2005 MkV Jetta No crank no start

Schlepper

TDI
2005 Jetta MkV/A5 TDI
I have posted on here multiple times the problem I had with 'no crank, no start' issues with my MkV Jetta TDI, manufactured in May of 2005. The symptoms, beyond 'no crank, no start' were visible on the instrument cluster with no glow plug light, no 'check engine' light, etc.; the lights visible were ABS, airbag, DRL, etc..
I did not want to spend $275-400 on a book or CD that I needed maybe 1 or 2 pages to sort out my problem. Finally I found a website with the 2005-2007 Jetta fuse and relays mapped out, with notation where there were changes by date of manufacture.
Today, after almost 2 years of my car sitting, unable to even crank much less start, I was able to go thru, step by step, every fuse, every relay and insure the right size fuse was in the proper position, etc.
The car started today and ran well, after 2 years sitting idle... when I got the car back from my son, who had driven it since we bought it new in 2005, it had all kinds of electrical issues from a fender bender, etc.. I had no resources to figure it out.... unless I wanted to shell out $.... things as simple as a fuse diagram, or a listing of relays and their purpose based upon my vehicles manufacture date seemed impossible to find... something so seemingly simple...
My car was made in May 2005.... a particularly unique period and if you are having the same struggle as I had, please let me know and I can send you the Excel file I created that has all of the fuse and relay functions listed... it saved my vehicle from the junkyard.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
Glad you got it sorted, I don’t know why but some of these cars use different fuse panels that are impossible to find diagrams for. I know of at least 3 different ones and the one that my car had didn’t match the owners manual or the Bentley. Congrats on finally getting it worked out, must feel great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schlepper

TDI
2005 Jetta MkV/A5 TDI
thanks Kdawg, I had gotten completely frustrated with many things; the owners manual, a nearly worthless ream of glossy paper in the glove compartment, that has very little of value in it to actually aid one having an electrical problem with the fuses, and on the Internet, which is rife with MkIV Jetta (and older) electrical schematics, or Golfs or 2006 Jettas with the 'Low' electrical circuitry; but virtually none like mine, a May of 2005 produced vehicle, and they are the 'High' electrical circuitry. As previously referenced, the engine compartment fuse/relay box is different and many fuse locations are for a whole host of different things from May of 2005 to even November of 2005... amazing.
Now this morning, the battery is dead, which was the original problem, finding the battery drain.... so the quest goes on, but at least I have the fuse and relays sorted out so that it will start and I can drive it once this Quarantine lifts.

TdiTaff

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Golf TDi 5Speed
Did you charge the battery with an external (high current/quality) charger?
I ask because if the battery was flat and you just 'bump' started it the alternator is not designed to charge a dead battery so it won't be fully charged which may lead you to think there's a parasitic drain...

Schlepper

TDI
2005 Jetta MkV/A5 TDI
The next morning, it was flat dead; not enough juice to even have dim lights when I opened the doors. I have codes firing on the glow plugs (P0673) and am trying to track down what the problem is now with that. The glow plugs themselves all will get brilliantly hot when I applied battery power to them outside of the car. They all got the same Ohms (about .09) while in the car so I am going to clean them up, clean the tips of the wire harness and put them back in and see if that clears it. My glow plug harness wire has completely shed the thick black rubber envelope that they sat in.... I'll have to get a new harness but want to be sure I don't need other parts before ordering that.

The battery has been on trickle charge for 24 hours now and is showing 12.39 volts on the Multimeter.