Cold weather Tdi question

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen ~118K
Where I live we've been having some real cold weather, I'm talking single digits on the F scale. I've got no block heater or trickle charger.

I haven't have any issues starting whatsoever! Every seems to post on here with negative stuff, so I wanted to bring in some positive vibes!

Also, how do I completely disable the traction control, is that doable w/o vagcom? I want to be able to pull some doughnuts in the snow!

Here's a picture what an oil change looks like in the snow. https://i.imgur.com/7SJ2GLg.jpg

Happy New Year all! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Front wheel drive is pretty terrible for doughnut making fun. You should find an empty lot and try some e-brake slides- that's about as good as you'll get with fwd.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Please try resizing your picture to 800x600. As you see it blows the margins out on the page and makes it difficult to read. Plan those changes so they happen in warmer temps.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
With FWD its hard to do donuts, best to use e-brake. Thats what i did when I went to achicago with my TDI. Her forst and last time seeing snow and there was some salt there and thankfully no rust on my car so far. Anyway Have fun!

PS I dont think I ever can survive doing the oil change in that crazy frigid temp. LOL

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
I too have been happy when my little car starts in single digit temps. I usually cycle the key three times for about 10 seconds each. This morning it started harder than usual, but she still did. Gives me more confidence in her!

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
I am in my 4th winter with my TDI. It has never not started. There was one day at -34F when I forgot to plug it in, it did not like it but it started. I don't plug in till 0, and at that its just an oil pan heater and it runs for about an hr to hr half before I fire it up. Planning on a frost fighter install this spring thou. I know she will be alot happier that way. And so will I becuase 10 minutes driving a freezing ass cold car sucks.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
What quality options are there out there for engine pre-heaters?

Once upon a time I wanted to design a Thermostatically controlled timer. It would measure the temp at certain times and either turn on or not.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
What quality options are there out there for engine pre-heaters?

Once upon a time I wanted to design a Thermostatically controlled timer. It would measure the temp at certain times and either turn on or not.

Frostheater makes a nice kit. the heater includes a thermostat, which turns on and off the electric heater as needed to maintain coolant temperature.

http://www.frostheater.com/

https://www.idparts.com/frostheater-m-137.html

idparts sells them too, and will bundle coolant with the kit.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Perfect! Thanks!

Last winter it only froze here a handful of nights. So far this winter it's hasn't gotten above freezing since Christmas! But looks like the cycle breaks Monday.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
One really nice OEM option is the Euro/Canada spec coolant/block heater. It works great here in -40. Tonight it'll be -28C, and I don't think twice about the car even with only 1/4 tank of fuel (and no additive in this tank :p ). I'll plug in the car any time it's going to be lower than -10C overnight. I've left it out in -24C overnight and it started fine but I don't like to tempt fate, nor stress the TDI unless necessary (IE. staying at a hotel, or in a parking lot overnight).

Don't forget to use the proper fuel additive to prevent gelling in cold weather. This seems to be a pretty common problem this year in the eastern half of the US for whatever reason.

http://powerservice.com/psp_product/diesel-fuel-supplement-cetane-boost/
Agreed. I use that same additive as well, seem to get 40-50 miles better per tank.

One reason the fuel is likely to gel in the eastern US this year is that they don't typically expect so much cold weather at the refineries, and it takes some time to turnaround the equipment for winterized production. If they weren't planning on it you could be stuck with basically a summer blend.

Wascally Wabbit

TDI
2010 TDI
+1 on the frostheater. I put one on my tdi before moving to Alaska and it worked flawlessly for years, however I never felt I ever really needed it as I never had an issue when I didn't plug it in. But it is nice to have the heater blow warm air right away.