1.9 TDI AXR turbo whine, normal?

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
So I have noticed on my car when the engine is cold after starting it overnight the turbo seems louder and has some of the dreaded whine/siren noise however after the engine warms up the noise goes away, is this normal I have linked a video so you guys can hear it, turbo is new has like 15k KM on it car has about 97k KM car is a MK4 Jetta
https://youtu.be/FfKubuA3eaU

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Car was ditched for 6 months without being started at all, then it was started without checking anything and turbo went bad as well as the injectors which were also replaced, its a KP39, replaced with a brand new OEM unit by BorgWarner.
Might be too paranoid about the sound as I have seen other tdis make it too, not sure though.

Last edited:

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
A car sitting unused for 6 months should not affect the turbo.
Whatever killed it could be doing the same to the new turbo. Low oil pressure? FOD?
Pull off the outlet hose on the turbo and use a mirror to see if there is a mark where
the compressor wheel has made contact. *Sorry, this should have said inlet hose.*

Last edited:

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
A car sitting unused for 6 months should not affect the turbo.
Whatever killed it could be doing the same to the new turbo. Low oil pressure? FOD?
Pull off the outlet hose on the turbo and use a mirror to see if there is a mark where
the compressor wheel has made contact.
Car is due for an oil change and I just checked the oil and the level is a bit below the cross check pattern on the dipstick so I will be doing an oil change today, im not entirely sure there is something wrong with the turbo as the car still pulls hard and doesnt smoke at all, if there was something wrong with it wouldnt the noise be present at all times? It goes away after driving for a bit once car gets warm.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
The sound on your clip isn't as loud as mine was went it started squealing.
I continued driving it for at least 6 months without losing any oil and then replaced.

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
I have researched around and see people with louder noises that claim turbo is bad, however other people claim its normal, sound isnt loud at all and goes away so I will assume its normal operation.

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
https://youtu.be/wtIqo688S30
Here is another clip, sound comes in when you let off the throttle at around 1500-2000 rpm it isnt there while accelerating, some people say its normal others say replace turbo, it has just been replaced 10k kms ago, any ideas anyone?

Not burning up any oil, also in the video the sound is really loud because car is parked close to 2 concrete walls so they reflect sound alot.

Last edited:

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
I personally don’t hear anything out of the ordinary. Keep in mind I’m a total noob though. I’m sure a more experienced member will chime in soon

I’ll see if my car makes the same sound next time I’m in it

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Ugh such an annoying issue if that, seems its 50/50 on the turbo being fine or how its about to blow up, which wouldnt make sense seeing it has 10k kms on it, not sure what to think.

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
OP
How is the axial and lateral play of the impeller?
i would visually inspect impeller for signs of it touching the housing.

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
OP
How is the axial and lateral play of the impeller?
i would visually inspect impeller for signs of it touching the housing.
Honestly besides basic car maintenance, im not mechanically savvy enough to know how to check the turbo itself.