oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
fishmando said:
So does:
Airbox: 1J0129607AK
AIRCLEANER $91.55

...Include the top and bottom or just the bottom?

Also, I want to replace my MAF housing with something bigger since I am about to remap... What is a good combo of airbox top and housing?
The 1J0129607AK is the complete airbox, with airfilter pre-installed.
The price at impex is more than the price at 1stvwparts.com. Split the order for best pricing, but calculate seperate shipping to see what the savings really are.

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
tongsli said:
Justin, is it the VR6 (top portion) airbox that has the interference? Or the lower R32 portion?

Lito
I think that the piece that goes under the headlight is the one that will touch the battery box, Justin can you verify this:) ?

my parts suppost to be showing up tomorrow from impex;)

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
With the stock airbox and battery cover, I just don't see where the interfence is going to be.

Delvi, can you please post some pictures?

Turbosprezarka

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (ALH) GLS, 5sp, Tornado Red, 301,593 miles, SOLD
The box also comes in a cold climate version, but do we need this? I'm guessing the spring loaded flapper is only there to prevent engine stall if the main opening becomes clogged or frozen over? Is there any other reason why we "could" need the cold climate box?

Last edited:

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Crap. My wife has the camera... She's been using it for work, othewise I'd take pics right now.
The under headlight portion is what guides the snorkle. The larger size snorkle is just that, larger. It places the larger snorkle just a bit too close to the battery box. The interference, as I've stated before, is along the side of the battery box, where it contacts the snorkle and snorkle only...
Again. Sorry I've not had time to take pics. Seems every time I have a moment, the camera isnt here!

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
I'm assuming this really won't benefit a stock set-up on a PD?

Thanks
-Tony

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
Parts from impex

well the parts came in yesterday from impex, but I just find out that the stock north america version of the R32 airbox is too small for the big intake snorkel:mad: :mad:

so I call impex to see if I can get a airbox ASAP so I can install everything on the weekend:cool:

here is some pictures of the parts.
looks like I will be bussy on the weekend:D

[/IMG]

and this one is very nice just to give you guys an idea of the size:eek:

[/IMG]

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
Occams_Razor said:
What part number did you order for the accordian hose? :confused:
I got the air box from vwvortex from a US spec R32, that hose on the picture is just part of my other upgrading project, that one goes from the MAF to the PD150 inlet pipe(OMI) hopefully I will be able to install the PD150 intake manifold and the BF SMIC all at once:D

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Delvi, order the airbox from 1stvwparts. Its where I got mine, and it will be alot cheaper!!! What is the part # on the airbox you got on vortex? It should have been 1J0129607AK, or if you must have the cold climate euro version with the flapper, impex should have it... IMPEX SKU # 331945
I should add that you can mod your stock airbox to fit as well....
http://www.gti25.de/viewtopic.php?t=1172&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
as promised, finally I've taken pics of the trimmed battery box.
here is the view from above. You can see the snorkle along side the box, and kinda how it goes underneath.

here is the same view with the lid removed, more clearly showing the snorkle and how it tucks under the trimmed area slightly.

Here is a shot of the battery box lid. It was late, so my trimming is kinda clumsy, but it shows the area that must be removed.

And here is a shot of the lower box and the snorkle wrapping under and around. The view is from the drivers door looking forward towards the headlight. You can see where the lower box was trimmed as well.

Again, sorry it took so long to get these shots.
I am thinking of getting ahold of a full battery box and tray from a vr6 or 1.8t to see if it will not interfere... I suppose you could also mod the battery box to move it further inboard by about 1/2" to provide clearance.

Last edited:

dok

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V
oldpoopie,

Thanks for posting all the pictures, it looks great. I'm curious about part# 1JO 129 607 AK is this for the R32 Air Box. If so, then do I need to order a top to a VR6 Air box(part #) to match w/ my current MAF? I currently have a K&N and don't have the original Air box.

Thanks,

David K.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
The VR6 Airbox would have a bigger MAF opening. You would need an aircleaner from a TDI to match the size of the TDI MAF, (iirc the 1.8 MAF is smaller).

The tops and the bottoms are not available seperately. It comes as a unit.

The 1J0 129 607 AK is for the complete euro R32 DSG Airbox without the cold weather flap.

dok said:
oldpoopie,

Thanks for posting all the pictures, it looks great. I'm curious about part# 1JO 129 607 AK is this for the R32 Air Box. If so, then do I need to order a top to a VR6 Air box(part #) to match w/ my current MAF? I currently have a K&N and don't have the original Air box.

Thanks,

David K.

dok

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V
Does anyone have the part # for the ALH stock air box. Any other parts needed to go back to stock. I don't have a catalog or diagram of parts.

