Need some AC help....

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
.....I suddenly heard a loud 'whirring' sound under the hood today. I panicked, and though: Uh oh. 'It's the timing belt' I stopped and checked the belt, and it seemed fine. The AC stopped working. I hear the noise again under hard acceleration from a dead stop. Does this sound like my compressor crapped out, or is there something else going on? I know *nothing* about the AC in these cars. Any advice would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks!

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
...Looks like my AC clutch is flagging in the wind. Is this an easy fix?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Can you give a more technical description?
It is easy to replace the clutch coil, and plate, harder to replace the pulley and bearing, but still not bad at all.

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
The clutch plate is the part on the very front that is held on to the compressor shaft by a 14mm nut. you're saying that part spins freely like the grooves that hold it on the compressor shaft are gone?

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
The clutch plate is the part on the very front that is held on to the compressor shaft by a 14mm nut. you're saying that part spins freely like the grooves that hold it on the compressor shaft are gone?
Feels like there is nothing behind the clutch. I have a 1Z compressor sitting here to compare notes with,and I can hear the internals of the compressor moving, and I feel resistance when I turn the 1Z compressor clutch.
So.........does it look like I need to replace the entire clutch mechanism?

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
take the 14mm nut off the front then remove the clutch plate and inspect the splines on the compressor shaft and the clutch plate

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
hmm. so the nut turns but the plate stays still?

sounds like the splines are gone probably in the plate.
Yes.
I bit the bullet,and ordered a remanufactured compressor, and drier.
Should I have bought anything else besides those two items?