Replacement switchblade key for 2001 Beetle

wizeman70

TDI
2001 Beetle
I recently purchased a 2001 Beetle and it only came with one key/transmitter. I really hate dropping $250 at a dealership to get a spare. The guy I bought it from suggested buying a blank from ebay and then having it cut and programmed at a dealer. Can anyone vouch for an aftermarket switchblade style key/transmitter provider? I've seen a few, but would like to hear from someone who has actually done this.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
eBay quality is very sketchy. I got some eBay brass blanks machined at a locksmith, and they still needed sanding and tweeking so they would fit the lock. Most dealers are reluctant to program anything they didn't sell you as well. If I were to do it again, I'd fork the funds over and take it.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
You can order cut keys with your VIN at worldimpex, 1stvwparts, etc.

They are about $60 for the switchblade type, and the "valet" style is cheaper.

Once you have the key, you can match it and your existing key to the immobilizer with VCDS once you have the PIN, which you can get with something like vag-tacho.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Most dealers don't want to cut someone else's key because the cutting head for the tool is rather pricey (came from VW, and they are really really proud of any tool they sell to a dealer, so go figure), and they do not want to have to replace it because they tried to cut what turns out to be a steel blank from ebay.