Thanks in advance,

David K.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Occams_Razor said:
The VR6 Airbox would have a bigger MAF opening. You would need an aircleaner from a TDI to match the size of the TDI MAF, (iirc the 1.8 MAF is smaller).

The tops and the bottoms are not available seperately. It comes as a unit.

The 1J0 129 607 AK is for the complete euro R32 DSG Airbox without the cold weather flap.
This is a picture of the 1J0 129 607AK airbox and the intake snorkle

dok

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V
So if I went back to stock air box, then ordered R32 Air box, I could use the top of the stock box to join to the bottom of the R32 (1J0 129 607 AK)?

Justler

Veteran Member
Is there any reason why just changing the intake snorkle to the R32 version then trimming my stock airbox wouldn't achieve the same effect?

dok

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V
Page #1 second posting by oldpoopie I believe shows a picture of modifying the stock airbox bottom.

Incidently, I answered my question about. The ALH stock airbox part # 1J0 129 607 CG

Justler said:
Is there any reason why just changing the intake snorkle to the R32 version then trimming my stock airbox wouldn't achieve the same effect?

Last edited:

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
As per my experience, all of the mk4 golf/jettas use the same size air filter, and all of the upper and lower airboxes are interchangeable. And yes, you may trim your stock airbox to fit, though you wont have as good a seal.

Suns_PSD

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Just to clarify:

If I order just the following:

Intake snorkel: 1J0 129 609 G
IMPEX SKU # 331954
Special Order European Part
Price: $42.27

I can trim my battery box a bit and cut a larger hole into my stock air box, seal it up, and see an improvement in turbo spool up on a lightly modified (RC1+) PD motor in a 2005.5 Jetta?

Is this all correct?

Also, I guess a MAF is some sort of air flow sensor built into the factory airbox? Is there any advantage to running the larger one?

Thanks!

fishmando

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd
Suns_PSD said:
Also, I guess a MAF is some sort of air flow sensor built into the factory airbox? Is there any advantage to running the larger one?
The MAF sensor is (Mass Air Flow Sensor) is just after the air box. You can see the wires going to it. A larger one will flow more but sensor will read wrong unless you get it adjusted with a custom tune. It is not a necessary change with a stock turbo.

Also:
So if I was using the R32 Euro DSG box (top and bottom) and snorkle what would the MAF and accordion tube situation be?

What could I order to have a MAF holder (is a new sensor needed too?) and all the are the same size as the outlet on the R32 air box?

Last edited:

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
Not to add another wrinkle to this (oldpoopie is now shaking his head), but does the part that goes underneath the headlight actually allow more air as well? I'm assuming that is does, otherwise:

1) air enters the front of the car with stock grill opening...

2) connected to the piece that runs under the headlight (is the ID actually bigger? THat piece does look bigger in the 1st photo)

3) R32 snorkle...

4) R32 Air box...

5) Bigger MAF...

Even if the snorkle ID is bigger, is everything in FRONT OF THE SNORKLE bigger as well? Doesn't the opening in the grill HAVE TO BE JUST AS LARGE?

thanks... :D ... curious... (ALL CAPS-- not shouting!) ... thanks for the photos!

Last edited:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
oldpoopie said:
as promised, finally I've taken pics of the trimmed battery box.
here is the view from above. You can see the snorkle along side the box, and kinda how it goes underneath.

here is the same view with the lid removed, more clearly showing the snorkle and how it tucks under the trimmed area slightly.

Here is a shot of the battery box lid. It was late, so my trimming is kinda clumsy, but it shows the area that must be removed.

And here is a shot of the lower box and the snorkle wrapping under and around. The view is from the drivers door looking forward towards the headlight. You can see where the lower box was trimmed as well.

Again, sorry it took so long to get these shots.
I am thinking of getting ahold of a full battery box and tray from a vr6 or 1.8t to see if it will not interfere... I suppose you could also mod the battery box to move it further inboard by about 1/2" to provide clearance.

Justin,

Did you try loosening up the 4-battery tray bolts and sliding everything to the passenger's side?

The interference doesn't seem like it's alot. But you're right about the R32's battery size vs the TDI.

That alone would fix this problem.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
I did, unfortunately it wasnt enough. I dont mind trimming, especially when its out of sight, but I know that some do. We know that the optima is a smaller battery than stock and that it is functional in our cars. We should measure it to see if the r32 box will fit the optima or similar battery.

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
Done!!

I installed the snorkel, the piece under/behind the headlight today and I modified the US spec R32 air box that I had to make the snorkel fit, still have the stock TDI top of the airbox(I will change that soon)

I was able to keep the battery box without trimming:D

while the bumper was off I also installed the upgraded side mount intercooler;)

Last edited: