Driver Gear springs for TDI?

neimis

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Passat TD, '01 Golf GL TDI, '15 Golf Trendline TDI
Anyone found a source in North America, or elsewhere for that matter?

The VW sport suspension kit "5G4 071 677E" seems to be the only one available in North America. It is not for the torsion beam rear.

Please don't clutter this thread with info about VWR, Eibach, H&R, ED, Neuspeed, etc. springs, or Bilstein, Koni, etc. shocks. Not interested. If you feel compelled, start another thread.

I am only looking for info about DG springs, thanks!

Daks

TDI
golf
I was looking at the same - from the research I've done, I think we're out of luck. The dealer told me that the highline models come with a 'sport suspension' i.e. stiffer springs; i've been unable to determine if the part numbers are different between my comfortline and the highline.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I purchased some of these springs a month or so ago to test fit. Just haven't gotten around to it. The rear springs share the same upper and lower cushions, so they'll fit in that regard. Just assuming the spring rates are different vs the IRS setup and can maybe be unnoticed with updated dampers.

Ottopop1

TDI
2015 Manual Golf TDI
I purchased some of these springs a month or so ago to test fit. Just haven't gotten around to it. The rear springs share the same upper and lower cushions, so they'll fit in that regard. Just assuming the spring rates are different vs the IRS setup and can maybe be unnoticed with updated dampers.

I would love to hear what you think when you get a chance to test fit them. I want to get a bit more low to even out the wheel gap on my mk7, and unfortunately every aftermarket spring set drops too far for my taste. The driver gear springs seem like the perfect reduction in height, if only we could find out if they do or don't fit for sure.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Agreed, I don't care for how low the other springs go. I'm not assuming the DG springs will work, but at the price I found them for I figured it was worth a shot being that the rears take no time to switch out.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
What part number were they? Did you purchase through the dealer? And were they the actual "Drivers Gear" spring set, or another system?

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
In Europe GTD’s and Bluemotion Golfs come with sport suspension that sit 15 mm lower than stock. One idea I had was doing GTD front springs and Bluemotion rears assuming they have beam rear suspension. The spring rate of Bluemotion front springs may be a shade light since it has a 1.6L.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I don't think they have a beam rear suspension, just a hunch, haven't confirmed.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I don't think they have a beam rear suspension, just a hunch, haven't confirmed.
The European mk7 golf models with less than 120 hp(including the bluemotion) get the torsion beam rear suspension.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
have you installed these yet? I am about to buy a set myself, i'd love to see if you had success with the kit
No, I have been swamped lately. Shame with the great weather this weekend. idparts has confirmed fitment of Alltrack springs on a GSW which proves that the springs for an IRS Golf/GSW will fit the TDI. Spring rate and ride height are still unknowns however. Would be cool to see them test these springs as well :cool:

neimis

Veteran Member
TDI
For those of you who haven't seen this yet, here is the TüV certificate for DG springs (I'm sorry I don't know whom to credit for this photo)
Choices for a 4-door TDI
Front:
MUB 071 675 or
MUB 071 675 A or
MUB 071675 B
Rear:
MUB 071 676 A
I believe the 5G4 071 677 E "kit" available at North American VW dealers is comprised of MUB 071 675 B and MUB 071 676 C.
Really frustrating that there is no information about which "kit" contains which springs.

neimis

Veteran Member
TDI
FOUND IT! (I'm pretty sure...)

DG springs for 4 door North American TDI: 5G4 071 677 B

The suffix "B" kit includes front springs MUB 071 675 B and rear springs MUB 071 676 A. This agrees with the TüV certificate I posted above.

Posted are photos from a Turkish site http://enderelektronik.com.tr/koltuk-isitma-dugmesi.html
showing, when enlarged, the actual box with part number, and the springs with part numbers.

The real problem, however, is finding a source for these. German sites I visited said "not available". Also, the drop is listed as 25 - 30mm, which is more than I'm looking for.

Last edited:

neimis

Veteran Member
TDI
adjat84th - when you find the time, you may want to try installing just the rear springs first, since those are relatively easy and are the "questionable" ones. If they obviously don't work, you're not out the trouble and effort of swapping the fronts.

The fronts should work, as they are the same ones in the "...677 B" kit.

Ottopop1

TDI
2015 Manual Golf TDI
½"-¾" Why even bother?
Personally looking for a 3/4", maybe 1" MAX drop. I want to even out the wheel gap so that it's equal gap in front of the wheel, on top of the wheel, and behind the wheel to the bumper. As these cars sit stock, there's a larger gap on top of the wheel than in the front and rear of the wheel. I don't want more than that, because that will then make the gap on top of the wheel less than in front of and behind the wheel.