broken strut options?

purptrip

TDI
2011 sportswagen
Hi guys new here

I have a strut that is both leaking and the coil has broke on my 2011 golf wagon. I am wondering if anyone has any feedback on monroe quick struts looks like i can get a set for around 550 cad. Also any feedback on if im wasting my time and should just spend the money on a set of konis? I can get a full koni suspension kit with eibach springs for around 1000 shipped all in. Or should i save my money up and go with a bilstein coils and shocks with eibach springs. Being very indecisive and just looking for some opinions on either brand.

Thanks

Last edited:

Petra's cousin

TDI
Mk VI TDI Golf Wagon
I have a set of springs off our 2011 wagon down here in Calgary if you want them, free, you just need to figure out how to get them.

John

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Those quick struts are junk. That is what a used car lot will throw on something just to make it driveable. Don't use them. We put a few on here because the other techs are too lazy and too stupid to know any better (these idiots do not touch Volkswagens, thankfully), and they all are loose and clunking around less than 25k miles later.... and sadly in many cases the cars didn't even need them replaced in the first place. :rolleyes:

I'd just buy the new parts you need, with good quality stuff, and rebuild the assemblies as needed. Sachs/BOGE is generally the OEM for the strut, if you just want a stock replacement. If you live in a salty area, Bilsteins will hold up FAR better than Koni stuff, which turns to dust in a few years.