Is 3400 RPM's normal at 80 for a 03 jetta wagon automatic?

DSLTOO

TDI
03 5 speed tdi sedan 6 speed, 03 tdi wagon automatic
Multiple Questions 1)Is 3400 RPM's normal at 80 for a 03 jetta wagon automatic?

Questions? I am currently looking at a 2003 ALH wagon auto jetta. I took it out for a test drive and the tach said 3400 ish rpm at 80 mph. Is this normal?. My 04 tdi sedan 5 speed runs about 2600 rpms
I also notice that if i throttle it the rpms go up faster than the speed of the vehicle but then catch up to each other. Is this tranny slip or just the way automatics normally drive?
What mileage can i expect if this is the normal rpms?
I have an 01 gaser 6 speed manual parts car. Any idea what a fair price for a mechanice to swap the trannys and parts? Will they mesh?
Car has 17900 miles on it and was a one owner car, in really good shape. Price $3700

Last edited:

1.4TDI PD

TDI
2.5TDI V6, 3.3TDI V8,3.0TDI V6,1.9TDI PD100
Sounds like your torque converter is not locking up. So the transmission feels like it"s sliping all the time do you have an acces to a vcds if you have then you should check for any fault codes and then work from there on.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I have an 01 gaser 6 speed manual parts car. Any idea what a fair price for a mechanice to swap the trannys and parts? Will they mesh?
Car has 17900 miles on it and was a one owner car, in really good shape. Price $3700
A gasser tranny will bolt up just fine. The problem you will have is the ratios will be completely wrong.

What makes the most sense is to just drive the gasser if it is drivable.

Last edited:

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
The 03 wagon uses an 01m tranny that is infamous for its problems as the milage accumilates.
IMO, those trannsmisions are not worth investing money and time into once they develop issues.

The best solution is to replace the automatic with a 5spd (02J) or 6spd (02M)manual from a diesel vehicle.
A gas manual trans will have a significantly lower final drive ratio resulting in increased rpms, reduce milage, and more noise and wear.

See....
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=434593

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
As noted, I would recommend steering clear of any used 01M equipped automatic. The only permanent fix for one that has begun acting up is a manual swap and that (in addition to other possible needed maintainence) will raise the real price of the vehicle beyond its worth.

DSLTOO

TDI
Does anyone have experience with how many hours it takes to do one of these swaps or a general cost range to have it done if i have a spare parts vehicle?

Were the automatics and sticks frames the same so that the bolt holes are already there or is this a total remodel job?

DSLTOO

TDI
Does anyone have experience with how many hours it takes to do one of these swaps or a general cost range to have it done if i have a spare parts vehicle?
Were the automatics and sticks frames the same so that the bolt holes are already there or is this a total remodel job?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Direct swap, no fabrications required. If you have a manual donor car that's the best scenerio. Just use a manual from a TDI or the gear ratios are all wrong and not conducive to drivability or economy.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've never done the auto to manual swap because I've avoided the autos like the plague, but swapped out some manuals. I think the shift cable and console work will be the biggest part of the job.
The tranny in/out could be just a few hours, especially with a lift and a helper.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Questions? I am currently looking at a 2003 ALH wagon auto jetta. I took it out for a test drive and the tach said 3400 ish rpm at 80 mph. Is this normal?. My 04 tdi sedan 5 speed runs about 2600 rpms
I also notice that if i throttle it the rpms go up faster than the speed of the vehicle but then catch up to each other. Is this tranny slip or just the way automatics normally drive?
What mileage can i expect if this is the normal rpms?
As has been said, the trans is in the early stages of a TCC failure, probably.
There is likely a stored code that will become a CEL with more miles driven.
It does give you the opportunity to offer a reduced price; at least $2000 less, IMO.
The car is still desirable if the condition is nice. (I assume you mean 179,000 mi.)
With a new or repaired auto expect 38-40 mpg, with a manual expect 48-50 mpg.

This is a comprehensive thread on the topic of swapping out the auto:
Project Kill Da Auto Wabbit!, Or how I learned to love the Manual Swap.
It can be found in the 'Upgrades' forum here.

Last edited:

DSLTOO

TDI
Thankyou for all the information. I looked up carfax and it look slike the tranny was replaced at 40000 miles already. Man them trannies must be a piece of work.

Another question. The car has 205 size tires on it. how much will this effect the gas mileage and how far off will it make the speedometer for mph and calculating mpg?

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
The proper tire size for an ALH TDI is 205/55 R 16 91H, (you really need to learn to be more specific on your tire sizes to get the right size). There is also a 15 inch size (I think 195/65 R15 91H) if that is what your rim size - you should be able to find it in the owners manual or on the car itself.

DSLTOO

TDI
The manual i have says 195, and the car has 205 on it, i didn't realize they were the same size. sorry to have wasted your time.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, most ALH Jetta sedans (I've had four so far) have had 195/65/15 OEM tires. I've run 205/65/15 and it brings the speedometer a bit closer to reading accurate and depends a bit on each tire brand/model. Odometer may read a couple percent low.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
My OEM tires were 195/65R15, but after they wore out I moved to 205/60R15 for a slightly wider contact patch at the same overall diameter, and never looked back.

Oh, and for information's sake, I'm turning about 2400 RPM with my 01M at 65mph on flat ground.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The ALH Golfs and Jettas, with the proper 195-65-15-91H tires, will turn just shy of 3000 RPMs at an indicated 80 MPH. A wee bit more than the manuals.

If you have the wrong size tires, then who knows.... but you can easily confirm the correct transmission by the 3 digit code in the case, visible from above, near the starter flange.

Most ALHs got the FDB, but they could also get EPB, ELT, and ECN. May be others, too.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Thankyou for all the information. I looked up carfax and it look slike the tranny was replaced at 40000 miles already. Man them trannies must be a piece of work.

Another question. The car has 205 size tires on it. how much will this effect the gas mileage and how far off will it make the speedometer for mph and calculating mpg?
Get a GPS app for your smartphone and display the mph while you drive and set your vehicle on a flat stretch of road where you can put the cruise control on and compare.

Generally, the speedometer indicates about 2 mph faster than the actual speed over ground.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Get a GPS app for your smartphone and display the mph while you drive and set your vehicle on a flat stretch of road where you can put the cruise control on and compare.

Generally, the speedometer indicates about 2 mph faster than the actual speed over ground.
Or use a real GPS...

DSLTOO

TDI
you guys are awesome, thanks for all the help

Im going to order a panzer plate and then i found a clunking in the front on bumpy road im going to have to figure out what that is

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
3,400 is definitely way too high. Not sure what it should be as I don't often drive an 01m car, but for sure it's a fair bit lower than this (doubt it's over 3,000 rpm). Good bet the TC is not locking up. Because there hasn't been any codes presented one really has no idea what is going on with this transmission. I'd at least look to get it scanned. Might be that one can bilk a few more miles out of this transmission by changing filter and fluid. I'm trying to extend the live of one with a new, rebuilt valve body (codes indicated that there's a chance it was the VB). Look around for CoolAirVW's threads on 01m issues: I got a rebuilt valve body from him.

Google around for "boertje transmission swap." I've got one of his old cars that he'd done an auto-to-manual swap on (lucky me, it's a 6spd!).

Cost depends on clutch (if going with a new one, AND, if going with an upgraded/performance clutch) and labor. Lower end somewhere around $750; high end close to $3k (6spd).

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
^^^ yeah, if going straight forward. One can get one's eye on these things to see if there's a gap around the rubber; if there is then there's a match. Do proper research before attempting to replace as these things can be a pain to do (they're deceptive).