Need pics of blk Jettas with 35% or 20% tint

Excel22

TDI
2006 Jetta
I'm getting my windows tinted this weekend on my 06' blk on blk Jetta and I'm really having a tough time choosing between the 35 or 20 percent tint. I've PM'ed a few members and got some help but I'm looking for more pictures and suggestions from other's that have black jetta's with tint. I think with the blk paint and the dark interior the 35% might look darker then it really is and get the better visibility from the inside over what the 20% gives. I don't want to be a target for the cops but I don't want to wish 2 weeks later I'd had gone darker. People with tint are you happy with your tint? Any should have went lighter/darker stories out there? How about going with different shades for each set of windows(35 on the front sides 20 on the back sides etc. Does it look ok or is all the same shade better?) Any help,suggestions,feedback would be great! Thanks!!!

Oh BTW I'm getting all 4 sides and the rear done:)

corvair

TDI
Jetta, 2002, Blue
I have the dark blue car and I went with 20% all around. I also have black interior so it looks real dark. I love it. It really keeps the inside of the car cool and I don't seem to have any problems seeing at night. I have had it on for about a year now and haven't had a single problem with the authorities.

Either way you go, I would recommend using the same percent all around. I personally don't like two different percentages on the same car.

Excel22

TDI
2006 Jetta
The tint doesn't look to dark in that first picture you posted. Looks like the sun is coming in the front window. Do you have any pics directly from the side on a sunny day or any day for that matter.

bulabula

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta; A4 Golf 2-door; Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel
I went darker all the way around (4 doors and rear window) with my White Jetta; but I sometimes get paranoid about the two front door windows being so dark. Next time I'll do the front doors lighter.

The guy behind me at the tint place was a police officer with his new Golf, and he got the same tint as me (except he didn't do the rear window). It was because of that conversation with him that I bought the darker tint. He said to stay away from the mirror'd tint - you're guaranteed to be stopped.

On the other hand, I have received many compliments on the car with dark tinted windows.

Amphicar770

Veteran Member
bulabula said:
The guy behind me at the tint place was a police officer with his new Golf, and he got the same tint as me (except he didn't do the rear window). It was because of that conversation with him that I bought the darker tint.
Not sure if I would let that guide my decision.

At least in Pennsylvania (where every two-bit town has its own police dept), if your cop friend gets pulled over doing 150mph. driving down the wrong side of the road, with completely blacked out windows, he will flash his badge and be on his way. If you are doing 30 mph down the same road, while taking Mother Theresa to pick up a Nobel prize, they will stop YOU and be threatening to impound your car while they write up a ticket.

But, it does look awesome on the black Jetta!!

Maven

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI, Black/Black, PKG2
I'm getting 50% on the fronts, 35% to the rears, and 15% to the back to create a graduated effect from the front to the back on my black Jetta Saturday morning. Hopefully I'll have some pics up Saturday afternoon/night, but sounds like that would be too late. It is going to be Llumar Charcoal tint.

Something you'll also have to consider is that different tints have different reflectivity, measurements, color, etc. So a 35% tint of one brand may look lighter than a 50% of another brand. The difference between 20% and 35% would be tough to distiquish without the assistance of a light meter.

This post has an example of different shades with specs posted behind the tinted glass. You also need to remember that the factory glass has about a 15-20% tint already applied, just roll down the window partway to see the difference. The glass on the Jetta's has a greenish hue to it, so when you get the tint applied it will have some of that color still showing through. The only option to fix that is all new glass.
http://www.tintdude.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t26375.html

bulabula

Veteran Member
TDI
Note: The Jetta was my first experience with window tinting.

When I went in for the tinting, the owner showed me a couple types of tint screen material of the same darkness. One was a little less expensive and used for the quote, and the other was of higher quality and cost $30 more.

The less expensive tint had a tinted coating on the clear plastic. That tint could be scraped off - he showed me. The other tint screen was thicker and tinted all the way through - you couldn't scrape the tint off like the other stuff.

He said that if I didn't intend to keep the car long term the cheaper stuff would be fine, but if I intended to keep the car longer, I would be happier in the long run with the more expensive stuff. I gave him $30 more.

cmavis

what % you go?

How dark did you end up going? When you get a chance, could you post up some pictures of your car? I am considering 20%, but the whole legal issue is making me hesitate. I could be persuaded by some killer pics though!

:D

Excel22

TDI
2006 Jetta
Bulabula your jetta looks great with the tint. How are you with seeing out the sides and rear at night? I would think if your in the city with street lights it shouldn't be to bad, what about if your out in the country somewhere? I'm going to see if the tinter has any 30% tint maybe that might be a good compromise.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Excel, with my 20% at the top of the thread, I sometimes wish I had went darker when it's sunny out.... and at night in poorly lit areas I wish I had gone lighter, as it is sometimes difficult to make out objects when it is very dark out...:confused:

All in all, I think the 20% is a perfect compromise for me. I don't have to flip the mirror to "night" mode anymaore, and no issues with local law enforcement up here yet either...

bulabula

Veteran Member
TDI
Excel22 (Is that a Wellcraft?), my tint is 20% Graphite. The windshield is clear and I don't have any problems or issues with the tint, but it took a little getting used to when looking out the side windows and thinking it was going to storm or something. Sorta like walking around with sunglasses on all day. Backing up, or looking backwards is no problem.

At night I get a little reflection or illumination from the center brake light in the rear window but its of no concern.

As a tint newbie, the ONE issue that I did have was that when I first got the tint installed I didn't know that I had to keep the windows up for 4-5 days. It may sound trivial to some, but I like fresh air, and it was a major PIA for me (like parking in a garage where I have to lower the window to wave the magic wand to open the gate). Fortunately I have another truck and car to drive.

Excel22

TDI
2006 Jetta
Well I got the car back today. Ended up going with the 20% all around. Looks like a mafia car now the tinter joking said! He also pointed out a nice ding in the drivers rear quarter right behind the door!! It must of just happened in the last couple days because I waxed the car last week and I know it wasn't there. Man did that put a damper on getting the tint done:( Car is only 3 weeks old. I'm going to look into getting the paintless dent repair done. On a good note the wife did mention about getting a sunroof put in:) Who would be best to get for getting a sunroof put in? It rained all day so I'll put some pics up as soon as i get it cleaned up. Thanks everyone for all the help!

cmavis

Looking forward to seeing those pictures!

How much did it end up costing ya?

JGordon

TDI
Jetta 2006 White DSG 53.75 all time high 43.5-44.5 average
bulabula said:
Here's my White Jetta:

Bulabula you have a very sharp car!

Mine looks just like it. I went with 20% tint because it is the darkest allowed legally in my state.