2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.9L TDI Wagon 5-speed - Illinois

k3wals

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.9L TDI Wagon 5-speed - $4,500 - Illinois Chicago Suburbs

All pictures on my local Craigslist Ad: https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/d/mchenry-2003-volkswagen-jetta-gls-19l/6986744372.html

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.9L TDI Wagon with 5-speed manual. I bought this car from the first owner at 105k miles in 2012 and it has 230k now. This was my daily driver but our family is growing so I bought a more family suited car. I also work very close to home so the short commutes (15 minutes) are not ideal for the MPG potential this car has for extended travel. Engine, interior, and exterior are in excellent condition. The car is lightly tuned for performance, handling, and looks. Most often I would upgrade things only when then needed attention or replacement.
The original owner (older folks) took their car in for maintenance and repairs but in my case I took care of everything myself on time with the exception of tires. Always used OEM or OEM equivalent parts (from IDParts) for repairs as necessary. I have all the previous owners' and my documentation available.
I would hop into this car and drive it cross-country with no hesitation. I've traveled up to 789 miles on a single tank before. My fuel history since 2012 to date is on Fuelly.
Exterior
  • 17" OEM Volkswagen "Arietta" wheels with fresh set of General GMAX RS tires (less than 2k miles)
  • Complete winter tire set with Blizzaks (several seasons left) on two piece BBS RSII wheels. Centers are powder coated gray.
  • Glass replacement headlight lenses (no more fade ever!)
  • Dieselgeek 1/4" aluminum skidplate
  • Has two rust spots that need some attention
  • Front fendors and hood were replaced to address the usual VW rust in those spots (was actually a recall I didn't make it in time for
Interior
Pretty good for its age. Non-smoking. The only thing that needs attention is the glove-box handle is broken and won't open. There are repair parts available.
  • New South Performance boost and EGR gauge.
  • GROM Audio USB3 and bluetooth interface. It's like a modern car! Play music from flash drive or through bluetooth. Works very well.
Engine
  • VNT17 Turbo
  • 2.5" Buzzken downpipe w/ cat delete
  • PP764 nozzles
  • EGR delete with straight through throttle body (aka "race pipe")
  • 3 bar map
  • Larger intercooler
  • 2.5" Stainless hard intake pipes
  • Malone Tuning Stage 4 Tune
Suspension/Drivetrain/Brakes
  • Wavetrac Limited Slip Differential LSD + ARP Bolts installed at 176k
  • South Bend Stage 2 Endurance clutch - The clutch has had a squeak upon engagement of gear from day 1 of installation; it's inherent to the design. It'll last forever.
  • Audi TT short shifter
  • Audi TT lower control arm bushings
  • Koni FSD struts
  • Shine Racing Real Street Spring Kit (1.8T) with spacers in the rear to even out the stance
  • Zimmerman rotors + Akebono pads
  • Shine Racing rear anti-sway bar
Other
  • New OEM battery in 2014 (original lasted 11 years!)
  • Check engine light is on because of the EGR delete. Would have to ask Malone Tuning to add that feature
  • Malone Tuning Flashzilla matching this cars VIN
Needed or Upcoming TLC
As mentioned before, two small rust spots on exterior.
With my short commutes over the last two years and miles, not allowing the engine to fully warm up has caused more soot to accumulate in the turbo and it'll likely need a cleaning or replacment. The boost doesn't build up as needed which indicates sticky vanes
Third timing belt change is coming up in 10k miles
I'm asking for $4,500, or $4,000 without the winter tire set. I'm not in a rush to sell.

Last edited:

LovinPSDs

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Gone, looking for a cheap commuter
Good looking car! I'm going to talk with my wife about this one tonight.

Wish the TB was done, I haven't found a local VW mechanic here in SW Indiana yet.

k3wals

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Good looking car! I'm going to talk with my wife about this one tonight.

Wish the TB was done, I haven't found a local VW mechanic here in SW Indiana yet.
Thanks. By TB do you mean throttle body? I do have the straight through "race pipe" installed. Just updated description. Added engine picture to CL listing too.

Last edited:

k3wals

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Howdy k3wals, I see the rust spot on the driver's side rocker panel, where's the other rust spot?
You're right about the rocker panel behind the wheel. I think the other side has a tiny bit too. The other place I mentioned was near the rear glass. Really just needs touch up paint.

Are image uploads disabled on this site?