experiment" is not scientific and proves absolutely nothing.
Just ask my critics. ;)
All I can report is that 60k of operation on D1 hasn't destroyed my engine. BTW, for those who are curious, I removed the cam cover last week for a look and everything is fine. Just as expected.
Sorry to disappoint. :D

G

XLR8R

TDI
2001 Jetta 5 speed
I just put M1 TDT oil in my '01 Jetta. I could have sworn it said 505.01 compliant on the back label. I'll check and report later. I didn't realize there was a difference in the oil requirements between VE and PD. Aren't the engines themselves the same, just with a different injection system?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
XLR8R said:
...I didn't realize there was a difference in the oil requirements between VE and PD. Aren't the engines themselves the same, just with a different injection system?
big difference in the camshaft. The PD unit injectors are also cam driven. This means the cam surface area for the valve lifters is decreased. This created the need for a more robust oil spec.

XLR8R

TDI
2001 Jetta 5 speed
My bad, on the oil rating. I just looked at the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck oil, no VW rating at all, but it is rated CI-4Plus??? Haven't heard of that one before. I will be trying the Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro blend next time.

TDITom,
Thanks for the education on the PD. :)

61scout80

TDI
03 jetta
ymz said:
TDT _IS_ Delvac-1...
correct:

Question: Comparing Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 to Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40. How does the new Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 oil compare to Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40? Which is better for my 2003 Ford F-350 Powerstroke diesel? -- Greg Braden, Rockford, MI

Answer: Either brand is a great choice since Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 and Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 are the same product branded differently for different markets.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Comparing_Delvac1_TurboDiesel.aspx

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
XLR8R said:
My bad, on the oil rating. I just looked at the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck oil, no VW rating at all, but it is rated CI-4Plus??? Haven't heard of that one before. I will be trying the Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro blend next time.
The Mobil 1 TDT 5w40 (aka Delvac 1) may be the very best API-rated oil for your 2001 TDI. It has a stronger additive package than the M1 0w40, and of course has a lower percentage of VM (viscosity modifiers). For the normal 10k-mile oil change interval, the 5w40 will provide a greater cushion of safety.

OTOH, for TDI owners who can't easily find Mobil Delvac or Mobil TDT, the 0w40 will work okay for a 10k-mile OCI.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Or grab Rotella T 5w40, that Valvoline 5w40 that meets the correct API specs, Castrol Syntec 5w40, also Chevron Delo 5w40 (I've never seen the 5w40 though, just the dino 15w40)

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
XLR8R said:
I will be trying the Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro blend next time.

TDITom,
Thanks for the education on the PD. :)
Nope - try again - it meets VW505.00 - not VW505.01 . You'll have to buy oil at either the VW/ Audi dealers or online. In short, VW505.00 is NOT the same as VW505.01 - although for older TDI's that specify VW505.00, VW505.01 can be used - just not the other direction.

Edit - scratch my previous - I looked at your date of joining and assumed a PD-TDI - For the 1998 - 2003 TDI's the M1 0w40 (that meets VW505.00) is fine.

Last edited: