View Single Post
Old January 15th, 2019, 20:58   #7
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Prefect... yeah, fire up your VCDS and see if the coolant sensor sees ambient properly with the engine stone cold. Then check again after she's been running a while and the dash reads 90, and then again after she's been plugged in over night. That will give you 3 data points to access if the CTS is telling the truth.

That said, they are easy to swap out and cheap too... but I always like to gather some evidence before the march to the gallows?!

Oh, and with VCDS hooked up for sure scan the engine for codes...there may be pending ones that haven't turned on the CEL.

Your 2005 has a PD engine and it does its own ignition timing... nothing to adjust... dunno if you can even measure it. It's possible to measure the cam/crank timing ("torsion"), but I'd be hard pressed to understand why the car starts so well in most situations if there was an issue with the cam timing.

Crank sensor is the usual next suspect for a hot start issue... but you didn't have this problem in the summer, right, or if you try to start the engine when it's hot on its own?

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.

Last edited by Vince Waldon; January 15th, 2019 at 21:01.
Vince Waldon is online now   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06713 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 16.22 Kb. compressed to 14.46 Kb. by saving 1.76 Kb. (10.84%)]